Quantcast

:>) Why, just why? (<:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
nope. PA has very few knife laws, and most just correspond to federal law - like the ban on switchblades
The term "switchblade" is fraught with inconsistencies, as is the federal law banning them (but you are correct, automatic knives are not legal in PA). Plenty of states allow automatic knives, of which switchblades are a subset. The US used to be a pioneer of automatic knives prior to the ban, though we still retain some manufacturers in knife friendly states like Oregon.

The federal ban was the product of "law and order" politicians spouting unsubstantiated claims about street gangs murdering innocent suburban children, with switchblades being their weapon of choice. Their thinly veiled code resulted in the federal law that's been questionably applied ever since.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nice! What scales? I have one in AEB-L dressed green micarta scales.

I hiked around the Wolf den hill on Sunday, would like to ride those trails. We should make it happen.
I have my second 6g shot tomorrow. I might be down for the count on saturday, and that makes fucking around on Sunday more difficult, but I will chat with the waifu. My last ride out there was very long (like 4 hr) but I spent a ton of time trying to figure out which trail to take. I now A) know the way and B) have it programmed into my gps. The trails are very fun, and have been well-honed to accommodate bikers. There is less of that classic MA "HERE'S A ROCK, LET"S RIDE OVER IT" and more of just trails in the woods, with really good variety.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The term "switchblade" is fraught with inconsistencies, as is the federal law banning them (but you are correct, automatic knives are not legal in PA). Plenty of states allow automatic knives, of which switchblades are a subset. The US used to be a pioneer of automatic knives prior to the ban, though we still retain some manufacturers in knife friendly states like Oregon.

The federal ban was the product of "law and order" politicians spouting unsubstantiated claims about street gangs murdering innocent suburban children, with switchblades being their weapon of choice. Their thinly veiled code resulted in the federal law that's been questionably applied ever since.
yea. go figure. doesn't apply to me.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hmm, now to try and fix the FIL's tractor without pulling the motor. The yoke on one side of the engine -> hydraulic pump double cardan joint sheared off, is frozen to the output shaft, and there's not a whole lot of room in there to work.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I
That has felony written all over it if they find this knife on you in the Boston proper. :crazy:

Also, most metro millenials panic when they see a pocket knife. I got shit for peeling an orange with a mini 1.5" folding Boker in the office.

View attachment 159919
Was it because you didn't cut it in to segments and eat it like a civil human?

EDIT- I just woke from a dream where I was laying down at work and the office woman was whinging about all the paperwork I haven't handed in, she said she'll be looking for a new mechanic and I told her to "Go for it." then shrugged and rolled over.
Even in my dreams I hate my job.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I installed new cleats in my shoes this weekend. Time apparently has introduced a new 10° release cleat (as opposed to a 13° or 17° cleat). Essentially, the 10° release is like a pre-worn cleat. FFS. To top it off, it turns out the new cleats I had somehow were mismatched: one 10° one 13°/17°, which feels really wonky. And with Time having been bought by SRAM, their inventory is still in flux, so distributors can't get the 13/17 in (or so they tell the shops around here). I've resorted to buying from zee Germans again. Fingers crossed this time it gets delivered by the postal service again and I don't pay am not extorted the handling fees....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That has felony written all over it if they find this knife on you in the Boston proper. :crazy:

Also, most metro millenials panic when they see a pocket knife. I got shit for peeling an orange with a mini 1.5" folding Boker in the office.

View attachment 159919

CEO and CFO fired today and replace by two Germans. My German will finally come in handy again. Hoping for mandatory schweinshaxe in the caffererie

EDCmonkey.com

Youre not a real dork unless you’re carrying a knife and a light. Benchmade Osborne 477 and an Olight Warrior, highly recommend both for your basic blinding and stabbing needsView attachment 159930
A friend taught me a lesson about lights. We were galloping around the woods in Medway or some such, he had no light, I had a light. He was doing much better with his night vision than I was with the light. Since then I seldom use a light when outside at night on foot.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
EDCmonkey.com

Youre not a real dork unless you’re carrying a knife and a light. Benchmade Osborne 477 and an Olight Warrior, highly recommend both for your basic blinding and stabbing needsView attachment 159930
I carry a Pelican 2380r but am looking at a couple Streamlight products which I can clip on my hat bill, similar to your olight. Is that the mini warrior? Do you use the magnetic charging cable with it?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have a 15+ yr old Leatherman and a $5 led flashlight floating around in the bottom of my backpack. Does that count? The Leatherman’s blade has been sharpened so much it’s probably 5mm shorter than when it was new.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I carry a Pelican 2380r but am looking at a couple Streamlight products which I can clip on my hat bill, similar to your olight. Is that the mini warrior? Do you use the magnetic charging cable with it?
Yeah, mini Warrior with the magnetic charger. Have a bunch of their rechargeable lights between this, the little O Bulbs and a few of their weapon lights so I've got charger cables all over the place. I like the magnetic charger cable a lot vs. a USB. Less chance of getting crap stuck in the charging port, less chance of ripping off a rubber cover and ruining the water resistance.

Haven't been super impressed with the Pelican lights I've had, but they seem to have stepped up their game recently, just not on my radar anymore due to past experience.

Streamlight is my old go-to, but they didn't have anything in the same size as the Warrior with similar light output.
They're probably more reliable than O Light, but I'm a big dumb idiot and buy new EDC lights all the time as battery and LED technology improves. The Wedge which looks pretty sweet depending on what you're looking for in a light, I'll probably pick one of those up soonish. Still have a couple Strions, and some of their WMLs, just not my carry light anymore.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
CRKT somethingorother here, very nice, simple, sharp & strong.
I have an Olight on a gun, but I find their mini flashlights underwhelming. Just not bright enough.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
in non-knife-and-flashlight news, rode today while the little feller rode with his group. went slowly. was still somewhat achy. was also on the hardtail. glad i got it for the older kid to tool around on and the younger guy to grow into but damn i do not like hardtails, even overforked with a 170mm 36 up front. 2/10. no more banging (around).

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Check out the Benchmade Bugout too. I prefer Benchmade to Spyderco, both in design, as well as their after purchase support.
Too spendy for what I would do to it. Love Benchmade and would love to own a quality blade like their's one day. My main knife is a Gerber auto assist with a half serrated blade. I got it on sale for $16 and have already had it warrenteed once. Normally I treat all of my tools with the utmost care and professionalism, but not the Gerber. I'll use it to check mortar in between bricks...

The Spyderco is just enough for opening food packages and such on the trail. Plus it's 2 oz lighter than the Gerber. However, it's not an essential upgrade and I still have a few pieces of gear to acquire. Would be nice though.