Quantcast

Worlds team bitches

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I'm claiming this personally because we ride with luke and know his potential. There is no reason he shouldn't be in the top ten this year. Just wait...[
Yeah exactly. And Luke has been doing well this year all around; Duncan not as much... If all goes well I don't see why Luke wouldn't make the top 25.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I'm claiming this personally because we ride with luke and know his potential. There is no reason he shouldn't be in the top ten this year. Just wait...[
I think what one of the previous posters was saying.....

If Luke gets 10th, he's not necessarily the 10th best racer in the world.....France, UK for example are jammed packed with talent, but can only send 7.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
It is simple really, I have always done things to support riders and situations, but unlike you I do not stand atop a soap box and let everyone know of my work behind the scenes-it IS apparent the only one who NEEDS attention here is you. You have bamboozled your RM fans into thinking you are some kind of wizard of oz.

Helping people who ride bikes-Doing it still today and I am not even employed by the bicycle business. I just love the fact you think USAC is going to change when myself and countless others have tried steering the boat for them over the years with ZERO success in charting new waters with them.

You know nothing of what I have done or what I do and that is the very reason I mock you. Lets see how you are helping the sport when you have been GONE from it for 4 years, probably absolutely nothing.
Craig,

Simply because yourself and others tried in the past doesn't mean changes can't happen in the here and now and going forward. The past is the past and as a relatively young sport it is amazing how much we all get caught up in it. Many of the execs at USAC are a different group then when you were much more involved in the sport several years back.

The folks I have met so far are both skilled business people and cyclists in their own right. While they might not be downhillers themselves, they did express concern and interest about the state of gravity racing in the US. They have asked questions and showed more than a passing interest in a having strong gravity scene. To me that is an encouraging sign for the future and precisely why I haven't abandoned all hope.

As you say, I do not know all of the work you do/have done, nor do you know mine. I'm not here to toot-my-own horn or trump up my personal accomplishments or relationships. It is natural that those out there putting in effort will get attention for doing such.

Several riders, including yourself, personally asked me to jump into the thread and post my comments or information about what I know on the situation. If you feel "bamboozled" somehow by me, well then my apologies. But I'm not here to impress you, or anyone else for that manner. I am simply here to help riders, help the sport flourish, and just plain have some fun.

Like you I am a passionate person about the sport, about bikes, and about the industry. However, unlike you, I don't come around here to purposely cause a stir and rile people up. While I can, and often do, lace my posts with a degree of whit and sarcasm, I do not use this board or others to bait & hate.

Urbandictionary.com sums this behavior up rather succinctly:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll said:
Troll
1. One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
2. One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevance to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
If you feel you need to argue this any further, please call me and I'll be more than happy to discuss this directly.

Best Regards,

-ska todd

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Yeah! What he said!

It was an easy bet to say he'd make the top 25, but he could definitely break the top 10 as well. I'm down with that. Viva Luke.

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
New addition to Jr. Team

Junior Men’s Downhill
1. JD Swanguen (San Diego, Calif.)
2. Logan Binggeli (St. George, Utah)
3. Brad Oien (Fountain Valley, Calif.)
4. Tim Price (Great Falls, Va.)
5. Tyler McCaul (Aptos, Calif.)
6. Joey Schusler (Boulder, Colo.)
NICE, congrats joey. go rip it up out there

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Todd vs Stik would be such an awesome boxing poster by the way. Stik and Ska with shirts off, sweating and swinging punches....pure comedy.

But seriously you two, let's not go personal attacks. I know you both to be major stand up guys and this is below you both.

I think Stik should send the women's US reps over in all brand new outfits from his wife's shop, sell them overseas...and use it to bring us all back a World Cup t-shirt.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
just got news from David KlassenVanOorschot that he is now offically on the DH squad.

I believe DK was the first alternate on the list & with one of the 1st team members electing not to attend, DK is set to go.

& for those of you still wondering about Cody Warren. I spoke to him the other day... apparently he did not petition to be on the team & he doesn't think he'd be ready to go (might still be getting over an injury?)

fellow pinner

Monkey
May 18, 2007
over there
Email from Matt Cramer

David,

I believe one of the concern was that you would just be getting back on the bike a few weeks prior to Worlds based on your injury from this year. Worlds is going to be a very physically demanding course peak fitness will be essential. It was a very close battle between you and a couple of the other guys. Each of you has Worlds experience making the decision even harder. One thing to keep in mind also is that the selection committee likes to see international experience for elite athlete nominations. Making a Worlds selection on domestic performance only is in a way an apples to oranges comparison as domestic performance is not indicative of international success. A solid international result would have helped in that regard.

