Quantcast

Why support my LBS?

ciscofreak73

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Bremerton, WA
when they are too incompetent to order in 4 headset spacers like they tell you they will. "They'll be here Friday morning, just come in." So I go in today at noon and the order hadn’t arrived yet. "Call back at 1 o clock and it should be here." So I call back at 1:30 and they say they will call me whether or not the spacers are in the order as they just got it in. So 4:30 comes and no call (they close at 6:00) so I call them back and they apologized for forgetting about me. They started to look for the spacers and found that the guy that orders their components didn’t order them. This is not the first time this has happened.

Silverdale Cyclery blew it with me for the last time. I will no longer pay inflated prices for parts just to support our LBS. I know they are doing really well and I wish no ill will, but I won’t give them any more of my hard earned cash. I paid quite a bit per spacer when I could've spent a whole lot less online just to show support for our local shop. Now I had to cancel two rides this weekend and STILL have to wait to order the spacers Monday morning just so I can ride late next week. I always try to purchase all tubes, tools, have wheels built, etc at the shop. I have dropped a lot of cash there in the last 10 years but this is the last time I put up with them screwing up my orders.

Shoot, my order would've taken 2 days from Go-Ride but I started to feel bad about all my online ordering. Well I'm over that now. And yes I know I am being a big baby

ciscofreak73

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Bremerton, WA
oh crap, that makes me feel even better, LOL...

It's pretty cool, the guys from Go-Ride are going to USPS express mail some to me tomorrow. He said he needed to go by the post office tomorrow and he would take my package with him and drop it off. Normally I doubt they would do anything on a Saturday so I guess I lucked out.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Same story with my LBS. Never ordered fork oil... Does anyone know a moto shop near west seattle or north tacoma?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
wow, your lbs had to order head set spacers? is it by chance some guy selling bike parts out of the back of his car?

ciscofreak73

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Bremerton, WA
ioscope, I hear ya, our local shop is very busy but only caters to roadies and XC geeks (no offense). So when I asked for 1.5" 10mm spacers, I got " you want an inch and a half worth the spacers?" This is a Cannondale shop just so you know. You would think...nevermind...

I have lots of fork oil if you want to come over to Bremerton:)

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
Find a friend, borrow his headset spacers, put them above your stem, tighten your headset and stem, then remove the spacers and give them back to your buddy. Ride!

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
ciscofreak73 said:
Nope no headset spacers dirtjump, they had to order them. You would think that a Cannondale dealer would have some 1.5" headtube spacers.
yeah, doesnt make much sense to me

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
i work at a shop and still tell people to get their parts online, then bring them in to get put on.

why wait like 4 weeks for some guy to evuntually order a part for you, when u can get the same thing for half the price in more than half the time

- and still pay the exact same amount to have it installed.

Knobularlife

Monkey
Mar 26, 2002
Lakeweird,WA
ciscofreak73 said:
when they are too incompetent to order in 4 headset spacers like they tell you they will. "They'll be here Friday morning, just come in." So I go in today at noon and the order hadn’t arrived yet. "Call back at 1 o clock and it should be here." So I call back at 1:30 and they say they will call me whether or not the spacers are in the order as they just got it in. So 4:30 comes and no call (they close at 6:00) so I call them back and they apologized for forgetting about me. They started to look for the spacers and found that the guy that orders their components didn’t order them. This is not the first time this has happened.

Silverdale Cyclery blew it with me for the last time. I will no longer pay inflated prices for parts just to support our LBS. I know they are doing really well and I wish no ill will, but I won’t give them any more of my hard earned cash. I paid quite a bit per spacer when I could've spent a whole lot less online just to show support for our local shop. Now I had to cancel two rides this weekend and STILL have to wait to order the spacers Monday morning just so I can ride late next week. I always try to purchase all tubes, tools, have wheels built, etc at the shop. I have dropped a lot of cash there in the last 10 years but this is the last time I put up with them screwing up my orders.

Shoot, my order would've taken 2 days from Go-Ride but I started to feel bad about all my online ordering. Well I'm over that now. And yes I know I am being a big baby
darn.

huckerAJ

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
There is a cool bike shop that will ship you stuff like that from Renton. It is us ghy bikes A.K.A. www.gohuckyourself.com That sucks man. We are really close to the warehouses down here and wi;l send you stuff anytime. Whatever you need for a good price. PEACE

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
Sadly there are really no other shops in Kitsap County that deal in high end parts. While Kitsap Key and Bike is a good shop. They are more low end and BMX. I know what a pain it is to go To BI Cyclery or up to Kingston. But i am sure if you have called the guys at Old Town in Gig Harbor. 75% chance says they would have been able to hook you up.

ciscofreak73

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Bremerton, WA
Thanks AJ, I will bookmark your site. I am ALWAYS breaking something so I am constantly ordering stuff.

