Quantcast

XC Saddle?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
All right, I need to shave some weight, so I'm lokking for a new XC saddle with Ti rails. I know that saddle fit/comfort are really personal preference but I'd like to know what everyone is riding. Suggestions?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Greenfish has an older ti railed SSG saddle on sale for $30 I think!

Sierratradingpost.com has a ti railed Fizik Nisene saddle on sale for around $50.

Doug doesn't like his Nisene, but I have two (cromo railed however) and I like em.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
WTB rocket V stealth. You just can't beat it. Every time I sit on it, I'm like, OMG this is nice! Major upgrade from my Selle Italia carbon saddle(yeah, just carbon)

Aug 27, 2004
OH man! you gotta get the selle italia SLR ti saddle...although this seat looks uncomfortable it is a killer saddle! it just forms to your a** and you never notice it! and it averages on like 135 grams!
i will never ride another saddle again!
peace

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
ilikebikes444 said:
OH man! you gotta get the selle italia SLR ti saddle...although this seat looks uncomfortable it is a killer saddle! it just forms to your a** and you never notice it! and it averages on like 135 grams!
i will never ride another saddle again!
peace
:stupid: I second that. I have an SLR on both my roadie and XC bike.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i have a ti terry fly best saddle EVER! it's heavy but for endurance stuff its totally worth it.
now i have a super dupper light hard saddle i'll sell you for cheap, pm if interested (i've only used it once) could just need to be broke in i dont know didnt work for the 24 hour race i bought it for

selle san san marco aspide arrowhead ti 160g's i ship it to you for $45

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
I'm a huge fan of the SLR, except that mine broke within a couple months. I'd say it's better on the road bike. I like a Flite Gel Ti for the mtb. There are lighter ones out there, but none that have comfort and durability in the package too.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
the Inbred said:
i have a white Selle Italia Flite Gel with Ti rails that i'll let go for like $30.
How are the flite gels, comfy? I've been riding a trans am for a couple of years, but it seems all I can find these days are the gels.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
McGRP01 said:
Or at least a "love channel"!! ;)
I had the good fortune of having a doctor who bikes. I went in 2 years ago with some pain/tingling/numbness issues. He recommended the saddle and it fixed everything. :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
McGRP01, i'm having PM issues. keeps telling me i can't send for 60 seconds, even though it's been 6 minutes.

$30 shipped sounds good. i'm already on campus, but will get it out tomorrow.

thanks...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
the Inbred said:
McGRP01, i'm having PM issues. keeps telling me i can't send for 60 seconds, even though it's been 6 minutes.

$30 shipped sounds good. i'm already on campus, but will get it out tomorrow.

thanks...
Cool, thanks Dustin! Paypal will be sent tonight.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
McGRP01 said:
All right, I need to shave some weight, so I'm lokking for a new XC saddle with Ti rails. I know that saddle fit/comfort are really personal preference but I'd like to know what everyone is riding. Suggestions?
------
Specialized "Alias"143mm TI on my Singlespeed. Keeps your blood flowing.
but i guess you knew that already :rolleyes:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I 314524352542nd the WTB line of saddles. I have the rocket on both my Heckler and my road bike.

They are available with Ti rails.

Mad Dog

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've been riding Selle Italia Flites for years-the ti version is awesome. Anyone suffering from numbness issues should try rolling back their hips and sitting on their pelvic bones as they climb. I have found that this alleviates most numbness and that freaky feeling of peeing through a numb member

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I was in the same situation a while back, here's what I did. I contacted Performance bikes, the catalog bike shop, and they sent me about a dozen saddles. I rode ten miles on each one and picked the lightest/most comfortable one and sent the rest back which is what they told me to do. I tested the saddles on my road bike and returned them in the same condition I got them. They were very cool. Give them a call and see if they still do the same thing.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Your local shop should do the same thing. My shop lets people try them for 2 weeks as long as they bring back the receipt and packaging and its in good shape. I like the fly but its easy to tear in a crash. WTB ones stand up alittle better and have the same amount of padding and channel.

You can save yourself alot of cash by buying the Serfas version of the SLR which has the exact same shape and base, 1mm thicker padding, and hollow ti rails. The shell has the same amount of flex to it which is the big feature of these saddles.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone else looking for a light roadie-type saddle, check out the Performance Forte line. All the Selle Italia/San Marco type features and weight at $40-50 new. The drop-nose version is awesome for MTB, the even lighter split-style is great for road. (Nose is a bit threatening to the boys offroad, so I keep it on the pavement...)

MD

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I would avoid the road specific saddles like the SLR or Fizik Arione or Flite simply because their pointee noses snag shorts in the crotchal area way too easily. Better off road saddles have a more rounded or slopping nose to prevent that. If you ride in terrain where you don't need that feature, than a road saddle is fine. I live and ride in North Vancouver and those do not work for us.

My current saddle is a Fizik Gobi. My bum likes it. My bum hated the WTB saddles though. But as you say, saddle preference is personal.

J

JRB

BikeGeek said:
How are the flite gels, comfy? I've been riding a trans am for a couple of years, but it seems all I can find these days are the gels.
Get the Flite Ti. I am sure I can find one online for you still.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I see this question a lot. Here's the best thing to do. Most local shops will let you try a saddle if you don't trash it. Most shops don't carry a lot of saddles. The other option is mail order. WHen I needed a new saddle for my road bike I contacted Performance and they sent me ten saddles with the knowledge that I would send nine back. I rode each saddle for ten miles and tried the next one. They were very cool. Contact them and see if they'll do the same for you.

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
its my understanding the i-beam post is quite a bit heavier than many light posts, making the combo heavier.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Darkreaper said:
DId you try any other SDG saddles? I'm finding the Grand Prix very uncomfortable, the edges are too firm and dig in
yup..I've used SDG Satellite (Rail), I-Fly and I-Fly C.

I had a Grand Prix a long time ago (when I had my GT Zaskar LE) - was pretty nice.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
oldfart said:
I would avoid the road specific saddles like the Flite simply because their pointee noses snag shorts in the crotchal area way too easily.

Strange. Been riding the flites for 15 years and don't have any snagging problems.