Understand it was not an easy decision and your name was not handled lightly. A combination of you just getting back on the bike, and a lack of international results was how the final decision came about. If someone declines their nomination you are the next guy on the list.

Thanks,

Matt Cramer
hey DK I was wondering if you could give me matt cramers email thanks.

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
I'll ask him Friday at Wolf Laurel. He'll be one of the few guys hitting...this:

Geritt has elected not to go to Worlds this year...he has been sick for the last 4 months or so...he wants to make the worlds team next year and be in top form...oh and he is racing Mount Snow (ironhorse series) this weekend...wants to race some new guys so he's up in New England for the next month or so

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'll ask him Friday at Wolf Laurel. He'll be one of the few guys hitting...this:

Geritt has elected not to go to Worlds this year...he has been sick for the last 4 months or so...he wants to make the worlds team next year and be in top form...oh and he is racing Mount Snow (ironhorse series) this weekend...wants to race some new guys so he's up in New England for the next month or so
Yeah Richard was telling me about that. Staf infection from Snowshoe.

Our friend Jack Doub died from a severe case of long term staf several years back. God rest his soul.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
A town that stays in the clouds so it's dark and moist and breeding germs 24/7 like no other.

The one thing I've always wondered is if there are septic fields and sewage that leech up out of all the springs that drain out onto the mountain 24/7. That would be my guess if I worked for Geraldo Rivera.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
A town that stays in the clouds so it's dark and moist and breeding germs 24/7 like no other.

The one thing I've always wondered is if there are septic fields and sewage that leech up out of all the springs that drain out onto the mountain 24/7. That would be my guess if I worked for Geraldo Rivera.
There is a "sewer ledge" (sewer line) that crosses the ski runs just below the second road down from the start line. I have no idea where it goes but you might be on to something.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Pretty lame that that became basically the main criteria for going and they didn't account for a bad run, which happened to me, joey, and some others.
Yep, I crashed twice (once coming through the last turn 30 feet from the finishline.) I finished 3 seconds out of the top 5 with two time consuming crashes.

There's always next year!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
AHHH the old yanks..were u gonna come this time...last :-)..were are all ur good riders...when u gogin to catch up with Europe, Aus and South Africa.....
we'll probably catch up when we are done making more money doing everything other than ride a bike for a living. Or when $10,000.00 a year and "free parts" is more money than 9 to 5 jobs. :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Pretty sure Hill, Minnaar, Peat and Gracia are making more than "$10 000 a year and free parts."
sure...and which one of those guys races the US National circuit?

US DH won't come back until US riders get paid at US races. No rider is gonna want to come through the ranks and their only hope of getting a World Cup ride (even though all the race teams are mostly US Based bike companies) is if they get on the Decline Trade team.

US based bike companies are just as guilty of screwing US DH racing. How many of you know guys on US companies bikes who are being shipped off to World Cups on the company tab? heh

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
US DH will come back when Southern California comes back STRONG into the DH scene. Everything will get better after that....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sure...and which one of those guys races the US National circuit?

US DH won't come back until US riders get paid at US races. No rider is gonna want to come through the ranks and their only hope of getting a World Cup ride (even though all the race teams are mostly US Based bike companies) is if they get on the Decline Trade team.

US based bike companies are just as guilty of screwing US DH racing. How many of you know guys on US companies bikes who are being shipped off to World Cups on the company tab? heh
Why pay to send someone to a race who has no chance? US racing will get strong again when talent is discovered WORTH us companies spending their money on. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be paying a Canadian to go race if they couldn't do any better than 50th when i can get a foreigner who can do a top 10 for the same price?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Why pay to send someone to a race who has no chance? US racing will get strong again when talent is discovered WORTH us companies spending their money on. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be paying a Canadian to go race if they couldn't do any better than 50th when i can get a foreigner who can do a top 10 for the same price?
If you're a US based company and not paying for junior riders full rides to everything you can, then you're wasting your money.
Look back at what just paying for all those Devo kids did for the upcoming talent.

Rock Shox, Trek, etc saw fit to drop a ton of money on those kids and it paid off long term for those kids. Trips to Worlds, etc. Last I checked thanks to their backing, there's a World Cup win, a US National Champion and the 2007 National Champion who came from that program and the tutelage of Stephan Girrard.

