Quantcast

Windrock Update Thread

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
frznnomad said:
thanks joey for all your hard work. if i can get off work i will be there opening day. mike when you gonna hit the place up cause we still need to ride together man. well keep us posted joey and again thanks a lot man.
hopefully I'll be there opening weekend. whenever that is...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
hey Joey...gave Bosch the heads up. He'll call me when they're headed down...wants to do a 3 day weekend with a day in Pisgah...dude loves riding. At Massanutten, I invited him to Windrock and all he wanted to know was about Pisgah so he can bring his trail bike.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
that's cool.

heck, whenever i get back in x-c shape that'll be about the only place i'll ride.
for what that place has to offer,
i'd rather drive the two hours to ride there.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay mike that sounds good. ohh and ill be comming into town the 15th so if you want to rip up pisgah with me and my boys just let me know man. ohhh and butch your welcome too man.

lol that didnt take that much to do stubby.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
profro said:
From the top, its around 2500 ft. From the DH trailhead its around 1800 ft.
Hey, thats even more than Berrecloths 1500ft "biggest line ever" on the discovery channel. I owned berrecloth. Awesome.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Jeremy R said:
Yep, me and Doug did all 2500 one day on a goat trail.:cool:
Got down about two hours later.:rofl:
Funny you say Goat Trail... Makes me think of Tyler going down the old Goat Trail in Greenville on his old Super8 at Mock Speed while blowing up his rear wheel. I wish I had that on video.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wow i had no idea that it was that much. damn, and dont you have to hike up to the very top of windrock or is there acctually a shuttle road going up there.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
frznnomad said:
wow i had no idea that it was that much. damn, and dont you have to hike up to the very top of windrock or is there acctually a shuttle road going up there.
you take the old rail car line. well, you did. until joey jumped in and cut the line and flew to the bottom. he proceeded to yell "hell yeah!" and did it again.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
frznnomad said:
dont you have to hike up to the very top of windrock or is there acctually a shuttle road going up there.
Nope, you can drive all the way.

The trail that Mark and Brian built last winter started almost all the way at the top. It was a good trail, but not really a full DH trail. There are some sections that kick butt, but some other sections kicked your butt i.e. some up hill sections and push-ups. I'd love to see some full on DH trails all the way from the top to the bottom eventually. However you do have to cross several more ATV trails, which can lead to poaching problems. But what we have now is pretty dang special, as is.

integrusllc

Chimp
Jul 13, 2005
hey everyone,

for all those coming from out of town on april 8th weekend to ride, we are setting up a shuttle service. we have the ability to carry fom 15 to 20 bikes and people per load and will run 9:00 am until around 5 or 6 depending on how many people are there. we will also run on sunday from noon till 5 or 6. the shuttle charge will be $10 on saturday and $7 on sunday. look forward to seeing everyone that weekend. let me know if anyone has any questions.

integrusllc

Chimp
Jul 13, 2005
sorry about that,
i know no one on here knows me, but joey and doug know who i am. i will have a tan gmc 4 door truck with a 12ft dump trailor. i made a frame so the bikes can hang on one side and a bench on the other side of the trailor for people to sit on. the trailor will hold 13 bikes and the rest we can stack wheels up in the bed of the truck. my name is devin and i will be riding but my wife is doing the shuttling. she may have lunches available for sale also, but not sure yet

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
integrusllc said:
hey everyone,

for all those coming from out of town on april 8th weekend to ride, we are setting up a shuttle service. we have the ability to carry fom 15 to 20 bikes and people per load and will run 9:00 am until around 5 or 6 depending on how many people are there. we will also run on sunday from noon till 5 or 6. the shuttle charge will be $10 on saturday and $7 on sunday. look forward to seeing everyone that weekend. let me know if anyone has any questions.
Well if our group jumped in you would have no space for yourselfs.(we have like 25 people at least) But I do know there will be a bunch of guys coming from chigago. They may be looking for a ride up. It will be nice to have more than one shuttle going. This way we wont be all bunched up on the Mt.- JM

