Quantcast

wine pics

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
port will definitely last longer, no doubt. how long, i'm not sure.

i do the fridge thing too...you probably don't have much room w/ 8 freakin' gallons of milk in there.

btw, my brother also got me soemthing when he was in switzerland....a red wine warmer.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
How long does port last before going tits up? I think it's longer than a bottle of wine.

Just FYI - I've heard the vac-u-vin thing is not as effective as simply storing in the fridge. We keep our open unused bottles in there and then pull it out a few hours before polishing it off.
I think he may be right. I had a bottle of port for a few months after it was opened & it never turned on us. Maybe because it is fortified with Brandy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TN said:
I think he may be right. I had a bottle of port for a few months after it was opened & it never turned on us. Maybe because it is fortified with Brandy.
I'd heard it will last a long time. I don't drink Port, so I don't know personally......

Where are the Port experts when you need them?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
from http://www.dairyland-ca.com/storing.htm

Freezing Milk
Although we do not recommend freezing milk products, for some it is a necessity

get a larger fridge or a smaller appetite for dairy. :oink:
It freezes a really weird yellow-ish color, but thaws right back out into a perfectly palatable product. :thumb:

We'll probably freeze more just to keep the freezer a bit more "full" since it's more efficient that way.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
It's a necessity. We keep 4 gallons in the fridge and keep the other 4 gallons in the freezer as emergency backup.

We love our milch..... :drool:
What the...? Are you worried about a shortage or something? Or just doing research on whether a person can actually drink a gallon in an hour without puking or whatever?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SS, how old are your kids again??? you know, there's this free stuff called water that comes out of yr kitchen faucet?

we probably go through a gallon every 2-3 days, and that's w/ my wife and i typically eating cereal in the morning too, and some pancake batches.

but milk in the freezer as an emergency backup? do you live in outer mongolia where there are no nearby convenience stores?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - you wouldn't *believe* how much 3 liddle boys drink. It's insane. :dead:
That's true. We buy a 1/2 gallon at a time and it usually goes bad before me and my girl finish it. But if you PM me your address I'll send you the remnants the day prior to expiration. :)

Seriously, how often do you break into the frozen stuff? Do other people do this?

Maybe you should look into getting a cow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
SS, how old are your kids again??? you know, there's this free stuff called water that comes out of yr kitchen faucet?
They're 4-1/2, 3-1/2, and 1. Don't even get me started on how much water and fruit juice we go through. :dead:

but milk in the freezer as an emergency backup? do you live in outer mongolia where there are no nearby convenience stores?
We've got the space in the freezer, and we're getting tired of going to Costco *twice* a week. :D

Edit: Hell, we go through over a pound of Grana Padano a month. :eek:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
<snip>
Seriously, how often do you break into the frozen stuff? Do other people do this?
We break into the frozen stuff when the other 4 gallons is almost gone.

Maybe you should look into getting a cow.
:o: We actually are working on getting in on a deal for a side a beef right now. So we actually *are* getting a cow, from a certain point of view. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
They're 4-1/2, 3-1/2, and 1. Don't even get me started on how much water and fruit juice we go through. :dead:

We've got the space in the freezer, and we're getting tired of going to Costco *twice* a week. :D

Edit: Hell, we go through over a pound of Grana Padano a month. :eek:
the american dairy association should nominate you for Family of the Year.

i hope low cholesterol runs in yr gene pool.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
the american dairy association should nominate you for Family of the Year.

i hope low cholesterol runs in yr gene pool.
We stick to an Italian-like diet. Lots of cheese, lots of butter, lots of cream, lots of wine, and lots of olive oil. :D

And low cholesterol does run in my side of family.

Only the baby drinks whole milk. But Jeezus does he mow through it.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
nice!

...& have to say milk is fuggin nasty. I will eat cheese, butter, cook with cream & milk, but drinking the stuff makes me want to blow chunks. :dead:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My parents used to force me to drink it when i was a kid & I hated it then. Prolly why I am lactose intolerant too. :think:

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Missed out on the conversation earlier in the thread....... But regarding screw caps, here's an interesting article that I read about it.
http://www.coffaro.com/read.html#screwcaps

There's also a really interesting soap box about making a $100 bottle of wine. It's the link below the screw cap stuff called 'The Money Bamboozle.' It's a fun read.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
We stick to an Italian-like diet. Lots of cheese, lots of butter, lots of cream, lots of wine, and lots of olive oil. :D
well, to be an authentic italian diet, it should also include a lot of fish and shellfish...the country's surrounded by water ya know.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
good for the money, but to really enjoy it, you must drink it with food. On its own it falls flat.

Just opened. Very nice. jammy, full of blackberry & currant with a touch of spice. I like it better than the oak cask.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
had a bottle of Italian bubbly this weekend.
it was really good. think raspberries & roses.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Oh stop, yah friggin' wine snob. ;)
I tried another Malbec this weekend that was even better. It had a nice hint of flat Dr. Pepper in the finish. :)