Quantcast

Wintergreen Report and a few pictures

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
This thread is meant to be informative and factual. No bias, no slander. If you must bring up the whole controversy, I'll kindly ask a mod to remove your post.

On Monday, July 4th, I made the trip to Wintergreen with Scott (Birdwang) and Matthew, whose bike handling skills make me sick. It took about an hour and a half total from Richmond to the top of the mountain. When you get there, you have to check in with the Out Of Bounds tent. There is a really nice building up there that one would think you should go into, but its not where you register. You register at the little tent by the bungee trampolines. It is $35 for a lift pass and shuttle pass for the day. For an extra fee (I don't know how much) you can rent a Kona Stinky. The shuttle is only good for loggers alley, which we did not get to ride on Monday. You can stay parked at the Out of Bounds Tent, or you can drive to the top of the lift and park there.

When we got there it had started raining. We met a few people up there, including coob0220 who is a really cool guy and doing a lot of good for us as riders at Wintergreen.

The trails are in GREAT condition. All of the old trails are still there, and are a few new additions and a lot of work being done mostly by coob. The trail map, as usual, sucks. It shows what trails are there, but it is not a good way to find where the trails begin. All of the trails are marked with numbers, and skill levels. Many of the trails intertwine, but are well marked of which way to go for your skill level.

We did not ride all of the trails on Monday, but we rode a good portion of them. They were all well groomed, no brush hanging in your face or anything like that. A lot of the trails dump you onto the ski slope, and one of the negative things I have to say is that there are still ditches dug through the bottom of the ski slope. Many of you may remember what happened to Scott on those ditches :dead: They have marked the ditches and built bridges over them, but you don't find that out until you get to the bottom.

All of the trails (except Loggers Alley) end very close to the lift. The lift is slow, like all lifts, and does not only cater to MTBers. There are a few tourists that ride them to see the pretty sights, or somthing like that. the lift will occasionally stop to accomodate them and let them on and off. Nothing thats really a big deal.

Now for a report on what a lot of you are interested in, Mecca. The stunt trail is still there, and most of the stunts are in good condition. There are some pretty sketchy lines there, and while we were up there, we were talking to coob about how to improve some of the stuff. Mecca is the only place we sessioned, and therefore is the only place I have pictures of, except the new road gap that we built while we were up there. All in all, I would rate Wintergreen very high. The day was very fun, and its not too far of a drive from Richmond. I am definantly going back.

Here are some pictures:

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Good, I wanted to see new pics other than Castle's old a** pics of that place.

Considering the distance there from Blacksburg, should be nice for a day trip.

With the way gas prices are going I'm tired of doing the 300 mile round trip to Snowshoe, as much as I love riding there.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Thanks for sharing your experience at Wintergreen. I had one of my best days of riding there last year, and hope to again this year. I love Snowshoe as well, but I can't afford all of the gas and the time it takes to get there.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
Some roadgap sequences from the weekend before last. Rider in the Fox moto gear is Murphy; dufus in the T-shirt is yours truly.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Birdwang ain't gonna see this post, because he's a little bitch and got of the :monkey: :)

No, Birds don't have penises, they have cloaca, and don't quiz me on geogrophy, because I suck and will probably have a really bad nickname if I lose a bet on it.

And ridetoofast..........:nuts::D

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
I dont know if anyone checks this thread out anymore, but Im heading to wintergreen this year to do most of my riding. Hopefully the lifts will be functional ( I see a lot of comments that there broken ) Anyways, if anyone is interested in riding with me hit me up.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The shuttling they did last summer was actually pretty good with the pick-ups.....Wintergreen needs to chill with the cost of the shuttling though....other than that, it wasn't bad at all.....it certainly should not be a deterrent.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
That road gap is sweet but not much room for breaking after you land. I guess thats what makes s good rider good. Are the two sides littered with jagged angry pipes that the employees mentioned? I never saw them as I was focusing on the landing.
The ditches are scary and even more terrifing is a bad landing in the tall grass. If you live near Wintergreen its worth paying the fee for a shuttle and trail use

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I went two or three times towards the end of the season last year when the lifts were up and running and had a blast. I hope to make it back this year a few times. The mountain's kind of short, only 800 or 900 feet) but I felt like there was enough variety to the trails that I never got bored. I also did the so called 'long dh' where they shuttle you back up from the golf club house. It's basically a fire road with lots of rocks. Not too technical but you can fly. Just make sure you have spare tubes, cause 8 miles is a long way to push a bike.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I went two or three times towards the end of the season last year when the lifts were up and running and had a blast. I hope to make it back this year a few times. The mountain's kind of short, only 800 or 900 feet) but I felt like there was enough variety to the trails that I never got bored. I also did the so called 'long dh' where they shuttle you back up from the golf club house. It's basically a fire road with lots of rocks. Not too technical but you can fly. Just make sure you have spare tubes, cause 8 miles is a long way to push a bike.

It is commonly referred to as "Loggers Alley". Well, OK, its ACTUALLY called, "Loggers Alley". :D

And yes, it WILL kill tubes if your not careful! BigMike, care to elaborate? :p

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
It is commonly referred to as "Loggers Alley". Well, OK, its ACTUALLY called, "Loggers Alley". :D

And yes, it WILL kill tubes if your not careful!
Yeah, the time I rode it, one of the guys had 3 flats which turned a 15 minute ride into 45 minutes. He was riding a fully but had xc tires. I was riding a hardtail with a dh tire on the back and had no flats. I'm either really smooth or tire choice makes a huge difference. Ha.

So Mike what's your story? Did you have a nice walk?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
sucks. so, when do they open for business?
Just checked their website:

Days of Operation:

Lift Serviced Mountain Biking
Saturdays starting mid-May, June, September and October
Saturdays and Sundays in July and August

Lift tickets+trail passes $35
same deal as last year I guess.

You could probably call them at 434-325-8505 for more info.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Haha, I just noticed this thread had been bumped!

Yakuza, you do know that this thread was started 2 years ago, right :) I forgot I even had that photobucket account :D

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
yeah I noticed the thread was started a few years back...but I also knew that if wintergreen was worth riding riders would speak up about it which Im very glad you all did. Ive been riding for a year here in the sherando area and basically have no one to shuttle with unless I beg the wife...I want to ride more so Ive been checking wintergreen out since its 20minutes or so away from the boro' . Id like to see more pictures but hell it will be up and running in a few weeks so Ill wait and see it for myself. From the pictures Ive seen so far it looks pretty cool.

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
I am the lift operator and rental bike mechanic at Out of Bounds (Wintergreen). I have inside info that the lift and all the downhill trails will be open Saturday the 26th and Sunday the 27th from 10am to 6pm. For the rest of May and June the lift will be running only on Saturdays.

I believe Snowshoe is also opening the Memorial weekend but it is rumored the western lift will not be running. Perhaps some of you who arn't locked in to spending all weekend at Snowshoe might consider downhilling at Wintergreen at least one day and doing a Sherando Lake Area Shuttle Monday. Bring your All Mtn. bikes.

:spam: Check out this bicycle friendly affordable lodging nearby: http://www.acorninn.com

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
More importantly than when they open, WHAT is going to be open? Are there any new trails? Have the old trails been taken care of? Are the freeride stunts reinforced?

Wintergreen used to be the deal, and if they are taking care of stuff, I'm TOTALLY down for riding there. If the trails are all shot to hell, and the stunts are sketchy and rotting, maybe not.

Also, how much is a day pass?

Thanks for the info, and thanks for coming to the board!