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
John M said:
Well if our group jumped in you would have no space for yourselfs.(we have like 25 people at least) But I do know there will be a bunch of guys coming from chigago. They may be looking for a ride up. It will be nice to have more than one shuttle going. This way we wont be all bunched up on the Mt.- JM
i saw this shuttle set-up yesterday.
devin's got it goin on with the trailer. i'm sure going to appreciate him or any body (all year long ) that helps get riders to the top of the mt.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I was thinking of rigging my 20 foot flat bed trailer up like Devin's for shuttling as well. I will provide the trailer, if someone (I know and trust) can pull it. It will require a 3/4 ton truck at least. Its a pretty heavy trailer.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've also got a small 5x8 trailer that i was going to modify for hauling bikes. that way doug you, terry, ben or anybody that wanted to use it could keep the bikes out of your truck bed. it's lightweight and would hold all the bikes that a truck could haul riders.

we could keep it down at the three way split in our trail(4 way split now) down inside the gate.

i also talked to vicky at the snack shack. she said we could keep it in their lot if we needed to.

i long ago got my $$$'s worth out of it. so we could use and abuse it.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
me and my boy from asheville will prolly be there on sunday and he will have a truck with a hitch rack on it and can prolly fit about 8-10 people depending on how good our packing ability is. so all we will need is a little bit of cash and we are willing to run shuttles for you fellas, and joey we will be hitting up the rock all year so there will be shuttles comming from us so no worries there.

ohh and for the year pass where in the hell do we get them at. is it at the log cabin as you first roll up to the parking lot.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yes.

that shack has been removed and tonya has a nice heated metal building now. with a phone hook-up. so now you can pay by credit card.

you can also get them at the snack shack at the entrance to the parking lot on the left during the week.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
awsome thanks joey cause i have an odd feeling that im gonna need a year pass if im only 2 hrs away. well ill cya fellas on opening day take it easy.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
bizutch said:
Wait...opening day say what?
easy big guy.

we're almost done here. just a few minor projects and one bridge left to build.

i put in 33hrs in four days this past week. i may be too worn out to ride when we finally open up.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dhbuilder said:
easy big guy.

we're almost done here. just a few minor projects and one bridge left to build.

i put in 33hrs in four days this past week. i may be too worn out to ride when we finally open up.
Good, then you can drive the shuttle. :nuts:

Thanks for all the hard work. I can't wait to see it.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ChrisKring said:
Good, then you can drive the shuttle. :nuts:

Thanks for all the hard work. I can't wait to see it.
If that's the case Joey, then I'll make sure your head is in shuttle mode.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
If that's the case Joey, then I'll make sure your head is in shuttle mode.
i definately won't mind doing a lot of the driving while everyone's there that weekend.
i never fail to get all the runs i want throughout the course of the year.

sending everyone home worn out and happy is the main goal that weekend.

(i can also ride rather well in shuttle mode !!)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
i definately won't mind doing a lot of the driving while everyone's there that weekend.
i never fail to get all the runs i want throughout the course of the year.

sending everyone home worn out and happy is the main goal that weekend.

(i can also ride rather well in shuttle mode !!)

Shoo, I figure my little bike will last about 3 runs so I'll be holding down the fort watching the stoke.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
Shoo, I figure my little bike will last about 3 runs so I'll be holding down the fort watching the stoke.
i've said this before.

one of the best places on the mt. when there's lots of riders,
is the parking lot right before everyone comes down from a mass run.

it starts out rather quiet, then one by one riders arrive. and it gets louder and louder with addrenaline and stoke as they roll in.

"stoke" is such a good thing.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
i've said this before.

one of the best places on the mt. when there's lots of riders,
is the parking lot right before everyone comes down from a mass run.

it starts out rather quiet, then one by one riders arrive. and it gets louder and louder with addrenaline and stoke as they roll in.

"stoke" is such a good thing.
Totally agree, but I think the new 5-points intersection 1/2 way up will be a great place to hang out and catch up.