Quantcast

Windrock Update Thread

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Please post updates, ride info, and stoke in this thread.

Examples:

1. Update- today I built a new jump it is sweet, here are some pics.
2. Ride Info- We will be riding at Windrock this weekend I hope to
see you there.
3. Stoke- Boy howdy that was some good shredding!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
BKQuill said:
What is the other WR update "thread" for then? How many WR update threads do we need?
The other thread is wacked out with hijackers not updates. If you all don't want this then let me know and I'll nuke it.

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
I'll play along. I let some pent up frustrations get the best of me. My aplogies to Ben and the rest of you for letting it get out of hand.

How about a picture of happier, warmer times to help remind us what it's all about.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
abiding by the rules of the thread author.

update:
no work today as the place is as saturated as i've ever seen it with all the rain and snowmelt. (you walk around about 6-8in. taller than when you arrived.)
i plan on spending all day thurs., fri., sat., sun. getting stuff ready to ride.
next on the list is to rebuild the trail between freeride and humpty that was dozed.
then on to the top of the mt to build up the first road crossing in a way that we can ride down, but "they" can't ride up.

ride info:
(don't i wish i had something to report.)

stoke:
here's where mine differs a little from ya'll's.
not only do i get a huge stoke from riding.

i get stoke from:
when the coal co. comes in and installs two gates at the top of trail 14. keeping the motorized traffic out of our area.

when the a.t.v. clubs dozer operator wants to come in and help us build jumps.

when the a.t.v.club donates(twice) $$$ to our cause.

when the a.t.v. club pres. tells me that if we need anything, just let them know(and he means it)

when i can go and talk with the logging co. and the coal co. and keep them from a clearcutting project that would have come into the western edge of our area, that would have desroyed southernrocks and dropout before we would have ever laid a wheel on them.

when last december another chunk of land that borders us on the eastern edge, was given to us. increasing our area by about a third. ensuring that we have land enough to allow us to build more new trails for at least the next two years.

i could go on and on. but my point is. that as long as this is designated as an o.h.v. area, we'll always have a downhill home in east tennessee at windrock mt.

we have a very strong and healthy relationship with the other groups here. and it gets stronger all the time.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
maybe with your experience and help.....

we need something like that so darn bad around here.
insurance is our biggest obstacle.

are the bootleg races held under the norba umbrella ?
if not, how do they handle the ins. issue ?

the club and the coal co. have asked why no more events out here.
i'm pretty sure that the clubs ins. for their events won't cover us.

i'll bring the subject up at the next meeting.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbuilder said:
maybe with your experience and help.....

we need something like that so darn bad around here.
insurance is our biggest obstacle.

are the bootleg races held under the norba umbrella ?
if not, how do they handle the ins. issue ?

the club and the coal co. have asked why no more events out here.
i'm pretty sure that the clubs ins. for their events won't cover us.

i'll bring the subject up at the next meeting.
actually...I may have an option. Wes informed me last week that he uses the same insurance company as NORBA. To be honest though, I would prefer to make it NORBA sanctioned as well. It helps to have your race on their site. From the standpoint of having been an event promoter in the past, it is useful to be associated with NORBA if not just for access to additional resources and their databases.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
that's a good point butch.

i guess it's too easy to jump on the anti norba(usa cycling) bandwagon nowadays.
i have no douts that on a regional level they do a good job.

but those of us who have been members for many many years, have jaded view of what the higher-ups motives are.

you're correct about what they can bring to the local races.

now the next hurdle will be a race promoter.
that's way beyond my capabilities or desire.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Joey

I can go over the specifics with you on the Norba insurance verses independant. You really need around 100 people to make it cheaper to go with the indepentant due to the minimum charge. However, that doesn't take into account the $60 license that everyone needs (or $130 for those in the pro class). Macay (sp?) is who Norba uses.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Also, I'm glad you guys had a group hug on Tuesday afternoon. Trust me, after going through a similar DH/freerider meltdown in michigan a few years ago, it's not worth fighting over or trash talking each other's stuff.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
thanks chris.

the way it was with the last four races here. was that there wasn't more than 45-50 people who showed up.

and only a couple of pros to generate their payback.

that alone makes investing in a race here a little iffy.

i'd like to be able to advertise a certain figure to the pros so they would be guaranteed a decent payout regardless of entries. they've been shortchanged here before.

if the winner can leave with $500 or more and second, third and so on can go away happy. the following event would hopefully draw more folks.

i saw this happen with x-c racing in texas. and it worked great. within a couple of races after cash back payouts got respectable, the entries were phenominal.

i could win a ex.vet. race and walk away with good dough. the seniors were being paid 20 deep and even 20th was a very happy man.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
as my ability to ride fast here starts to deminish as i get older. i really want to focus on this aspect.

i've invested to much heart and soul here, not to have this place be on the map for years to come.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have a race promoter here who would be interested. If we do an event with NORBA, they require you have a "sponsoring club". What that means is that a club that is registered as a cycling club with USA Cycling has their name associated with it. It's just a formality and Knoxville has plenty of cycling clubs. The club isn't the promoter though so they can't dictate the event....that would be the promoters.

