Quantcast

wtf?

J

JRB

lovebunny said:
so whats up with this ad?
Maybe that is why they asked when a girl becomes a woman. They know it's wrong for boys to hit women, but girls are fair game. :think:

Sep 29, 2004
look i dont beat up girls to assert superiority over them bc i feel inferior and intimidated for fear that i am unnatractive

J

JRB

gigapower said:
I called them about my wife, they told me to get some balls....if they could only see the tears.
Uhm - stosh, I though you were in NY. :confused:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I notice the way that it purposely refers to males an females in two different manners males are "boys", females are "women", so the subtext is implying men who hit women are childish, while females are somehow special, revered and deserving of an elevated level of respect. However it appears it's perfectly O.K. to abuse men.

I'm tired of society trying to enforce a double standard, women and men are the same, except women deserve special protection. I'm not slamming women, I'm saying that it's wrong to use a physical advantage to abuse anyone, man, woman, child, or animal. Gender shouldn't be and isn't the issue, violence is.

What it needs to say is "if you are unable to cope with conflict without physically lashing out you are childish idiot.... or George Bush, same difference"

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
your post reminded me of this girl at my school. shes a feminist and for some reason thinks all guys are out to get her. and she also is active in womens rights. she is allways talking about equality for women and such. but im just curious, in our society, we have established that equality have we not? women can vote, women can hold any job they want. and if they are discriminated against because they're women, theres laws to protect them. so what rights are they fighting for?

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
lovebunny said:
its kinda sexist. last time i checked it wasnt just guys who abuse there spouses. yes i know the majority are guys but why would they single out guys

because we have the pen!s, thats why.

equal rights must be balanced with equal wrongs.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Reactor said:
I notice the way that it purposely refers to males an females in two different manners males are "boys", females are "women", so the subtext is implying men who hit women are childish, while females are somehow special, revered and deserving of an elevated level of respect.

no, what it is saying is teach your male child (or boy) that viollence against women (grown up girls) is wrong. you can't very well teach a grown man who beats his wife that violence against women is wrong. as well, you don't have to mayn four year olds beating the **** out of their "girlfriends". it's called preventative measure. its also sponsored by the FAMILY VIOLENCE PREVENTION FUND. the end of the banner add says "teach early".

its a banner add that supports domestic violence education at an early age. some of you guys on this board (not repack in particular) are just as, if not more touchy than feminists. how about we don't get pissed off that there are banner adds supporting domestic violence education, and get more pissed off that there is a need for one.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
What does one do when they see their wife stumbling around the front yard?

Shoot her again. :D

Hey, I DO live in Virginia after all.

Seriously though, any man who beats their wife, I offer an open invitation, come try that sh*t with me!! It’s sad really, NO ONE has EVER taken me up on that offer…….

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The problem with the add is that all violence is wrong, and the add is discriminatory and singles out half of the population for scorn. Boys and girls both need to be taught to solve problems in a nonviolent manner. If you can't see that... well you can apply your own insults to yourself.

If it had said, and it should have said, "teach your children not to hit people", I wouldn't have a problem with it. The add is biased against men, it didn't have to be. If the add had just against domestic violence, an area where women are quickly catching up with men, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Reactor said:
If the add had just against domestic violence, an area where women are quickly catching up with men, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

i wouldn't argue this any further but you are definitely going to have to back this statement up.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i agree with reactor. except about the women catching up thing. im not sure about that. any of you who know about my childhood know that i am against any violence against women and children. but i was kind of offended that its targeted at men only. and if we only edjucate boys on domestic abuse then the girls will be catching up soon. and all through elementary school theyre taught that boys cant hit them. they take it as we are allowed to hit boys but they cant hit us back, and if they do theyll just get in trouble. ive allways thought this was a messed up system before because i didnt like getting hit and now because i understand what raising a child this way can do.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
lovebunny said:
its kinda sexist. last time i checked it wasnt just guys who abuse there spouses. yes i know the majority are guys but why would they single out guys

Get used to the two way road my friend.....

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
From a website using Data from an 1998 DOJ study:

Every year, 1,510,455 women and 834,732 men are victims of physical violence by an intimate. This is according to a Nov. 1998 Department of Justice report on the National Violence Against Women Survey. What does that mean? Every 37.8 seconds, somewhere in America a man is battered. Every 20.9 seconds, somewhere in America a woman is battered.

There may be a trend toward less violence against women, more violence against men, or both. While 76.5% of the people reporting physical violence by an intimate in their lifetime were women, only 62.5% of the people reporting physical violence by an intimate in the last year were women, and 37.5% were men.

The data show that men are more likely to have a knife used on them or to be threatened with a knife, hit with an object, kicked, bitten or have something thrown at them. Women are more likely to beaten up, threatened with a gun, choked, victims of drowning attempts, have their hair pulled or be pushed, grabbed or shoved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Domestic Violence against men is greatly under-reported.
Domestic Violence is sad and wrong no matter who it's against.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
laura said:
its a banner add that supports domestic violence education at an early age. some of you guys on this board (not repack in particular) are just as, if not more touchy than feminists. how about we don't get pissed off that there are banner adds supporting domestic violence education, and get more pissed off that there is a need for one.
:stupid:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
laura said:
no, what it is saying is teach your male child (or boy) that viollence against women (grown up girls) is wrong. you can't very well teach a grown man who beats his wife that violence against women is wrong. as well, you don't have to mayn four year olds beating the **** out of their "girlfriends". it's called preventative measure. its also sponsored by the FAMILY VIOLENCE PREVENTION FUND. the end of the banner add says "teach early".