US companies are dissing the juniors and what you put in the pot now is what you get out in 5 years.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you're a US based company and not paying for junior riders full rides to everything you can, then you're wasting your money.
Look back at what just paying for all those Devo kids did for the upcoming talent.

Rock Shox, Trek, etc saw fit to drop a ton of money on those kids and it paid off long term for those kids. Trips to Worlds, etc. Last I checked thanks to their backing, there's a World Cup win, a US National Champion and the 2007 National Champion who came from that program and the tutelage of Stephan Girrard.

US companies are dissing the juniors and what you put in the pot now is what you get out in 5 years.
Not a single devo downhill kid besides Buhl went further than quitting as far as I know. Even Whitsell, who probably showed the most promise, moved onto to other things and only races occasionally for fun (like once a year occasionally). Buhl was a talented BMX racer before she started racing MTBs and Missy Giove got her started by giving her a Dh bike etc, not "the industry".

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Not a single devo downhill kid besides Buhl went further than quitting as far as I know. Even Whitsell, who probably showed the most promise, moved onto to other things and only races occasionally for fun (like once a year occasionally).
Not saying he takes racing all seriously but I see Jesse way more than once a year at races.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Not a single devo downhill kid besides Buhl went further than quitting as far as I know. Even Whitsell, who probably showed the most promise, moved onto to other things and only races occasionally for fun (like once a year occasionally).
Gary Houseman - World Cup winner
Todd LeDuc - US National Champ
Christopher Herndon - 2007 US National Champ
Melissa Buhl - US National Champion
During my three year stint at the junior World Championships the Rock Shox DEVO team was instrumental in helping me travel and compete. When my junior years were over on the DEVO team I got picked up for a full factory sponsorship on KHS bicycles who have now been a kind of family to me.
:thumb:

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
The biggest problem is Joe Public knows nothing about the sport of DH racing....it is too damn difficult or expensive to film and is never seen on TV.

Imagine if instead of having to spend mind-numbing hours watching kids doing circus tricks on their skate boards or "X-Treme BMX" we could occasionally watch a documentary on DH racing at its best....If just once the likes of ESPN, Speed or Fuel showed a program of the caliber of Clay's "Between the Tapes"? Don't you think we just might get a few potatoes off their couches and we might just get a few sponsors saying "hey we want to be part of this sport!"

Talent goes where the money is. Until we get big money (read sponsors) into DH our riders will always find richer pastures selling their souls to (gasp!) slope style.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Gary Houseman - World Cup winner
Todd LeDuc - US National Champ
Christopher Herndon - 2007 US National Champ
Melissa Buhl - US National Champion

:thumb:
meh?.... maybe i just wasn't paying attention back in the day... but I don't recall Todd LeDuc or Little House on the Rock Shox Devo team... donno about hearndon... i've only known him for a few years.

honestly the only 3 peeps from the Devo team i remeber were Buhly, Whitsell, & Danni Connolly... the rest seem to fade in my memory

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ledus is no longer race despite his success, Houseman gone due to having that title TAKEN AWAY. Seems like helping juniors with a factory style program isn't as guaranteed way to keep them in the sport, is it? Not a great return on your investment as a company if your prodigy, who you sunk your cash into, prefers to take up rollerblading or chess or something when he hits senior level.

Just saying, $ into a current talent is a much larger return on an investment in that type of speculative market.

Same thing is seen in every junior dev program in all sports. Kids attitudes and interests change. It happens.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
There is a "sewer ledge" (sewer line) that crosses the ski runs just below the second road down from the start line. I have no idea where it goes but you might be on to something.
i have that problem with the lacrosse field at my school, i spend 2 days in the hospital because of it.

tangboy

Chimp
Aug 6, 2002
Fort Myers, Florida
meh?.... maybe i just wasn't paying attention back in the day... but I don't recall Todd LeDuc or Little House on the Rock Shox Devo team... donno about hearndon... i've only known him for a few years.

honestly the only 3 peeps from the Devo team i remeber were Buhly, Whitsell, & Danni Connolly... the rest seem to fade in my memory
I believe Little House was Devo in 1998, but definitely won the Junior National title at Vermont that year.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
It's coming, and we don't even have lift-assisted riding here.
I was talking about money coming back into the sport like decent salaries and event promotion.........

Excellent to see one of our Juniors do well at worlds.

He going to be free ride guy though....no..?.......