Quantcast

Worst mechanical designs still seen on bicycles

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Really? I just threw away 4 brand new ones. Couldn't give those things away. One of the worst tires I've ever used.
I had similar experiences... except, the ones I had weren't even sticky. Very slippery on anything remotely hardpack. Running them on concrete was downright dangerous.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I love the small block 8 but...

They will wash and destroy you if there is even a little dust in the corners. I can run 8's front and rear for DJ but when it comes to DS I have to throw a Larsen on up front for extra bite.

PS the 8 is the only Kenda that I will use.
Ive never had any problems with mine washing out and I've pushed them really hard. I do run a bit lower than normal tire pressure. Just enough to keep them from rolling over in the berms at race speed. That's probably what makes the difference.

And I've only ever run the sb8s from kenda. I'll probably stick with sb8s and minions until they quit making them or something happens that gives me a reason not to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know I'm a bit late on this, but why does everyone hate on Kenda tires? I love my small block eights. They are the fastest, lightest tires I've ever run and they grip perfect on almost everything. Plus they're pine scented! They're the only kendas I've ever run though. Maybe I'm missing something..
because they flat like they were designed to, for dh.

KENDA: Keep Extras Nearby Dumb Ass

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Ive never had any problems with mine washing out and I've pushed them really hard. I do run a bit lower than normal tire pressure. Just enough to keep them from rolling over in the berms at race speed. That's probably what makes the difference.
On hard pack they are great.

I don't think that the shoulder knobs are tall enough to grab in dusty conditions though. I had a few incidents of eating sh!t because of moon dust building up in berms. Switching to the Larsen's with a more square profile seems to have fixed the problem.

Just a personal observation and you may be right about the PSI's. I don't run mine at less then 35 or 40 PSI because my large ass (probably around 200 lb these days) has a tendency to fold the flimsy sidewalls, which is scary.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
On hard pack they are great.

I don't think that the shoulder knobs are tall enough to grab in dusty conditions though. I had a few incidents of eating sh!t because of moon dust building up in berms. Switching to the Larsen's with a more square profile seems to have fixed the problem.

Just a personal observation and you may be right about the PSI's. I don't run mine at less then 35 or 40 PSI because my large ass (probably around 200 lb these days) has a tendency to fold the flimsy sidewalls, which is scary.
Haha yeah I'm about 155 in season. That probably makes a huge difference on tire pressure and tire choice. All the hard pack around here gets super dusty in the summer but it's never caused me to wash out. I normally run about 25-30psi on my slalom bike and 20-25 on my DH bike.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Really? I just threw away 4 brand new ones. Couldn't give those things away. One of the worst tires I've ever used.
dump said:
I had similar experiences... except, the ones I had weren't even sticky. Very slippery on anything remotely hardpack. Running them on concrete was downright dangerous.
I was specifically referring to the 2.6's DH, not sure what y'all were running? Neither of the 2 I owned ever shed a knob, and didn't have any issues with sidewall punctures. (Unlike Nevegal's).

They were plenty grippy, and definitely not the worst tire I've ever run. That would be a the fire xc.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Those are the only pedals I use for MTB, I love them. They work great for me.
How long have you owned them. I bought 2 pairs. For me and my mate and they were horrible for both of us so I doubt it's a single case.

Have you tried time, new dx or cb? Because they were the sole purpose of me having not qualified for the finals in 2 races. It's not an overstatement.