Quantcast

World Cup Finals - Maribor Slovenia

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Congrats to Sam as Overall World Cup Champ!!!

...I wuz riding with SkaTodd this morning at Diablo when he told me that Sammy won it...

So that's 3 WC's, 1 World Championship, and 1 Overall....

Way to go Sam and Iron Horse!

:biggrin: :rockout:
and the 2 big races he didnt win ie champery and vigo
were probably his best rides by killing it in the wet

sound like a pretty dominating year
:cheers:

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Yea. Watch out for those french guys in the future (Sam...).
Besides, Commencal makes sick bikes...
I wonder if Penemuende's (or whatever) quick rise has to do with the fact that he is riding BOS. Pascal has also had a better year than in the last few on Q/BOS. Its interesting anyway.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
I wonder if Penemuende's (or whatever) quick rise has to do with the fact that he is riding BOS. Pascal has also had a better year than in the last few on Q/BOS. Its interesting anyway.
i reckon you're on to somehting

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
maybe Rennie needs some of that BOS goodness,
25th RENNIE Nathan +9 secs

2003 world cup winner
2007 13th

WTF?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
maybe Rennie needs some of that BOS goodness,
25th RENNIE Nathan +9 secs

2003 world cup winner
2007 13th

WTF?
Yes, that´s strange. But Kovarik? I wonder if he´ll keep his Intense sponsorship after this horrible season...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well if garcia can keep his with his results then why not kovaric. He just need to be a bit more stylish ;)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
and steve smith... that guy looked so crazy fast through the woods .. als super stylish !
steve smith had an aweful split time, most likely from a crash. But he certainly wasn't slow down the 2nd half of the course.

Split to finish times:
Hill: 1:26.92
Atherton: 1:27.09
Smith: 1:28.5

That kid is rediculous, he just needs to learn to stay on his bike.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Kovarik, like Smith, would have better runs if he could stay on the bike

Kovarik split 1:29.5 , would've put him on pace for 5th or so.

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
I don't think there is any doubt that kovarik has the speed to win on his day but Rennie, i dont know he's only won one WC round (one more than i ever will) and that was in 03.
not wanting to pick on the guy but i am suprised he's not doing better

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
I don't think there is any doubt that kovarik has the speed to win on his day but Rennie, i dont know he's only won one WC round (one more than i ever will) and that was in 03.
not wanting to pick on the guy but i am suprised he's not doing better
Rennie is one of my favourite riders and his a super nice guy has time for anyone
I have always thought in my eyes that Rennie could possibly be the best rider in the world he shows so much potential, powerful and skillful and style for miles. When he is on it he is flying crowd pleaser great style and super fast. He has proved that he can be the best his world cup overall proved that his world champs as a junior when he won by quite a few seconds proved that..he has had some great results over the years. But likewise I am always surprised that he is not doing better.
I think some of it this year was bad luck the rain in Spain, crash at Ae forrest hurting his shoulder, crash in quali at champery, crash the week before the worlds dislocating shoulder, crash during race run over the bars during his at the Worlds etc..either way he CAN win any race he enters.

In no way am I knocking him I think he is great rider great guy an ambassador for our sport.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Matti Lehikoinen (7th Place)
"It would have been great to finish the season with another podium, but when the team radioed to the top of the mountain and told me that Peaty had a puncture, it seemed a bit risky to go for too much when I had 2nd place in the overall in my hand. So I hit all my lines and kept it smooth and I'm happy my time was faster than the semi and I got that chunk of crystal in my hand, finally! It's also kind of strange, today is my last day with the team, and for me, this is where it all began, Maribor 2001 when I met Martin. So I'm so happy to have had my greatest career success so far, here where it all began for me. Now it's time to celebrate!"

Brendan Fairclough (8th Place)
"That was a good run. The top half wasn't as fast as my semi final, but after puncturing during that earlier race, I thought it'd be better to be a touch on the conservative side in the first half, and give it 100% in the bottom half. To climb into the hotseat for the first time this season was a great feeling and I'm pretty happy to be standing with the best team in the world, it has been a great experience. The road bike comes out this winter, and these legs are getting faster!"

Team Director Martin Whiteley
"We had two objectives this weekend, and that was to maintain our lead in the team ranking and win the title, and also to help Matti move from 3rd overall to 2nd, so from that point of view, it was a very successful weekend. On reflection of course we would have loved to have had Greg Minnaar racing. He finished an impressive 6th overall with points from only 3 races, so he was unlucky not to be in the mix today. It has been a difficult season for Greg, but after his shoulder is operated on in the coming weeks, he'll be back and strong for 2008. Matti has had a stellar season, and has truly arrived as a world class racer. We really wish him well in his new race program. Brendan has shown promise all year but injury and bad luck have hampered his overall ranking, but this is his first time in the top 20 overall so we know there is a lot more to come next year. A big thanks to Honda Racing, and all of our great sponsors for helping us reach the number 1 spot, for the second year in a row. We are supported by an amazing group of companies."
http://world.honda.com/MTB/2007/u05slovenia/race/

So, two questions;

Who is Matti riding for in 08? EDIT Opps, I see this being discussed elsewhere.

With Team G Cross still running, does this mean there is hope for a production RN01?

Minaar 6th overall with only points from 3 races!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
guess i shouldnt be writing captions at 3am on monday morning after three days of hiking up and down a mountain from 8am onwards and then working till 1am every night and then driving 5 hours to munich to get home. my bad really ...
Ya, you suck, what the hell?

ps: I will send you that photo today. Just got into London at the ass crack of dawn after missing our ferry by 2 hours due to weather in the Netherlands and Germany. You in london today for the day?

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I think he will grow into the raw talent and be a top 5 world cup rider in 2 years. That is my nostradamus prediction.

steve smith had an aweful split time, most likely from a crash. But he certainly wasn't slow down the 2nd half of the course.

Split to finish times:
Hill: 1:26.92
Atherton: 1:27.09
Smith: 1:28.5

That kid is rediculous, he just needs to learn to stay on his bike.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Steve's exact quote... "i was going good so i thought i'd pin it through the rooty off camber section".

When he learns to slow down where necessary, he will be unstopable.