Also thanks for the tip on BI Cyclery and Old Town.....

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ioscope said:
Same story with my LBS. Never ordered fork oil... Does anyone know a moto shop near west seattle or north tacoma?
RMC in Renton

Grab a yellow pages......

Motorcycle Works of Renton

Check out Tacoma or Fife and Motorcycle in the appropriate phone book.

Fork oil is relatively cheap at a motoshop. I seem to have Golden Spectro but most shops should have an appropriate fork oil for you.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Sorry to hear about your issues with your LBS. That sucks. Forget about the Cannondale thing though, C-Dales dont use 1.5" headset spacers on almost any of their bikes. Their headtubes are all the same length (any size frame) and are designed to work with headshoks and leftys that use the same length 'steerer' tubes. So just because they sell C-Dale doesn't mean they'll have the 1.5" spacers.

They should anyway, IMO.

BTW, nice bike. Hope you're able to get out and ride soon.

ciscofreak73

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Bremerton, WA
Thanks Peter, actually Go-Ride sent them out last Saturday via express mail and I received them Monday. Scott (go-ride) said he already had to go to the post office otherwise I would be out of luck till Monday;) This was still a very cool thing to do. They’ve always came through for me.

I installed the spacers Tuesday and rode the Breakout for the first time. My first impression was not very good. The fork felt like it had quite a bit of flex. My S6 being DC and having 35mm stantions set the bar pretty high so I was a bit disappointed with my choice of going with a SC fork. It turned out that the AC distance is more than 20mm longer than my S6. This slacker head angle is what I was feeling, not flex. The fork is actually very stiff.

After adjusting the headset, I headed to the trailhead. I started to get used to the fork right away. The TCP dampening is really smooth and has a major range of adjustment. The spring is a bit too soft for my weight so I was careful not to “g-out” too many times.

Knowing that forks sometimes come from the factory with lower oil levels than specced, I checked and found there to be less than half the recommended oil in the fork. I changed out the oil with Golden Spectro 7.5wt and the fork feels a bit more progressive.

Once I get the proper spring for the fork I can give a better review. Oh yea, don’t even ask about the headset incident!!

~Jake

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I feel ya, our bike shop pulls the same dumb **** so everyone has pretty much gave up on them. LBS's act like the internet is putting them out of business and that is B.S. They are putting themselves out of buisness cuz now when they try to pull that I'll order it I swear bull **** and drop the ball we have options now. I know plenty of bike shops bike source and go ride can't touch and that is cuz they are reliable not a bunch of dicks who think they are awesome cuz they work in a bike shop and everyone thinks they are cool but in reality they are 35 year tools that make minimum wage and live in garages. Wrenching a bike is by know means a magical process any jack off can do it. LBS wrenching is just hyped up fast food jobs. Heres the Reality of it, yeah everyone might think you are some kinda loser if you are 35 and work at Mc D's but FAT people think your the ****!!!! Now replace Mc d's with "as a mechaninc" and Fat with Bike. The logic is perfect the grammer is a little off but you get the point. They do the same dumb **** everyday over and over iether your suspension creeks, your gears skip, your breaks need a pad, a cable is broke or something is obvioulsy completly broken off. Yeah I can make my own food but sometime it is just easier to pay someone to do it. That in know way makes fast food a desire able job for me or feel like I owe taco bell if they forget to put the g$d@mn hot sauce in the bag every F'n Time I'll just eat somewhere else where there employee's can do there job right.

Real life scenario
Bike Guy noon thrusday : "Hey may are my bike levers in yet"
Wrench guy : "no Not yet I will call you when they get here definatly comming in today your number is 555-5555 right?"

Bike guy : " Yeah thats it, oh yeah by the way make sure you call me I have a race I have to leave early friday morning and I have to put them on tonight thanks for the help

*Thursday night*
Bike guy to friend : "Dude He never called I am f'd this weekend"
Other dude : "Don't worry I am sure brown dropped the ball"

*Monday* morning

Bike guy " Dude What the F my brake levers that I special ordered and payed are haning on the Fing wall on sales floor!?!?!"

Wrench guy : "Oh yeah they came in thursday at 1:00 I put them there"

Bike Guy to Bike guy Friend : "Pshhh F them I am ordering them direct or off go ride next time."

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
BIGHIT756 said:
thats ****ing great, i work at a bike shop, now im considered a tool, working fast food?
Don't let that tool get ya down. Bike mech, Auto mech, plumber, electrician, programmer, line cook, it's all the same bag. Sure, anyone can take the time to learn any of the trades ... but when it comes down to brass tacks, people just can't be bothered. It's a service industry economy we live in. Hats off to those that still know how to keep the machine running I say. You don't like the prices ... do it yourself then. Oh wait ... you can't, your to busy meeting deadlines, raising your 2.5 kids, manicuring your lawn, whatever. If a shop has bad service, they should pay the reaper. But in no way should providing a legitimate service be looked down upon. Especially in a field of recreation, that's just BS.

