Quantcast

X Games No Helmets

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I know skateboarders in the Dew Cup have not been wearing helmets for the past year. Are they the only ones going without helmets?

killsdeer4fun

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
I've had a problem with no helmets especially on commercials. At least portray it as a safe sport. Even a bucket lid would be fine. Not everything has to be a fashion statement.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
are we talking about street skating? I used to skate all the time and never found the need for a helmet. When you street skate, you get really good at falling. If it were bmx or something, then i could see why you'd need a helmet.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't crash on my mountain bike either. But I have, and I wasn't wearing a helmet, I would have a major head injury.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Having a sport that people follow and not using safety equipment is stupid. Kids look up to these douchebags and won't wear a helmet because of it. Perhaps a kid will be lucky enough to see someone's matter on the ramp and they will then get it. I never wore a helmet skating street, but likely should have. If you're too big a pussy for some ramp burn on your knees, why not wear a helmet???

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Man I hate to see good riders get ****ed up. Pro stuff is so big. Way to much inertia for the ol melon.

Seems like there is two basic rider types. The businessman who trashes his body in small increments and is around forever (ala Tony Hawk) and then the fireball who comes out going big then is gone after three years.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
To be honest, I don't care about the halfpipe as much. I used to work next a place with a half pipe, and there were no head injuries in the two years that I was there.

However, watching street, there are some awkward angles people are trying to land. There is also the example they are setting. Finally, I wear a helmet everytime I sit on a bike, and my head doesn't melt.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
why not just stop being a bitch about it and let people do what they want to do. does it have any effect on your day to day life? i think helmets are reasonable for park and vert and mega ramp, but street you should be able to choose. i don't ride with a helmet riding street, but i do for ramps most of the time, and dirt most of the time. it's personal choice.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
why not just stop being a bitch about it and let people do what they want to do. does it have any effect on your day to day life? i think helmets are reasonable for park and vert and mega ramp, but street you should be able to choose. i don't ride with a helmet riding street, but i do for ramps most of the time, and dirt most of the time. it's personal choice.
Just like you say about people making choices, do you think people choose to crash??? Is dirt somehow harder than concrete or asphalt??? This sometimes I wear one mentality astounds me. :think:

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
Just like you say about people making choices, do you think people choose to crash??? Is dirt somehow harder than or asphalt??? This sometimes I wear one mentality astounds me. :think:
i wish i could choose when i crash. i'd mark those days on my calendar as to be properly prepared for the impending disaster that awaits me. the choices thing was also about people choosing whether or not they want to wear one. i'm an avid BMX rider, and accept the fact that crashes are commonplace in the sport i engage in. if garrett reynolds wants to throw a truck down a 17 stair without a helmet, good for him.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Helmets are not just a simple personal choice. A single bad head injury means society pays greatly in emergency, healthcare, lawsuit, and other costs.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Apparently it effects grammar and punctuation.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Helmets are not just a simple personal choice. A single bad head injury means society pays greatly in emergency, healthcare, lawsuit, and other costs.
I agree. I worked as a social worker for three years at a company that houses and cares for people with traumatic brain injuries. This company charged more money than you could imagine for the services that were provided. Uncle Sam picked up most or all of the cost in most cases.

Also, if you think it's cool to ride without a helmet, you should spend a day at that facility, I guarantee you would change your mind.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
Apparently it effects grammar and punctuation.
i don't know what's wrong with you then, but it does not affect me.

Also, if you think it's cool to ride without a , you should spend a day at that facility, I guarantee you would change your mind.
i don't do it to look cool, i do it because it's a hell of a lot more comfortable to ride without a helmet on a hot day.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Think of it like this, do you want your child out riding/skating without a helmet? Would you like to see your child become a vegetable and have to wipe there ass and change their diapers for there life? What happens when the Pros dont were helmets, it teaches the kids they dont need helmets, no matter how you argue this its true. It only takes one crash to become a cripple, and a helmet is the quickest easiest way to help prevent that from happening.

If you dont want to wear a helmet when you ride/skate.....Fine, then dont. Just moe chlorine in the gene pool. But the pros should be setting the example for the young kids to follow. If you can honestly say its more comfy to not ewar a helmet, go get one thats the right size and fit. My XC helmet and my DJ lid Fit properly, and I dont even realize I am wearing them after more than a few minutes.

