Quantcast

WINDROCK is OPEN!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
maddogdh said:
I'm a commin' down for this weekend with CBJ. I'm so excited. I haven't rode since closing day a Diablo, but i'll be just fine.

We'll say a prayer and proceed to kick you out of the start gate. :devil:

;)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the last out of towner to faceplant recently, left his white visor in the middle of one of the berms. right in the apex on dark dirt.
perfect placement.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bikenweed said:
So, is it pretty windy around these trails?

Someone had to ask.

Yes, Windrock is world renounced for its' wind. Great stuff too; some of the best wind in the south. :weee:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
we're on the southern face of the mt.
so it blows right over us.
but up on top, we have a big double jump the doesn't have any wind block. you can easily get blown three ft. or more sideways off course.
that'll get your attention for sure.

there has also been 18 or so large windmills installed at the top of the mt. by the tennessee valley authority to generate electricity.

the those two words describe this place to a T.

wind.
and rocks. oh boy do we have rocks.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
yeah...last weekend of the year last year we were all getting blown to flat ground beside the old landing on that top jump. It's the only exposed one on the mountain...but still a wild feeling every time you take off to land to the left of where you are aiming....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Salami said:
:think: Rocks? I don't remember any rocks. :looney:

I love rocks until I crash on them. :love:
there's been more than a few riders leave here, not remembering things.
were you here for the "you got knocked the f... out session" last fall ?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
biker3 said:
Dude, you are Windrock Super Fan 2006, you should make shirts and stuff. Seriously it would be awesome. With witty sayings like "Windrock doesn't take prisoners".

He is the creator so natually he's excited about his trails.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
spoke80 said:
he's excited about his trails.
I noticed, maybe its just me but all this Windrock destroyer of worlds nonsense is a bit over the top.

On a side note, I have been to windrock and the trails are top notch, the hours of labor are obvious.

Edit: spoke, that sig is funny ****, I laughed heartedly during that part of the movie. The hardly opening his mouth Sam Hill accent makes it even richer. I don't think many people have watched it through to catch that part.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
The hype is just that there are not many places that have the variety of DH riding and therefore it deserves to be recognized! I always give props to the groomers when I am there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
biker3 said:
I noticed, maybe its just me but all this Windrock destroyer of worlds nonsense is a bit over the top.

On a side note, I have been to windrock and the trails are top notch, the hours of labor are obvious.

Edit: spoke, that sig is funny ****, I laughed heartedly during that part of the movie. The hardly opening his mouth Sam Hill accent makes it even richer. I don't think many people have watched it through to catch that part.
yeah...Joey is the king of saying "another victim of the rock"...he love he trail dawg...

but in all seriousness. There isn't another place in the US that is like it...I mean...a paved shuttle to the top of an unmonitored mountain covered in boulders from top to bottom with EMS service, $15.00 access for all day and runs all over a mile long that are that steep. The more I think about how lucky we are to have the place, the more it makes me want to recognize it.

Since it isn't in a major metro area it doesn't get a lot of respect b/c all the Northeastern guys are so convinced that "their" spot is it. Plus since it's just "Joey building and people riding" and not some resort selling $4.00 pepsi's and 40.00 lift tickets and 90.00 hotels...it doesn't seem like it gets recognized as much as say Snowshoe when really it's on just as big a scale, if not bigger despite how huge of a DH spot it "should" be....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
.........when is DHBuilder going to make Decline.....?....

BikeMag did an excellent profile of 3 trail builders a few months ago, was really good......2 of the guys were illegal builders and the head guy from Whistler.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Cant Climb said:
.........when is DHBuilder going to make Decline.....?....

BikeMag did an excellent profile of 3 trail builders a few months ago, was really good......2 of the guys were illegal builders and the head guy from Whistler.....
when I write it.:confused: Spomer has already been asking me to do one...but heck...it's been closed all winter....plus my wife was going through a high risk pregnancy at the time and I couldn't be that far from home.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
biker3 said:
Dude, you are Windrock Super Fan 2006, you should make shirts and stuff. Seriously it would be awesome. With witty sayings like "Windrock doesn't take prisoners".
six years and $10-12,000 out of my pocket.
great relationships with the land owners and managers.
constantly defending the place from resentful a.t.v. and moto riders.
keeping out armed resentful locals from hunting while you're riding.
yeah, i guess i do have a lot to spew about.

good to hear from you too carlos.
i'm sure you saw some of the photos from when you were here last spring.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jdschall said:
But you could always send them to Petros...
we used to drive past the "farm" when we'd go ride the dirt road up and out of frozen head to the fire tower.
sure makes you glad you're a law abiding(most of the time)free citizen.
i'd hate to know that the only time i'd be semifree is when i got to pick up trash on the side of the road.