/end whisky fueled rant! :p

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I am not saying I don't appreciate mechanics doing things I don't have time to do thats not it at all. I am just saying that now thanks to "information" age and general lack of expensive tools it takes to work on bikes. It's not like you need a hydrolic lift in your floor to get under you bike and change out your suspension or if you mess up the cable routing you bike isn't gonna catch on fire iether it is basic stuff anyone can do it with a couple wrenches. Now that the parts are readily available on the internet we are no longer tied to some A-hole with a bad attitude that we know is screwing us. So enough of the LBS arguements. If your bike shop is provide a valuable worthwhile product and expierence they will be fine. If they are a bunch of jerkoffs making you feel dumb cuz some dude hasn't yet figured out how to change your rear derailure or make your wife feel like **** win she comes in cuz she never figured out the intrakcies of adjusting breaks or pulls some mitus BS and say **** like "well you are just gonna have to understand sweet heart that when you have rear suspension you can't use all your gear."(no crap I heard him say that about a 2003 cannondale jeckyl and a 2000 I drive)It is no longer convient we will stop comming around start doing the work ourselves cuz we know they are full of it. Then one day when their no qualification ass is at BK takin my order will spout out some **** like "F'n Go ride put the shop out of buisness and you let it happen!" at me. Then every uninformed Idiot in the world will jump on the band waggon and say yeah F freetrade and competive commerce you should kept dealling with their hoarse Sh@t even though there competition made there product a more valuable sevice to you.

What the HELL It is now easier and more comfortable to pay 2 large and wait 2 weeks for a random picture from a complete stranger you have never met in another country that is for all you know is some 17 year old scamin your butt for all of his senior year beer money. Versus Walking into legitament business and touching it with your hands and going yes I want to walk out with this today here is my money.

The best part is We stick up for the people that make it this insane!!!!!

and to this hippy wang

"You don't like the prices ... do it yourself then. Oh wait ... you can't, your to busy meeting deadlines, raising your 2.5 kids, manicuring your lawn, whatever."

You can't buy a 3,200 dollar DH bike for your 2.5 kids to race on with pituly and beads so yes I am gonna keep workin my ass off cuz they want more than anything to be like the dude in the magazine and work there ass off all day practicing to be the next Cedric Gracia. So where would the good shops be if we're all ridding yard sale bikes for 25 bucks cuz we are all broke from laying on our backs and watching clouds for 8 hours a day. Instead of being engineers, Teachers and other jobs of value that give back to society? News Flash the "Machine" was built by Hard workers slack @ss.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
:thumb: i agree slider! as a pipefitter, apprenticeship instructor, and the guy who runs a tractor on the side, 2 kids, a house, wife, i have no time. i have a canfield bros. downhill rig, kona stinky, and a single speed, and i wouldn't let anyone touch them. wrenching on a bicycle is soo easy! anyone w/the intelligence of a monkey and a set of tools from sears w/metric sizes can do it. people don't work on their bikes because they are lazy. i will support my lbs buying parts, but i would never trust one of those retards to put those parts on my precious steed. three people i have trusted to touch my canfield: chris canfield,my buddy thor,and me..... thatsit! you people need to take the time to maintain your own bikes. buy a hundred and fifty dollar bike stand. that stand has saved me HUNDREDS of dollars. i learned everything about my canfields complicated suspension over the phone talking to chris. i could break that bike down and rebuild it in the dark like a soldier and his rifle. after a weekend at whistler, it takes about 40 min. of routine maint. to make her good as new. work on your own bike and feel rewarded that you did it yourself and saved yourself a buttload of money. i have no time but i always keep those steeds in perfect running order,couple hours a month is all it takes.

ciscofreak73

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Bremerton, WA
Always nice to see the local e-thug make an appearance. I'm glad you posted; you just proved my point to the tee. It's dip****s like you that lose business for local shops. Way to go meathead...

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
ciscofreak73 said:
Always nice to see the local e-thug make an appearance. I'm glad you posted; you just proved my point to the tee. It's dip****s like you that lose business for local shops. Way to go ****tard...

E-thug thats cute LOL.....Dip****s like me do defer the business. It is the Dip****s in the shops that are chasing people off. I just point out the obvious because well that is what I do. Just for the record I am not an "E-thug" I'll tell you to eat ass in real life to if you deserve it if you don't I am one hell of a nice guy.

Karate Kid life philosphy

Miyagi: Now, ready?
Daniel Larusso: I guess so.
Miyagi: [sighs] Daniel-san, must talk. Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished [makes squish gesture] just like grape. Same here. You karate do "yes," or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," [makes squish gesture] just like grape. Understand?
Daniel Larusso: Yeah, I understand.
Miyagi: Now, ready?
Daniel Larusso: Yeah, I'm ready.