Quantcast

Why are all bike shops closed on Sunday???

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
All 4 of the bike shops within 20 miles of my house are closed on sunday. And today I desperately needed a road tube and I ended up having to drive the 30 miles to the local REI and explain to the "bike mechanic" there that a Schrader Valve will not fit a rim made for Presta and that I did not want a 38c-43c tube for my 25c tire. But he finally found the 700c x 25c tube I needed and i paid the $6.00 for it (they're $4.00 at the LBS) and made it home in time for my ride.

Lets just say that I'm stocking up on tubes come monday because probably 4 out of my last 5 flats have occurred on Sunday.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
don't ride road...that'll solve your problem right there. if you rode mtb with us more often you could just call one of the many cool mtb'ers that live near you and we'd gladly hook you up with a tube.....but roadies...well, good luck ;)

and shops are closed on sundays because shop owners like to ride too.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I don't ride that much road, just a ride for charity here and there. But i can get a 26'' tube at the wally world that'll last at least until the shop opens monday. Road tubes are much harder to come by apparently.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
All our shops are open on Sundays but charge way more than $4 for a tube. More like $7-$8. Last time I was in REI they were $5.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
We have several shops in austin open on sundays. Always great when you bust your bike on a sunday ride. Drop it off on the way home.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The shop I work at takes the "wewanttoridetoodamnit" approach, and are only open mon-thurs. Does this cost us business? No doubt. Do we think it's worth making a bit more money if we don't have time to do fun stuff with it, i.e. go on bike trips? Nope.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
all the shops by my house are open, however the staff(including where i work) is alternated so each guy gets 2-3 days off.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
We have several shops in austin open on sundays. Always great when you bust your bike on a sunday ride. Drop it off on the way home.
BSS(N) was good at making sure that if you worked Sat, you were off on Sun. I loved how Dylan did the scheduling.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
All the shops within 20 miles from me are open sundays, most are open seven days a week, Our shop, we try to make sure if you work Sat, your off SUn, unless you offer it up to work all weekend.

As far as tubes being six or seven dollars, get used to it, all shops will be that way soon enough, amazing what happens when the cost to the shops goes up

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I used my last spare tube a couple days ago. So ineeded a spare before i went riding. The only place open was performance, their "forte" tubes are thinner than a 25 cent condom.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Why are you unprepared for the relatively common occurence of a flat tire? Its the shops fault you got a flat because they were not open?
I have MTB tubes and a patch kit but since i rarely ride road i figured that the patch kit would be enough, but the stem blew out of the tube from being old. And I'm not saying that it's the shops fault, i just dont understand why they can't adjust their work schedules so nobody has to work 7 days a week like almost all other businesses.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I have MTB tubes and a patch kit but since i rarely ride road i figured that the patch kit would be enough, but the stem blew out of the tube from being old. And I'm not saying that it's the shops fault, i just dont understand why they can't adjust their work schedules so nobody has to work 7 days a week like almost all other businesses.
Because there are 3 full time people and 2 part time people for 2 locations. I live in a small town. If someone isn't a douche and knows how to find me, they can have a tube on Sunday.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
And I'm not saying that it's the shops fault, i just dont understand why they can't adjust their work schedules so nobody has to work 7 days a week like almost all other businesses.
Because there is something mysterious and magical about the bicycle business that we outsiders are far too stupid and closed-minded to understand.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I don't think anyone is asking an LBS to be open at 2am on Wed. But middle of the afternoon on a weekend? Come on....
Sorry, wasn't referencing you, just the notion that businesses need to be open every day in the week. My town has a mix - most are closed no Sunday, but 2 are open. If you get desperate, even a wal mart has tubes or a patch kit.

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
They are closed on Sundays to help out companies like REI and Performance. Everyone needs sales these days and bigger companies have more overhead so they can really use the extra money. :thumb: They are such nice guys... :D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I told that Kraut a ****in' thousand times, I don't roll on shabbos!

Shomer ****ing shabbos.