Quantcast

worth getting an x-ray??

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
so i cased a jump last sunday and went over the bars and came down hard on i think my side. knocked the wind out of me, of course, and couldn't take a full breath for a good 15 minutes. after that lots of pain and things....

thought i cracked/broke a rib but it wasn't ALL that painful. funny thing is ribs didn't hurt to the touch or pressue (could lay on my side fine)

in a few days there was a tiny bruise at my shoulder blade, but that was it for bruising. taking full breaths hurt, certain movements...in about 5 days felt almost totally recovered, figured maybe just a muscle bruise.

did some djing and bmx track on sat/sun and now i hurt all over agin! sneezing sucks but not unbearable

so whatdya think? it's not ALL that painful but it's weird that i feel pain inside my rib cavity but my actual ribs don't really hurt....

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Well, I'm no Doctor, but I do play a guy with a Mullet on RM...anyways, if you have medical insurance, why not go to the Dr. and have it checked out. Better safe than sorry...

I'm sure you will get lots of advice on here but the reality is that no one can tell what is wrong over the internet. Have it checked out. If the Doc says it's just bruising than take a couple of days off the bike and rest.

J

JRB

Ribs ain't a big deal unless you are spitting up blood. Quit being a sissy. ;)

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Megan Black said:
but, see i don't know if i'm being a hypochondriac or not....
You do have insurance, right? If you are paying for it than you might as well use it.

A Hypochondriac? Do you go running to the emergency room every time you get a scratchy throat?

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
loco-gringo said:
Ribs ain't a big deal unless you are spitting up blood. Quit being a sissy. ;)
i AM coughing up blood...but you're right..i'm going to go take a couple more laps on the bike to try to work it out...

juuuuuust kidding!!

yeah, JP, people have given me that suggestion, it's just that i started a new job and i haven't officially signed up for ins. cuz i haven't the papers yet..yada, yada, yada and see, i don't even know if it's worth the ER fee ($75 bucks i think) ya know!

i guess if i hear lot's of people saying, "oh believe me, you KNOW if you did something" then it probably wouldn't be worth it, but if i heard a lot of people saying, "i don't know, you should probably go" then it would be worth it...

oh and thanks for the input!

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Joe Pozer said:
You do have insurance, right? If you are paying for it than you might as well use it.

A Hypochondriac? Do you go running to the emergency room every time you get a scratchy throat?
no, but my mom is a hypochondriac and i just sometimes wonder if it got passed down.

i just dunno sometimes. there'll be times when something doesn't feel serious and it turns out to be real serious, then there's times where it feels serious and it's nothing.....

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
A friend of mine cracked a rib and had no visible signs, the only way you remembered was if somebody bumped him on the side on accident, then he was wheezing in pain for about 5 minutes. I would suggest going to see a docter, I personally would rather know one way or another what happened.

J

JRB

Maybe you should post a pic with your shirt off so we can make an informed comment.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
loco-gringo said:
Maybe you should post a pic with your shirt off so we can make an informed comment.
that's a good suggestion...

i'm sure i broke a rib from riding out at Duvall a year ago. i was dumb and did'nt go see a doc. it's better to get an x-ray to make sure there isn't any damage besides that though. otherwise broken/cracked ribs are mainly a nuisance for a month and nothing more.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I would go to an apothecary.

Actually just don't go riding for a few days. Try skiing. Anyway if it hurts even after a rest period I would see the Doc.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I broke 3 ribs this summer.

I didn't go to the doctor

There is nothing a doctor can do for you with an injury like broken or craked ribs. All they can do is give you painkillers. If you're not puking up blood or anything else along those lines, I would just take it easy for about a week or so...........

