Quantcast

Worlds 2006 - Rotorua NZ

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
yup - at Hawkes Bay, NZ about 6 months ago...Evidently Fabien just got off the plane 24hrs earlier.

ELITE MEN
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PL NAME SURNAME # FROM TIME GAP SEEDING
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Samuel Blenkinsop 22 Wanganui 3:18.06 +0:00.00 6-3:24.13
2 Fabien Barel 50 OTD France 3:18.51 +0:00.44 2-3:21.94
3 Nathan Rankin 3 Levin 3:20.72 +0:02.66 8-3:24.23
4 Glenn Haden 4 Wanganui 3:21.36 +0:03.29 1-3:20.43
5 Cameron Cole 25 Hamilton 3:22.93 +0:04.87 7-3:24.17
6 Justin Leov 21 Christchurch 3:24.57 +0:06.51 4-3:23.16

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Bicycle Sheep Trials-Only in New Zealand or maybe Wales

A world first event was held on Sunday: bike sheep herding. Eight teams of three riders lined up for the chance to win $500 (NZ$) for being the quickest to herd three sheep through two sets of gates and into a pen. After watching a sheep dog demonstrate (in a little over four minutes), the Australian junior squad attempted to do so (in the now pouring rain), failing dismally.

After seven minutes of determined efforts with little reward defeat was conceded. A quick meeting of the tournament referees resolved that teams would now only need to move the sheep from their pen down 70 metres to the bottom section of the enclosure and into a waiting pen. Score one for the sheep...

A brilliant sheep trialling performance then ensued with the second Australian junior team gating their three sheep one minute and fourteen seconds after being released. This was to be the best time of the day. However, they still had to fend off a late bid from crack entry, the local Rotorua team who penned their sheep in exactly one minute and thirty seconds. The Great Britain team including top downhiller Tracey Mosely, was third in three minutes and twenty nine seconds.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
is the course is steeper than it looks? slogging through grassy fields does not look like good times. i know nz has some nice knarley mountains somewhere...

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ive seen video of the course from NZ national videos. The course is burlier than it looks. It may not be a rough course, but think about how fast the riders will be going.....Theres clips of Sam Hill taking an S turn are easily 25mph....Its crazy.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
xy9ine said:
is the course is steeper than it looks? slogging through grassy fields does not look like good times. i know nz has some nice knarley mountains somewhere...
That's usually everyone's first impression on the Mt Snow course, but once people start riding, it gets burly.

I heard from Andrew Peirce, he says the whole course is going to be at least 30mph, so it must be steeper than it looks.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
xy9ine said:

those pics are from jill kintner's site www.jillkintner.com

she says it is a lot steeper than it looks, and everyone seems pretty into the track

she has a bunch more pics of the track and the HUGE 4x track on her site as well

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Its funny, the guy who posted the original pics picked out the smoothest looking parts, see:

Steeep!

Can't wait to see some style off this:

From what it looks like, yes it does look pretty smooth, but those woods look fresh and loamy, wait till hundreds of riders rip down, I am sure it will pacl in and get nice and rough.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Off of Jill's site in regard to the DH track:

"Downhill track looks really fun. It is a lot steeper than we had thought from the online video. Up top is a big sheep pasture thing, little hoof prints all over:) green as could be with an incredible view. Upper water jump with wind, then over a bridge. They have a few bridges and put this carpet material on it which is more slippery than the wood. Then the track goes into a wood section with roots, drops, tight turns, miscelaneous trees, etc. Down by the bottom there is a ramp jump to an uphill flat bit, then drops into the trees again. Below that is a cemented rock garden. Then at the finish line they have lanscaped fishladder step things. Everyone seems excited for the track."

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Transcend said:
Shoudl have some photos up shortly. It was snowing, then hailing, then snowing, then raining in buckets and now it's sunny out.
Sounds interesting. Just so we know when to expect updates, whats the time difference?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
12hrs to the east coast and me.

finally some pictures that dont make the course look golfing then looking for a picnic spot in the woods.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
get some pics of the UTOPIA Goggles i painted up for:

Nathan Rennie,
Mick Hannah,
Tracey Hannah,
Sabrina Jonnier,
Justin Havukainen,
Melissa Buhl.

(not sure if they're gonna wear them throughout the week or just race day)

....also a pic of Needles new helmet.

thanks fool!

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
rockymt21 said:
This I REALLY want to see!!!
it's a lot of candy green w/ mini flake...silver pinlines & white sections on the lower part of the jaw area...& on the back.... large sections of zebra in the front of the white fading back.
not toooo detailed...i only had a short time to paint after i got back from Snowmass

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
DylanDeanDesign said:
it's a lot of candy green w/ mini flake...silver pinlines & white sections on the lower part of the jaw area...& on the back.... large sections of zebra in the front of the white fading back.
not toooo detailed...i only had a short time to paint after i got back from Snowmass
It sounds absolutely killer!
I was going to get Zebra stripes on my lid, but im a white Irish boy....