Quantcast

Windrock March 20th-21st

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Glad someone posted this up, because I was planning on being there that weekend anyway.

I think I'll be rounding up 4 or 5 folks from over near Asheville, so definitely bring your trailer if you have it.

--John

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Glad someone posted this up, because I was planning on being there that weekend anyway.

I think I'll be rounding up 4 or 5 folks from over near Asheville, so definitely bring your trailer if you have it.

--John
I'll have the trailer with me. It can accommodate 20 bikes so the more folks the better. There should be 5-6 of us from Georgia.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Im guna make it. I hope work doesnt get in the way so I can carpool with you guys. How many more from ATL are going?

Oh yeah, you and Mike shoulda made it over to East Atlanta last night. I had a frign blast.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I hope that winter breaks around here soon. It should by then for sure but the top of the windmill trails still have snow now with more expected this week.

Don't know if we will get the trails cleaned up by then but if not expect leaves and possibly lots of down fall. Our little crew has been busy building man style xc trails in the property and we haven't been in the dh trails since the Fall Fest.

We have plans to get over there soon and get started. I'll keep ya posted.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Im guna make it. I hope work doesnt get in the way so I can carpool with you guys. How many more from ATL are going?

Oh yeah, you and Mike shoulda made it over to East Atlanta last night. I had a frign blast.
I don't think I coulda made it. The supercross already wore me out, we were there since noon.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I hope that winter breaks around here soon. It should by then for sure but the top of the windmill trails still have snow now with more expected this week.

Don't know if we will get the trails cleaned up by then but if not expect leaves and possibly lots of down fall. Our little crew has been busy building man style xc trails in the property and we haven't been in the dh trails since the Fall Fest.

We have plans to get over there soon and get started. I'll keep ya posted.
Definitely.

Loo anybody said anything bout Easter weekend? Couple BR guys r in. Maybe ur boy scooter.

Me and Scuba are good 2 go for Easter but Scuderi is out . I would like to make it march and early april with u guys but i know 2 wait if the conditions are still slop.
Everyones getting aintsy to ride WR but those guys need help getting the trails ready.

To anyone planning on making it march please bring chainsaw cuz as ProFro stated there will be deadfall needing 2 be cleared. Thanks.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Windrock and machinery don't work. That thing would look awesome rolling down the hill towards the parking lot end over end. Only hand tools and strong backs need apply.

Panda

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Louisiana
Im in for a work/ride weekend. I've been antsy to ride there since the last time I left but Im not gonna waste a trip if conditions suck. Some of us have to make plans more than a day in advance for work/kids. I would rather plan to go for easter and not go b/c the mt is still frozen then not plan and miss a beautiful weekend.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Windrock and machinery don't work. That thing would look awesome rolling down the hill towards the parking lot end over end. Only hand tools and strong backs need apply.
Purely a joke. I finally saw one of these in use the other day and was in awe. Stump grinders rule.

Oh, and Jeremy, the key to making the turn at the bottom of Trail 1 was to ride across Cecil's bike, then pivot. Worked for me. Wrecking on that still ranks highest to near death experience for me on a bike.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Doug, if you got the chain saw I've got the strong back. Don't mind helping clear. Should I bring my blower?

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
i need to get our trail crew to take a off day and ride windrock...we got like 5 builders that have never been, if they all survive, that should be some good insperation for our crew to build some more knar! easter sdounds goood to me,,as long as we dont have,a dozer or something going on at ttc im in!!! (if the trails are dry)

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Doug, I sent you a PM about this as well but what are the trails looking like down there this weekend? I was there with a group back in mid january and with the exception of 1 spot on windmill and 1 spot on the lower trails, everything was dry. Weather looks outstanding this weekend and there are a few of us from Southern Ohio that might stop down. Would want to hear what your thoughts are first though. I am one of the main trail builders at our local freeride park and I know what a pain in the ass it is when someone rides a trail on ground that's too soft.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I don't see why the trails wouldn't be ok to ride this weekend after seeing the forecast - just expect leaves, small limbs and an occasional tree down. As for the upper Windmill trail, you might have to avoid it for now. Apparently Coal Creek has been doing some more "landscaping" up there this winter. :rolleyes:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
yes, but it melted below 3000 feet. So that covers our DH trails. I am heading up there in a few to start leaf blowing and taking assessment of the conditions. I'll report back.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I got Southern Rocks and Drop Out leaf blown and cleared of deadfall. The ground is in pretty good shape. Its a little muddy under the deep leaves and the exposed dirt is dry but puffy and soft from the freeze/thaw. We've ridden in much worse conditions. Id say this weekend is going to be just fine for riding. little slow rolling, but just fine. A couple other locals talked about leaf blowing the remaining lower DH trails Saturday morning. I'll probably be around on Sunday to ride and work. If any one has a leaf bloower and is willing to walk a trail it would be greatly appreciated.

Panda

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Louisiana
And us mountain folk are staring across the Great Smoky's waiting on Windrock to thaw too. I live 10 minutes from 3600' elevation pinnacles and they're pure frost down to 2600' or so:(.
Snowboard? Ski? It's just as cold here but everything is slop. I drive 2 hrs for 200' of elevation. I'm definatly jealous

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Snowboard? Ski? It's just as cold here but everything is slop. I drive 2 hrs for 200' of elevation. I'm definatly jealous
Lift tickets are way more expensive than the boatloads of free MTB trails within a 20-30 minute drive of my house though. Although, everyone keeps telling me what an EPIC year it has been for snowboarding, mine has only been used in the field behind the house this season....and by my kids as a way too fast sled.:thumb:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Awesome to hear Profro! Me and 2 or 3 other guys are coming down from Ohio tomorrow (Saturday). We'll be in a Black Chevy Avalanche, come on out if you want to ride and shuttle with us! We'll make sure to clean off any downed branches we find along the trails. Upper windmill is still closed right? We'll probably just be shuttling it from the G2 road anyhow.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Hey Milo me and 1 other may make that weekend. Any chance u can ride a little on either fri or sunday?
Sorry bro, were coming up late fri night and leavin late afternoon sat for the long drive home. Believe me I would stay at WR for as long as I could.....if i could. Married w/ children has its :) and :(.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Hey fellas, for those of you that wanted to get in on the trailer shuttling were going to be there Saturday the 20th. Pm me with any questions.
Jason from Sicklines has that date circled too. I'd love to come that day. Maybe talk some of these Asheville fellas into rolling over there. Take a dip in the hot springs on the way back out...real man stuff....:p