Criminal

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Meh don't worry about it...doctors are overrated unless you are on deaths bed. I break my hands all the time and dont worry the black look of bruising picks up mad chicks! Plus you can't do **** for ribs.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
They cant do anything for ribs except prescribe you drugs, I wouldnt go but if the pain is getting to you then you might as well. I'll never go to the ER again for a collar bone unless it's poking through my skin. Last time I was there all they did was almost make me pass out when the nurse doing the X rays put her hand on my shoulder and pushed. I went from minimal pain to delerious and sweat soaked almost immediately, then she kept screwing up the x-rays so I had to stand there seeing stars and sturggling to keep my balance for a couple minutes. I should add that you could see that my collarbone was broken without any damn X ray. :mumble:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Oh and sign your self up for medical too. My broken leg wound up costing well over 30 grand after everything is said and done. Without medical insurance i'd have had to sell the farm. :help:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TheInedibleHulk said:
<snip> Last time I was there all they did was almost make me pass out when the nurse doing the X rays put her hand on my shoulder and pushed. I went from minimal pain to delerious and sweat soaked almost immediately, then she kept screwing up the x-rays so I had to stand there seeing stars and sturggling to keep my balance for a couple minutes. I should add that you could see that my collarbone was broken without any damn X ray. :mumble:
Quit being such a wuss. :D

-S.S.-

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Megan Black said:
yeah, JP, people have given me that suggestion, it's just that i started a new job and i haven't officially signed up for ins. cuz i haven't the papers yet..yada, yada, yada and see, i don't even know if it's worth the ER fee ($75 bucks i think) ya know!
umm, $75!? ..........it will definitely cost you way more than that!!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
For some reason, after knowing Presely works in ER, staying at home seems like a viable option.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i wouldnt worry about it too much. when i busted my ribs there wasnt anything they could do, but it doesnt sound like yours are broken. There are so many fibers that can tear between them and be kinda sore for months.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
biggins said:
i wouldnt worry about it too much. when i busted my ribs there wasnt anything they could do, but it doesnt sound like yours are broken. There are so many fibers that can tear between them and be kinda sore for months.
i croaked my ribs back in June and it's still sore sometimes.

it sucks getting old. :blah:

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
OH MY GOD I SAW PRESSLEY LAST NIGHT AT THE ER!!

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding!

turns out i am just a big wuss, he didn't even want to take x-rays.

oh, the $75 would be for the copay for an emergency room visit, and i wanted to go to the emergency room cause i didn't think i could get set up with a regular doc and consultation, blah blah blah withouth insurance yet

anyway thanks for the tips and things!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
wow, $75 copay is a ton!

not sure what took me so long, but i've finally started a flexible spending account for '05. tax-free dollars for medical-related stuff sounds good.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Megan Black said:

oh, the $75 would be for the copay for an emergency room visit, and i wanted to go to the emergency room cause i didn't think i could get set up with a regular doc and consultation, blah blah blah withouth insurance yet

How do you have a copay when you dont have insurance yet?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
wow, $75 copay is a ton!
Not for an emergency room visit. It's getting pretty standard for health plans to make you pay a decent copay on the ER visits.

not sure what took me so long, but i've finally started a flexible spending account for '05. tax-free dollars for medical-related stuff sounds good.
Yeah - until the end of the year is approaching and you haven't used it. I guess we'll have to head in for massages until it's gone! :D

-S.S.-

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Yeah - until the end of the year is approaching and you haven't used it. I guess we'll have to head in for massages until it's gone! :D

-S.S.-
Julie keeps telling me to go buy new lenses and to go get my teeth cleaned. How the hell am I supposed to know what will be wrong with me during the course of the year???

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SkaredShtles said:
It's getting pretty standard for health plans to make you pay a decent copay on the ER visits.

-S.S.-
And the reason for this is because so many dumb azzes go to the emergency room when they have a cold, and they charge you a few hundred for walking in the door.
Also, make sure you read the fine print of those ER Copays, most of the time it is refundable if you get admitted into the hospital.
So yeah, stay out of the emergency room unless your arm is falling off, and none of your relatives can sew that well.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Megan Black said:

But better safe than sorry. And knowing if you it's a break/fracture or just severe brusing lets you know how long you have to stay off the bike! When my doc gave me the "serverely bruised" diagnosis after a bad crash the first thing I of course asked was "So that means I can still ride and it won't do anymore damage?" He just looked at me, shook his head, laughed, and gave me a perscription for some super duper advil :thumb:

Glad to hear it's nothing serious though even though hurt ribs hurt like a biotch!!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Jeremy R said:
stay out of the emergency room unless your arm is falling off, and none of your relatives can sew that well.

i went in when my hand was falling off my arm, does that count even though my arm wasnt falling off?

although i agree that people need to quit going to the emergency room for no issue whatsoever. They get a cold and go running in there and want all kinds of medicine.