If I ever catch my kids riding or skating without a helmet, I will cut there bike or board in half, and put them into chess club.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
to those who flip **** over this whole helmet dealio: how many of you wear a helmet when driving a car?

honestly, nobody cares that you are 'smarter' than those who don't wear a helmet because, guess what? you still have managed to prove through this argument that you are truly a hypocritical douchebag since you don't wear a helmet in a car.

congrats.

edit: i wear a helmet every time i get nasty on a bike (read: not commuting) and every time i ride a snowboard.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
to those who flip **** over this whole helmet dealio: how many of you wear a helmet when driving a car?

honestly, nobody cares that you are 'smarter' than those who don't wear a helmet because, guess what? you still have managed to prove through this argument that you are truly a hypocritical douchebag since you don't wear a helmet in a car.

congrats.

edit: i wear a helmet every time i get nasty on a bike (read: not commuting) and every time i ride a snowboard.
I hear ya man.

Why would you wear a helmet when all drivers are courteous, alert and not yaking on their cel phones ?

I want to commute on my bike where you live, I'm soooo jealous.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
so that in 5 years you have to wipe their ass because they're miserable slobs who play WoW all day? good policy.
Are you kidding me? My kids wont be allowed to play that ****. If they end up not being allowed to ride bikes because they ae being dumb****s, then they get to play chess for entertainment. In no way does that mean I will allow them to be fat lazy ****heads. It just means that instead of going out for a ride, we are going out for a run in the hills, or the local Hischool stadium, or the gym, or anything.

Damn has it ever been so obvious someone is young and dumb before?

I will say it again, I could give a **** if you dont want to wear a helmet, but if your in the spotlight, then think about teh example you would want to set for your kids. If you would allow your kids to do what your doing without a helmet, then your balls should just be cut off now for being an irresponsible jackass of a parent.

This is no bull****, the worst head injury I have seen personally happen, happened back when I first got into the bike industry. I let a customer take a bike for a test ride, and I didnt enforce the Helmet policy for test rides. I suggested, She didnt want to. She was test riding a friggin Navigator of all things. So she took a turn a little wrong, dumped the bike, and wacked her melon on one of those stupid little parking curbs. Well, as first she thought she was ok, about a minute later she passes out, ten more seconds and she is in convulsions and we are starting CPR, and calling an ambulance. She woke up a week and a half later in the hospital with a tube sticking out of her head to maintain and control the pressure in her brain. In the long run, it took her about eight months to relearn how to walk after that, and still to this day cant speak without slurring. She is lucky to be alive, and lucky she isnt a near brain dead veggie in constant convalesant care.

No, we didnt get sued, at that time we had all customers who wanted to test ride sign a waiver, if under eighteen, Mom or Dad had to be Present and sign.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

congrats.

Studies have proven that there are relatively few head injuries from car accidents. Airbags and seatbelts prevent them.

If there was a strong chance I would get a head injury from a car wreck, **** yeah I would wear an auto helmet.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
i don't do it to look cool, i do it because it's a hell of a lot more comfortable to ride without a helmet on a hot day.
I can tell you from personal experience that laying in a hospital bed in pain with massive bills adding up is a lot more uncomfortable...I just hope you don't end up finding this out the hard way!....D

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I usually don't wade in on these debates, but since some moron stated that wearing a helmet on a hot day is uncomfortable, I decided to weigh in.

I sweat like a leaky faucet, even in mild weather and I ALWAYS wear a helmet when I ride. Even on the hottest days. I have my helmet on when I'm on my bike. I usually rock a do-rag which helps channel the sweat away from my eyes.

When my son was learning o ride a bike, I told him that to get on his bike, he had to have a helmet on. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Studies have proven that there are relatively few head injuries from car accidents. Airbags and seatbelts prevent them.

If there was a strong chance I would get a head injury from a car wreck, **** yeah I would wear an auto helmet.
Each year many drivers suffer brain injuries as a result of car accidents. Brain injuries are the fourth leading cause of death in the US, and the leading cause of death in people under 40 years of age. Just as the rest of the body is susceptible to bruising and breaking, the brain too can endure serious trauma.

It is estimated that nearly 500,000 head injuries are sustained each year in the United States, at a rate of about 200 per 100,000. These statistics involve injury victims who have been admitted to a hospital. A recent study has suggested that all head injuries (both unreported and reported) total nearly 8 million annually across the country.

