Quantcast

Why even go?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I swear, school really pisses me off sometimes to the point where I cant even believe I pay money for it.

I have a class to go to in like 30 minutes. The instructor puts all the lectures online. In class, all he does is read the lechtures off the powerpoint. He doesnt take roll. He gives out a study guide before tests. WTF am I learning from this? Why would I even waste my time going If the class is available online? Why do these professors even get paid? :mumble:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlySurly said:
I swear, school really pisses me off sometimes to the point where I cant even believe I pay money for it.

I have a class to go to in like 30 minutes. The instructor puts all the lectures online. In class, all he does is read the lechtures off the powerpoint. He doesnt take roll. He gives out a study guide before tests. WTF am I learning from this? Why would I even waste my time going If the class is available online? Why do these professors even get paid? :mumble:

you are learning to jump through hoops. if he does not take attendance then i sure as hell could not convince myself to go.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never went to class when I was in school. I can actually learn better studying by myself than listening to lecture.

You learn what you want from college. If you just want to get a grade and a diploma just do what you have to do for the grades. If you actually want to learn something study and do it. You will still get the same diploma but it will make the world of difference down the road if you are actually studying for a specific career.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
**** it. I aint going. You know what else? The bastard said "You gotta bay the book, actually its 2 boks" which set me back about $100. Guess how much we've even opened them?

NONE.

Its a scam, i swear.

J

JRB

You could just dig ditches or mow grass. No school required for that.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Most of my college professors never took roll call or cared if you went to class. As long as you took the tests and handed in your papers, that's all that mattered. Of course there are exceptions, like one professor I had who bumped up your FINAL course grade 1/3 of a letter for perfect attendace.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
Did you miss the point of this entire freaking post or what? Oughtta call you shortbus...I would if that wasnt already someone else's name here.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It's true, undergraduate education is often a total rip-off taught by tenured resaerchers who don't give a damn about the quality of the education they are delivering. It gets a little better in years 3 and 4.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I really feel bad when I dont go, but seriously, there is NO point. The people in my classes are so stupid and fail the easiest tests. **** it is east TN after all. Nevermind.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
warning: what you are about to read is a random politcal rant;

loco-gringo said:

Funny thing is... those guys are making more money now than people in the tech / IT sector.

FRIGGIN OUTSOURCING :mumble:

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
Did you miss the point of this entire freaking post or what? Oughtta call you shortbus...I would if that wasnt already someone else's name here.

I gave you a solution to your mindless banter. It's your choice to go or not. I will say that I have learned, you get what you put in. If you don't go and he changes teaching tactics, you will be screwed. Your choice, but if you pay for school and don't go to class; you are the dumb ass, not me.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
caboverpete said:
well you are at ETSU... not exactly the pinnacle of higher education.
I know, but they're still doctors fer chrissakes. And its still a state uni. fack.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This is the reason you are better off at a community college the first two years. The classes are often much better, and cheaper too.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
I really feel bad when I dont go, but seriously, there is NO point. The people in my classes are so stupid and fail the easiest tests. **** it is east TN after all. Nevermind.

I see now. The point of your thread is to show you are smarter than the professor and the rest of the populace at your school. I hope you plan to post a scan of your 4.0 grade report at the end of each semester smart guy. :D

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
This is the reason you are better off at a community college the first two years. The classes are often much better, and cheaper too.

:stupid:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
haha... I remember writing a paper on this in grad school.

This is higher learning, its not their job to teach you, its your responsibility to learn. You are paying for it, so do what you must to get the most out of it. If that means skipping class, reading the text and acing the exams, then so be it.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
loco-gringo said:
I see now. The point of your thread is to show you are smarter than the professor and the rest of the populace at your school. I hope you plan to post a scan of your 4.0 grade report at the end of each semester smart guy. :D
Actually he has a perfectly valid point - go ruin another thread.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
haha... I remember writing a paper on this in grad school.

This is higher learning, its not their job to teach you, its your responsibility to learn. You are paying for it, so do what you must to get the most out of it. If that means skipping class, reading the text and acing the exams, then so be it.
What are the "professors" getting paid for? I must have missed that part. Or is it the foreign TA's job to teach you these days?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
I gave you a solution to your mindless banter. It's your choice to go or not. I will say that I have learned, you get what you put in. If you don't go and he changes teaching tactics, you will be screwed. Your choice, but if you pay for school and don't go to class; you are the dumb ass, not me.
Well, first off, there is a detailed syllabus, so there will be no "change of tactics" 2nd, you can say all day that "you get what you put in" but putting into an education has nothing to do with having some dude read a powerpoint to you that you can read yourself. Its about time spent preparing for tests. 3rd, you can call me a dumbass if you like...I could care less, but you constantly play the victim on this site alone. i hate to imagine what real life is like for you. MILTON.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ridemonkey said:
Meh, Im a sophomore already. May as well just stick it out.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I see where he's coming from. People in that part of the country ain't too bright when it cums to book learnin.