If you want to go outside NORBA, I have an event promoter here I am going to work with in the near future to put on a DH event with. They put on the Icycle and use McKay as well outside NORBA. That means you can make it an Open Format... 2 classes, Open and Amateur. That will generate the payout you need. But you don't use that money for your payout.
The way to generate funds for the event is to donate the proceeds to a charity. We should stipulate that $1000.00 minimum goes to trail maintenance funds for the rock. Then you have to pay the promoter...$700-$1000.00 to run the event. The other thing is the payout, another $1000.00 to pro class minimum.
NOTE: Professioanl timers will do the event timing for between $500-1000.00. George Willets has offered to come down and time events for us in the past. Also, Racers Edge can do it too for a fee.

You get Knoxville businesses and Oak Ridge hotels and Chamber of Commerce to sponsor the charity event. It's usually a good idea to involve a local Lion's Club or Rotary or whatever local goodwill agency that does fundraisers. The moneys provided by sponsors goes to pay for the event expenses and advertising and entry fees and vendor fees go to the charity. Events of this nature usually don't raise much money, but guaranteeing 100% of entry fees go to the charity makes a big difference to event sponsors.

Rant over...

Hey Butch- what about your idea to get some of the pro Dh'ers to go ride Windrock after the Sugar Nat'l? Maybe if we get their endorsment; which shouldn't be hard, the whole NORBA thing may just fall into place.

If there are any local SORBA junkets up there, try to get them interested. SORBA is IMBA afilliated and should be able to get NORBA endorsment with not too much trouble.

That may be a stretch though. I'm not really sure, just doing half drunk algebra.

From what I understand, access and housing (hotels, etc..) are the big problem. There is plenty of that in Oak Ridge. As far as I see, access (shuttlles) would be the biggest problem. We can't have the pros going up on the U-Haul from hell. At least the road is MUCH better now.

I could really see a WC DH happening there. It may even become the favorite course next to Ft. William. Maybe if Bigfoot got lenghtened to about :45 sec (for pro's) we do a DH/MX there....

Just thinking.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
profro said:
Why you're at it... think about winning me the lottery.
Doug, if you win the mega lotto $300+ million, will you by a jet-copter to shuttle us with? Also, you can pick me up at the airport in grand haven, MI in the G5 jet.

Seriously, why haven't any of those rednecks bought a school bus and a trailer and started a shuttle business at Windrock yet?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ChrisKring said:
Doug, if you win the mega lotto $300+ million, will you by a jet-copter to shuttle us with? Also, you can pick me up at the airport in grand haven, MI in the G5 jet.

Seriously, why haven't any of those rednecks bought a school bus and a trailer and started a shuttle business at Windrock yet?
that's always been my desire, to get an old passenger van and trailer to run shuttles with. my income just doesn't allow for that expense though.

all the guys here are over wearing out their personal trucks keeping us going.

(careful chris, i AM one of those rednecks)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oh by the way.

i spent all day working there today.

absolutely beautiful view of the smokies, very little haze.

also had a nice conversation with the man in charge of drilling the gas well. work on that will begin next week, and they'll be down in there for a month or so.

this shouldn't keep us from riding at all.

and a big thank you to matt and devin.
two local riders who came up this week and dropped off a ton of good treated lumber.
this will put us over the top as far as materials needed to finish a couple of remaining projects.

thanks guys.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the weekend of april 7-8-9 looks to be a happening weekend.

doug will be showing off his work at bigfoot saturday.

and up at windrock,
it's looking like there's going to be riders from michigan,colorado,new york, illinois,georgia, and i'm sure a few stragglers from the carolinas will make their way over. not to mention the small contingient from round these parts.

could be well over 50-60 riders.

anybody with a bike sporting more than minimal x-c travel, that's not in the knoxville area that weekend....well that's your problem.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i get the message.

we have about two more weekends of work to get everything finished.

and then it's just a matter of the weather.

it's been changing a bunch lately. a little drier than normal for this time of year. we were there this weekend, and by sunday p.m. it was more than dry enough to ride.

but just last weekend there was snow everywhere and it was a sloppy mess.

go figure.

i'll take a real good look around at the end of this weekend, then it could be time for the leafblower onslaught, and then.....

i'll definately keep everyone posted as often as needed from here on out.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Is opening weekend still bring your best fire arm weekend as well? I am looking foreward to some good ol' fashioned redneck shenanigans.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
thanks joey for all your hard work. if i can get off work i will be there opening day. mike when you gonna hit the place up cause we still need to ride together man. well keep us posted joey and again thanks a lot man.