:stupid:

Peoples' reading comprehension around this place sucks. :mad:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lovebunny said:
i agree with reactor. except about the women catching up thing. im not sure about that. any of you who know about my childhood know that i am against any violence against women and children. but i was kind of offended that its targeted at men only. and if we only edjucate boys on domestic abuse then the girls will be catching up soon. and all through elementary school theyre taught that boys cant hit them. they take it as we are allowed to hit boys but they cant hit us back, and if they do theyll just get in trouble. ive allways thought this was a messed up system before because i didnt like getting hit and now because i understand what raising a child this way can do.
Sadly I think you are right. I see more and more violent girls these days. I know that when I was growing up my sister could hit me all day long and it was OK. As soon as I smacked her back I was feeling the leather of my dads belt on my backside. Today my sister is violent and short tempered, especially when she doesn't get her way. We don't talk much these days.

I think everyone should be taught that violence is wrong. But I also think that most violence in this world is perpetrated by men.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
There was just a big article in time or newsweek that was all about a rise in female violence. It focused mainly on high schoolers beating the crap out of each other, but there were a bunch of interesting "female violence on the rise" facts.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
lovebunny said:
but im just curious, in our society, we have established that equality have we not? women can vote, women can hold any job they want. and if they are discriminated against because they're women, theres laws to protect them.
True there are laws in place, but it can still be quite the uphill battle. Some comments/actions can be subltly enough that an outside opinion can twist the meaning, and without an HR department that's protecting the higher ups it becomes even harder. Not to mention if you work in a small industry word of things travels very very fast.

I'm not saying that men don't face discrimination in the workplace as well, but I've been in more than one situation where I was the only female engineer employed in the entire engineering department (both big and very very large) and you get some guys who can't get over then fact that they have daughters your age or that girls in fact do get dirty and **gasp** have some brains!!! Constantly having to prove yourself while the guy in the situation next to you is just accepting due to the fact that he's male tends to get a bit old after awhile. I knew I was in for some of this when I chose my career in school so I'm not complaining...I enjoyed the work I did at the time, had a great education, but have used have now used that as a basis to move into a career field that isn't such an "old boys network".

As for the ad...yes I think violence from both men and women is an issue that needs to be addressed, but you gotta start somewhere. And no matter how strong or confident of a women you are, nothing beats you down quite like that...bruises heal, excuses can be made, but the emotional damage last a very very very long time.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
lovebunny said:
your post reminded me of this girl at my school. shes a feminist and for some reason thinks all guys are out to get her. and she also is active in womens rights. she is allways talking about equality for women and such. but im just curious, in our society, we have established that equality have we not? women can vote, women can hold any job they want. and if they are discriminated against because they're women, theres laws to protect them. so what rights are they fighting for?
Equality has not been established in our society. Look at the number of top jobs and offices held by men, the lack of women-specific benefits in the office world(though that is getting better), pay levels for the same jobs, etc. Internationaly the women's movement is huge. While you think things may be peachy in the US(and it has gotten better), abroad women are still being treated as property. In the past few years the feminist movement has been focused on places like China, countries in Africa, India, and the Middle East(to name a few spots) in hopes of pressuring government and the people to fight for women's rights.

Also in the academic world there is still a fight to get more women teachers and more women(especially writers) into the academic canon. I think it was earlier this year there was a dean of a major U.S. college who commented on women not being appropriately minded for science. Caused a huge uproar and goes to show you that sexism is hidden in the highest levels of our country.

Other examples would be the huge number of women writers from the 18th and 19th centuries who are not considered teachable in most universities, despite oftenhaving more talent than the men who have long been considered the masters of the English language.

And last week I was at a party where some dumbass decided it was cool to refer to a group of girls as "hoes"(to me and then to their faces). I had to laugh when nearly every girl in the party turned on him and confronted him on the issue. So for some people respect for women still doesn't last past the kitchen floor or a few beers at a school party.

I'd say talk with the girl who is a femnist at your school and have a conversation with her. You'll probably find that there is more than one femnist at your school.

The Ito

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I believe all people should be treated equally, regardless of gender, race, religion, hair color, or any other totally BS reason people make up to segment themselves.

Domestic violence is wrong. Period. Gender discrimination is wrong. Period. This isn't a gender based issue, it's a violence issue.

The sterotypical discriminatory wording in the add just fuel the fire and reinforce sterotypes.
<edit>

America has a violence problem, White washing it by blaming one group or another just helps hide extent of the problem.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
erastusboy said:
There was just a big article in time or newsweek that was all about a rise in female violence. It focused mainly on high schoolers beating the crap out of each other, but there were a bunch of interesting "female violence on the rise" facts.
i WONDER!!! why that is. look at all the dribble coming out of hollyweird promoting the TOUGH CHICK syndrome. we as a culture glorify violence in all its forms and now it has spilled over into the xx gene pool.

million dollar baby just won an oscar...yeah lets promote female boxing

electra

alias (she can FIGHT her way out of any situation)

gosh i just dont know why girls these days are confused about their roles

ahhhh the wonders of feminism

rant over

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I don't think there's anything wrong with "tough" role models for chicks. You can be tough, know how to take of yourself, and not have a violent attitude. I consider myself to be a "tough chick" in that I can get dirty and throw around a bike with the boys but that doesn't mean I beat the crap out of everyone I see or anyone who pisses me off. I think it's more about having a role model to relate to that isn't the sterotypical helpless girl screaming "save me, save me" or flipping out because "oh my god I broke a nail"...I don't have nails, so I can't break 'em and I like to see other chicks who fall into the same category. Parents are the one who need to step up and teach their children what the difference is between being "tough" and being "violent"...big difference.