There are three broad categories of traumatic brain injuries:
Blunt trauma involves a blow to the head from a heavy object. Whether or not the skull is penetrated, some amount of the kinetic energy from the strike is transmitted to the brain and other cranial contents through of pressure waves. These signals cause a neurological balance within the brain.
Penetrating trauma from a bullet or other projectile produces by far the most destructive concussive-compressive injury. Damage results from both the object itself, and the impact forces crushing the brain tissue.

Acceleration-deceleration forces may also cause injury. The most common example of an acceleration-deceleration injury is seen in the victims of motor vehicle accidents. Damage occurs as a result of the inertial forces, and tends to be more severe and widespread.

When a car traveling at high speed comes to a sudden stop, the body and head continue moving forward at the original velocity until brought to a stop after impacting the surface in the vehicle. In just seconds, the brain is subjected to powerful acceleration and deceleration forces, transferring large amounts of kinetic energy to the internal brain membranes.
There are three levels of trauma that may be distinguished: (1) concussion, (2) contusion, and (3) laceration.

A concussion, very common, is a jarring shock that damages the brain. A typical hockey or football player can tell you about these. On the other hand, a contusion involves actual bruising of the brain tissue. These are obviously more serious than a concussion. Finally, a laceration involves direct penetration or cutting of the brain tissue.

Brain injuries may also be classified as “primary” or “secondary.”
Primary injuries result directly from trauma, while secondary injuries appear later as complications from a different primary injury. Secondary effects are not easily recognized at the onset of a brain injury. In time, however, the debilitating nature of head trauma presents itself more fully.

Management of head injuries has improved significantly over the last few decades, both in diagnosis and treatment. Early and aggressive management of head injuries will improve the outcome substantially. It is vitally important that you seek medical care if you believe you have sustained even a mild traumatic brain injury.

The treatment rendered will depend upon the grade diagnosis, which can be either a level I, II, III. or IV.

Grade I is considered a mild injury, and constitutes the vast majority of trauma patients seen in a hospital. Although awake and alert, these patients often suffer short-term loss of consciousness or amnesia. Most recover without difficulty; secondary effects are minimal.

Grade II head injury is moderate, with patient alertness but sluggishness. They are treated carefully as the patient may easily fall into a Grade III if left alone. Care is similar to those with more severe head trauma, including hospitalization, steroid use, and the use of antiepileptic drugs.

Grade III injuries are severe, and the patient’s consciousness is impaired to the point where she cannot follow simple commands. Doctors employ an aggressive approach to care, including a host of diagnostic studies, surgical intervention, psychological evaluations and therapeutic agents.

A Grade IV brain injury presents no evidence of brain function. Of course, they are the most serious type of brain injury. While the perception of society is that the classic “Grade IV” injury is what a brain injury actually is, these injuries are relatively uncommon.

Aside from traditional physical treatment, physicians will employ a series of psychological tests in an attempt to diagnose the “non-physical” injury of the brain. These may include a host of objective personality tests, the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), projective personality tests, and intelligence tests such using the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale or the Stanford-Binet test.

Cognitive defects present the most unique challenge to brain injury victims. To the outside world, the injured person looks and acts completely normal. Inside, however, a “different person” exists. Treatment is improving and involves retraining for various skills, such as problem-solving and abstract thinking.

A brain injury patient’s prognosis is based on a host of factors, including: age, length of coma, posttraumatic amnesia, location and extent of brain lesion, responsiveness, TANS signs, Glascow Coma Scale score, and other indicia of injury severity. Naturally, your physician is in a much better position to offer predictions about your future.

Now STFU.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
It just amazes me the length riders will go to, to rationalize not wearing a helmet.

My father took a really nasty crash on a training ride a couple of years ago that resulted in a sub-dural hematoma, i.e. bleeding on the brain. He appeared to be fine after the crash for a couple of weeks, but being of the generation where pain is never admitted, he wouldn't go to the doctor until he started having problems with his motor skills and speech.

We took him to the ER, where he was admitted to neurology and operated on to relieve the bleeding. That means they cut a section of his skull away and closed it up with a rather nasty looking row of staples. Without the operation he would have died. Watching him go through that and worrying about him ending up a vegetable scared the sh1t out of me and my Mom.

He was wearing a helmet when he crashed.

So to all you that think helmets are silly, uncool, uncomfortable, or whatever, think again. And if you can't figure it out then maybe you don't have a head worth protecting.