My first year at App. State, my history professor had to take 15 minutes of the first class to explain that Alaska was not off the coast of Baja California like it shows on some maps. No Sh!t. He said 15% of the class missed that on a quiz.

Some classes make you feel dumberer. :nuts:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
BurlySurly said:
2nd, you can say all day that "you get what you put in" but putting into an education has nothing to do with having some dude read a powerpoint to you that you can read yourself. Its about time spent preparing for tests.
Well if that is all you do, then that is all you get out of it. Do you ever have a question regarding the text, lecture or PP presentation, or care to even think of one?

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
Well, first off, there is a detailed syllabus, so there will be no "change of tactics" 2nd, you can say all day that "you get what you put in" but putting into an education has nothing to do with having some dude read a powerpoint to you that you can read yourself. Its about time spent preparing for tests. 3rd, you can call me a dumbass if you like...I could care less, but you constantly play the victim on this site alone. i hate to imagine what real life is like for you. MILTON.

It's not so bad for me. I just don't see your point of how you are being robbed by your professor. I would suggest since you are in a grown up learning environment, you go and simply state your case to the professor. If he deems it unnecessary for you to attend class, don't go. I took an online English Comp class that didn't turn out spectacular (don't read as failing, but screwed with my GPA a little) since there was misrepresentation from the professor. Just like posting on RM, many things are taking out of context if they are not witnessed first hand.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
the books are most deffinetly scams.
I had a history professor at Ole Miss that assigned us 5 books for required supplemental reading & guess what? all five books were written by his colleaugues & one by his assistant even. deffinetly a racket.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Well if that is all you do, then that is all you get out of it. Do you ever have a question regarding the text, lecture or PP presentation, or care to even think of one?
Well its just a basic history requirement, which I already have a pretty good understanding of , but yes, questions on occasion do come up, but that's only for personal knowledge, not for any practical test-passing kind of thing. The thing is that its made so basic, any real questions are almost off the subject and take time from the guys' precious power point reading time. Its just not very conducive to learning.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
It's not so bad for me. I just don't see your point of how you are being robbed by your professor. I would suggest since you are in a grown up learning environment, you go and simply state your case to the professor.
Im being robbed because of apathy toward the subject. I could go and say, "Sir, I wanna learn more" and I'll likely get "Take an advanced course" which isnt altogether a bad idea, and Im not asking for more work, Im just wondering the point of attending when it does nothing for me.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
BurlySurly said:
Well its just a basic history requirement, which I already have a pretty good understanding of , but yes, questions on occasion do come up, but that's only for personal knowledge, not for any practical test-passing kind of thing. The thing is that its made so basic, any real questions are almost off the subject and take time from the guys' precious power point reading time. Its just not very conducive to learning.

Hmmm... so you are equally content to just take/pass tests. Sounds like you are just as guilty of being complacent. Again, you get out of it, what you put in.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
BurlySurly said:
Im being robbed because of apathy toward the subject. I could go and say, "Sir, I wanna learn more" and I'll likely get "Take an advanced course" which isnt altogether a bad idea, and Im not asking for more work, Im just wondering the point of attending when it does nothing for me.
Talking to them is no good. They only care about research and they do the minimum to get the pesky classes out of the way so they can get back to what is really important. Lower division classes are a scam (most of them).

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Hmmm... so you are equally content to just take/pass tests. Sounds like you are just as guilty of being complacent. Again, you get out of it, what you put in.
Sure, but the title was "Why even go?" and that's the main point, not that Im robbed necessarily. I guess I just expect more of a higher learning institution, not that I want extra work to do or anything.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ridemonkey said:
Talking to them is no good. They only care about research and they do the minimum to get the pesky classes out of the way so they can get back to what is really important. Lower division classes are a scam (most of them).
I agree for sure.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
So what exactly is the point of sitting in an auditorium watching a guy read a Power Point presentation? Why is it community colleges often have quality educators at less than half the price? The answer is that Universities hire people for their research, not their teaching abilities or even their desire to teach. The undergraduate experience leaves a lot to be desired...

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
Well I didnt know before I took the class, what the class was going to be like, did I? :p

True - I couldn't have taken the class in lecture I took online. The professor was a real dumb bitch, so it can be just as bad. Just don't get in a slump from not going to class. I really am trying to convey my problems with just skipping a class or two my first go round with college. It's hard for me to not be a smart ass to do so. In the long run, it's your education. For that matter it's even your lame ass whiney thread. :D

BurlySurly said:
**** it. I aint going. You know what else? The bastard said "You gotta bay the book, actually its 2 boks" which set me back about $100. Guess how much we've even opened them?

NONE.

Its a scam, i swear.
did the prof write the book? that happened to me alot at ETSU... profs requiring you to buy books they wrote and rarely touched them.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
biggins said:
you are learning to jump through hoops. if he does not take attendance then i sure as hell could not convince myself to go.
Hell yeah, all lectures online, no roll call...
Sounds like the perfect class, go to class for quizes and test only...
I had a few of those, good times, good times.