Quantcast

Who is leaving BoA?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The populist in me thinks that this is still an attempt to soak the poor in this country. From a NYT article:

Only Bank of America customers with more than $20,000 in combined checking, savings and certificate of deposit accounts or a bank mortgage (of any size) will be able to avoid both the debit card fee and any other monthly fee for falling below a required minimum balance level.
And right now (before this whole debit card fee thing), 71% of Americans avoid paying any fees at all.

But, over 70% of bank customers say that they don’t pay a single penny for their banking services, according to the American Bankers Association.
Guess who those remaining 30% are... poorer people without a mortgage or direct deposit or a nice big fat IRA would be my guess. Those of us who are middle-class or higher will always find a way around these fees. Credit unions won't charge them, and there will always be smaller internet-only banks willing to not charge fees so that they can get more customers. ING, Ally, etc are all offering far more in interest on savings accounts than traditional banks in an effort to do just that, and that adds up to more than a measly $3 or $5/month. Of course, then you need an internet connection and a computer and the financial knowledge to set it all up, something that poorer people are less likely to have.

Maybe we really do need a Project Mayhem?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
You realize that the fee has only taken a different form. It's an end run around the Frank-Dodd act. You're not really paying any more than you have been.
Sort of. One of the biggest positives of this is that it's now going to be paid by the consumer instead of the retail establishment. Up until now it was hidden from consumers because it was charged to the store, and store's are expressly prohibited from charging a customer more for using plastic (although they can charge *less* for using cash). You couldn't walk into a store and see a "extra 3% added to your bill if you pay by credit card" sign, so most most stores just had to up their prices or eat the cost.

Of course, I wonder whether stores will actually reduce their prices by $0.20 or whether they'll just pocket it...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
:stupid:

USAA FTMFW.
I used Nationsbank Military Bank for a long time, then they became part of BofA...tolerated the occasional BS from them for a long time but finally switched to USAA for banking as well as my insurance. Still have to close my BofA accounts entirely, though.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Pretty sad when the bank bills you to keep pre-deposited money that they (theoretically) make money off on loans, shows how well the economy is doing! Furthermore your risking your money on their loans regardless, but its technically irrelevant; FDIC insurance means the government will just print more money!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
For any boston-area folks looking for a good credit union:
Digital Credit Union

They're high tech enough so I can deposit checks and move money around with my phone. They're local. My checks are free. They're part of the CU Service Center group, so there are quite a few places to walk into around new england.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Who's leaving? ...I hope everyone.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-18/bofa-said-to-split-regulators-over-moving-merrill-derivatives-to-bank-unit.html

Bank of America Corp. (BAC), hit by a credit downgrade last month, has moved derivatives from its Merrill Lynch unit to a subsidiary flush with insured deposits, according to people with direct knowledge of the situation.
The Federal Reserve and Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. disagree over the transfers, which are being requested by counterparties, said the people, who asked to remain anonymous because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. The Fed has signaled that it favors moving the derivatives to give relief to the bank holding company, while the FDIC, which would have to pay off depositors in the event of a bank failure, is objecting, said the people. The bank doesn’t believe regulatory approval is needed, said people with knowledge of its position.
Three years after taxpayers rescued some of the biggest U.S. lenders, regulators are grappling with how to protect FDIC- insured bank accounts from risks generated by investment-banking operations. Bank of America, which got a $45 billion bailout during the financial crisis, had $1.04 trillion in deposits as of midyear, ranking it second among U.S. firms.
“The concern is that there is always an enormous temptation to dump the losers on the insured institution,” said William Black, professor of economics and law at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and a former bank regulator. “We should have fairly tight restrictions on that.”
We should. We don't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Never was with BoA, never will be. Currently with HSBC, and am very happy (other than the interesting on my savings account dropping off to practically nothing), but I'm starting to search around for local credit unions given the current state of the economy.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Speaking of fashionably late, as of yesterday, I have finally removed all of my business with Bank of America. Took me two years to get the motivation.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
looks like they smartened up and dropped the $5 fee
Nov. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Bank of America Corp. (BAC), the second- biggest U.S. lender by deposits, dropped plans to charge a $5 monthly fee for debit cards after a nationwide backlash from customers and lawmakers.
“We have listened to our customers very closely over the last few weeks and recognize their concern with our proposed debit usage fee,” David Darnell, co-chief operating officer, said in a statement from the Charlotte, North Carolina-based lender today. “As a result, we are not currently charging the fee and will not be moving forward with any additional plans to do so.”
BofA Eliminates Plan for $5 Debit-Card Fee - Bloomberg

SacredYeti

Monkey
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
Fashionably late?
There is NOTHING fashionable about what I do, haha.

Nah, just I've been with California Coast CU since I was 18yo and have had not one issue, whereas all my friends with Chase and Wells Fargo seem to never stop complaining about banks this or banks that... no BoA issues though.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I just saw that WF charged me a $15 "monthly account maintenance fee" last month??!? WTF??! No notification, no alert, no option to cancel it, just a "hey, we're hitting you for $15, thanks!"

:rant:

Looks like it's off to switch all of my checking/savings accounts over to ING...

(I'm pretty sure it's because we don't have our mortgage with WF anymore, but still, you'd think that they'd give you a heads up before poking you in the butt)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I just saw that WF charged me a $15 "monthly account maintenance fee" last month??!? WTF??! No notification, no alert, no option to cancel it, just a "hey, we're hitting you for $15, thanks!"

:rant:

Looks like it's off to switch all of my checking/savings accounts over to ING...

(I'm pretty sure it's because we don't have our mortgage with WF anymore, but still, you'd think that they'd give you a heads up before poking you in the butt)
Yup. USBank pulled the same isht with us cause we had a zero balance in our "savings" account at the end of one month. They closed it and then charged us for not having it. :rant: So now we keep 5 bucks in "savings" just so they don't pull that crap again. I would go all local credit union if USBank didn't hold our mortgage.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
BAC took an auto-payment on a card I had paid in full the week prior. That card is linked to a secondary checking acct which had a $1 balance, as I have consolidated everything into our primary checking acct for the home purchase. I now get to explain to my mortgage lender why I have an NSF in my checking account. Thanks BAC!
I will be closing pretty much all of my CC's once I close on the house. BAC = gone.