Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

rwilder

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hey all,
I'm going to SS Saturday. I've never been there. Can you clue me in to which trails are good to start on for an intermediate rider? Which chair to use?

Thnx!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
the only legal trails there are fireroads. there are maps for those. anything else is a poach-trail and the SS people may boot you from the mountain for riding it :rolleyes: look for the guy on the canfield bike that is a clear violation of the lift regulations and any trail you see him on will get you busted :)

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Yo..Mammoth crew....

I heard some talk that only the lower mountain will be open for opening weekend. Can anybody confirm? And if it is true, is everybody still down.... lower mountain alone may not be worth it??????

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
the only legal trails there are fireroads.
Falline and 1EO1 are legal and on their trail map. 1EO1 is mellow and flowy, I rode it for the first time recently and it was pretty fun but was a decent fireroad pedal to get there. Falline is pretty consistent with most of the illegal trails on the mountain.

rwilder, what does 'intermediate' mean to you? For instance have you ever ridden Mammoth and if so which trails did you like?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yo..Mammoth crew....

I heard some talk that only the lower mountain will be open for opening weekend. Can anybody confirm? And if it is true, is everybody still down.... lower mountain alone may not be worth it??????
for lower mountain only, i'd be out fo so. confirm please.

rwilder

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Intermediate .... er uh ... well not a beginner, I'm learning how to get air at places like the Whoops. I've bombed down some faces off the trail on Dirt Mulholland. I liked El Prieto trail single track. I guess I'm looking for fun DH that won't kill me with major hucks. Scenic peddling on fire roads for hours is not what I call fun. Mammoth? Not yet. But I will go this summer. And Tahoe too. And Woodward park in Fresno is also on th list.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Hmm...I'd still be down. BUT, I'd also be down for driving an extra 4 hrs and making it a N* weekend also. Last I heard, the whole mountain opened up last weekend.

With the upper mountain being closed at Mammoth, what really would we be missing really? Upper Velocity? Shock Treatment? I dont remember anything significant from my last trip that would be a deal breaker.

Also, I may be able to borrow a Tundra to and take up 4 others and 5 bikes. It may be a bit cramped with 5 full grown men, but would be much easier on the wallet for gas.

Last edited:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Intermediate .... er uh ... well not a beginner, I'm learning how to get air at places like the Whoops. I've bombed down some faces off the trail on Dirt Mulholland. I liked El Prieto trail single track. I guess I'm looking for fun DH that won't kill me with major hucks. Scenic peddling on fire roads for hours is not what I call fun. Mammoth? Not yet. But I will go this summer. And Tahoe too. And Woodward park in Fresno is also on th list.
I bet you'll be fine on Falline. Its just loose. Bring some good knobby tires and goggles or sunglasses to block the dust.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Yo..Mammoth crew....

I just called Mammoth. They arent' sure if the upper mountain will be open. The woman said all the snow needs to be gone for them to open it all up.

Like Randy said we'll only miss Shock Treatment and Skids Marks. Both are fun but not having those isn't a deal breaker.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
dude, if the top is closed we miss
off the top - mellow, but scenic
kamikaze - meh on the upper part, but it does get you to shock treatment
skid marks - even if you don't like it, it is the best way to get to velocity, and bridge the gap, which gets you over to bullet and/or follow me. you canget to bullet from the lower lift, but it is a hike-a-bike.

it is also a bit of a hike from the lower mountian lift stop on Brake through to get to DC10. Brake Through will get you to Flow and pipepline.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You sissies. There is nothing that you really miss with the top of the mountain closed. It just means that you have to pedal across from McCoy. It's not that big of a deal since it is only two days. You can pedal across breakthrough to bullet and pretty much everything else on that side of the mountain and you can hit gravy train if you really want to get over to shock treatment.

Plus there is always Velocity...

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
You sissies. There is nothing that you really miss with the top of the mountain closed. It just means that you have to pedal across from McCoy. It's not that big of a deal since it is only two days. You can pedal across breakthrough to bullet and pretty much everything else on that side of the mountain and you can hit gravy train if you really want to get over to shock treatment.

Plus there is always Velocity...

I like the way you think.

Last year OTE pedaled his 78 pound lead sled all over the lower mountain with no water. No reason why we can't do it with water and 40 pound bikes and ample hydration.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Half the time when I am up at Mammoth I don't ride the top of the mountain anyway. There really is nothing up there besides a gravity route to the fun crap. Skid marks is lame, Kamikaze is a long ride just to be able to get to shock treatment, which I'm not a huge fan of anyway. The only park I really like is the flowy part right after with all the kickers that spits you into the x zone.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
So what are we all deciding? Mammoth or drive a bit extra to N*. How sick would it be to hit Livewire and Boondocks all day!

I'd be willing to split the cancellation fees for our Mammoth condo and do the Tahoe thing.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I say we do Mammoth and set up another trip for N*. I just looked up the cancellation policy:

Cancellation Policy:
Should you wish to cancel this reservation, notice of cancellation must be in writing and received more than 30 days prior to your check in date for a full refund. If cancellation notice is not given within 30 days, Renter forfeits entire rental refund, except your security deposit and cleaning fee, unless the condo can be re-rented. If condo is re-rented, Renter will be refunded entire amount of rent and security deposit less a 15% cancellation fee. If Renter has to cancel, they may have the option to move to another open slot if available and pay the difference if any. No refunds will be made due to weather conditions or travel incidents.

So everyone would have to decide like now. It would be $50 to cancel if they can get it rented, or it would be $350 if they can't (the rental fee without cleaning).

Personally, I have been looking forward to hitting Mammoth and would be more than up to plan another trip to N* as I never made it up there last year. I would up to take a few vacation days and make a 4 or 5 day trip too.

Last edited:

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Mammoth it is b*tches!

Yo OTE and MD, let me know if one of you or both of ya wanna roll up with us. I may have scored a truck.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I'm still in but last year , I rode the $hit out of Skid marks to Bullit, Flow, Pipeline plus other offshoots......lets just go ride and have fun.

Northstar??? My bud just got back and said Livewire was off the chain!

Can we get a final recap on the accomodations???

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
Personally, I have been looking forward to hitting Mammoth and would be more than up to plan another trip to N* as I never made it up there last year. I would up to take a few vacation days and make a 4 or 5 day trip too.
That's what i'm talkin' about..
A little pedaling doesn't bother me at all. I could just do Velocity runs all day and be happy!
Off The Top is a good first warmup, other than that I only like lower Shock Treatment to X-zone on that side of the mountain.

Skid Marks is ok, but by no means a deal breaker.

Mammoth boiii :cheers:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm down to roll in a truck, even if it's a bit of a squeeze. If we leave mid morning we can just cruise up and stop a few times. It would actually work out better, my aunt and uncle are in town and want to borrow my car.

On a side note, there is a pizza/sandwich shop I plan on hitting at least once this weekend...the place is awesome, total local hangout, plus they have beer on tap.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
I'm down to roll in a truck, even if it's a bit of a squeeze. If we leave mid morning we can just cruise up and stop a few times. It would actually work out better, my aunt and uncle are in town and want to borrow my car.

On a side note, there is a pizza/sandwich shop I plan on hitting at least once this weekend...the place is awesome, total local hangout, plus they have beer on tap.
Are you talking about John's pizza works?
Cause that's a mandatory beer+pizza stop when we roll into town and check into the condo!!

How about hitting the Stove for pre-ride breakfast?? I dream of their fukin pancakes.. no joke!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Nik-N-Willie's Pizza‎
76 Old Mammoth Road
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546

This place is bomb, seriously one of the best sandwiches I have ever had.