Quantcast

XTR Trail brakes WOW!!!!!!

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I just got back from an escape to Bootleg for some much needed sun and warmth. I got a new bike, and a bunch of new goodies as well and I was just dying to get some riding in!!!

[/IMG]

Seeing as how I do more all mountain riding than DH and I’m big weight weenie I went for the new Shimano XTR Trail brakes. I have been scouring the net for info about them and there’s not much out there. I just about went for Formula R1’s since they’re crazy light and surprisingly powerful for an XC race brake. Lots of people are happy with them too.

The Trail brakes are bubbling with fancy features. “20% stronger than previous XTR without gaining a gram” Cooling fins attached to the brake pads. A new foolproof bleeding system to keep fade at bay. Lots of rotor options.

Aside from the striking looks of the brakes the first thing I noticed was the luxurious lever blade feel. Tall, rounded blades with high tech dimples for finger grip make them feel very natural. The lever reach adjuster looks like Saint or XT version that’s easy to reach and has a wide range. I set the lever so it sits really close to the grip for minimal hand fatigue. The Servo Wave feature allows for more clearance between the pads and the rotor. This is also a feature on Saint and XT brakes.

[/IMG]

The lever is freakishly short! If you aren’t looking at it there’s no difference in the feel but it makes you think that they couldn’t possibly be powerful! The short blade requires the lever clamp to be set close to the grip, and the shifter to go back to the other side of the clamp, like the old days. I put my Sram X9 clamp on the other side and moved the shifter on the clamp and it put the shift lever in the right spot, right at the edge of the grip.

Being how Shimano must answer to an army of lawyers the levers have a hinged perch but you can’t open them up without taking a pen and pushing a tiny button in a hole in the side of the clamp. Then they click open. I guess if the bolt falls out you can still kinda stop. You also can’t over tighten them. Crank down the bar to Carbon specs and they easily move on the bar. Brilliant.

Furthermore, Shimano has put it to most other brakes in the durability department. If you crash and tug on the lever blade it can’t explode the master cylinder. The blade it hits the perch, and it isn’t even attached to the pushrod. Freaking awesome.

I expected them to be great trail brakes and hoped they would be passable for extended DH runs with small rotors. I had planned on using larger rotors for real DH action. I’ve used XT brakes in the past and although they have great feel, the power is just average. Shortly after mounting them I was just pedaling in circles around the shop and they already felt quite powerful.
Here’s where it gets good…THESE BRAKES HAVE MEGA POWER!!!!!!!

[/IMG]
I was feeling extra weenieish and used Avid 160mm rotors since the Shimano 6 bolt rotors are 120g as opposed to 105, and more expensive. Plus with the post mount frame say goodbye to caliper adapters. it just looks good.I figured the small rotors wouldn’t be powerful enough anyway and they’d be tossed in the parts bin as a bad idea. Well, let me tell ya, these brakes have balls. They come stock with metal pads, and there is serious, front wheel skidding, make your headset creek power. I put in 9 runs at Bootleg on various DH courses and the brakes barely require a one finger tickle to control the bike. I thought there was no way they could possibly be this strong. I jumped on my buddies’ bike and he jumped on mine in the parking lot, his 2011 Codes with 203mm rotors didn’t feel like they had any more bite. He said the same thing. Then I jumped on a bike with Juicy 7’s with 203 rotors. Now those have bite- the harsh kind that’s just too much too soon.

[/IMG]

As I was drifting through the million arrowheads of Bootleg I had no problem controlling the drift, but occasionally I would grab the brakes and do a lil front wheel skid for a split second that made me back off a sec. They have a great feel when slippin and slidin. BUT THIS IS WITH 6” ROTORS PEOPLE!

OK, let’s set one thing straight here, I’m 130 lbs. My bike is really light. Boolteg requires brakes but it’s not like I’m fighting for my life on a 3000’ skid like some trails out there. But I didn’t feel any fade, no hand fatigue.

Shimano also offers organic pads or Resin as they call them as well that have less bite. I would think the typical XC dork would need these to keep from flipping over the bars with the seat at full height. If heat becomes a problem with small rotors then maybe larger rotors with resin pads would be the ticket.
That brings me to rotors, Shimano is all into 2 piece rotors with alloy carriers. This is partly because of Centerlock. They do have them for 6 bolt now too. This could help with cooling a lot too. I have a little RC car temp gun keychain that I plan to do some testing with. The only problem is, I currently have no plans to change rotors if I’m not having heat issues!!!

See you all in Bootleg at the Nevada State DH champs in February!!!

[/IMG]
Krispy

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I see you're running a SRAM shifter, but can the M988 lever share the same perch as your shifter? I've only seen this documented on the M985.

How would you describe the feel compared to other brands. They are on my short list but I've never been a fan of the older Shimano brakes I've ridden.
Codes are my benchmark.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
They make a shifter mount called I Spec i think, and from what i've heard the shifter ends up not really being in the ideal position oddly enough. Maybe since the brake lever blade is so short they somehow missed the proper location of the shifter.

I'l have to ride these brakes with larger rotors on some heavy ass wheels on a gnar DH course to know for sure how they compare to top performing DH brakes.

The Codes have killer smooth yet super powerful feel. The Shimanos feel a little bit more grabby to me so far. The XTR's feel a lot like Saint does, and most people find the Saints to be too grabby/powerful in general.

XTR does seem to surpass other lightweight brakes by a large margin in both power and feel.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Interesting review, Im in the market for new brakes on my DH bike, was thinking of getting Saints but I too think they are a bit too grabby.

Ive been on Elixir for a while ( and absolutely HATE them ) but I'd be curious to hear how the XTR stack up against the Saints or even the Elixirs . . .

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Same results here on my end. I've got a ton of time on the new XTR trail brake with both resin and metal pads and have been blown away by how good they work. Light as hell, tons of power, reliable. I have yet to bleed mine.. the jury is still out on that, but it sounds quite easy.

Two complaints: the bite point screw is a cheesy phillips number that literally does nothing. Also, price. But they are a make-no-apologies brake. I'd like to see Shimano give the consumer an XT option that is slightly heavier, but carries over the same great attributes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
pad radiators seem like a very good idea for our application...lots of heat and not enough brake fluid or caliper mass for it to go into...not enough pad surface area to release all that heat.

Not sure its needed on what is marketed as an xc/trail brake, but with those honkers on there, they should stand a decent chance.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
pad radiators seem like a very good idea for our application...lots of heat and not enough brake fluid or caliper mass for it to go into...not enough pad surface area to release all that heat.

Not sure its needed on what is marketed as an xc/trail brake, but with those honkers on there, they should stand a decent chance.
It's not an XC brake. Shimano's marketing term "trail" is code for 6" bike. ie, not DH, and not XC. There is a lighter, trimmed down version for the xc XTR

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I should have said in the first sentence These Brakes Rocz!!!! Then you all could look at the pics and get on with your day:D

Interesting review, Im in the market for new brakes on my DH bike, was thinking of getting Saints but I too think they are a bit too grabby.

Ive been on Elixir for a while ( and absolutely HATE them ) but I'd be curious to hear how the XTR stack up against the Saints or even the Elixirs . . .
If you're a big boy and/or a brake dragger then go Saint with resin pads and 180 rotors, then they aren't too grabby. You get more of a Code like feel with Shimano quality. Otherwise go XTR!

Elixers along with any other brake that can blow up the MC in a crash are garbage by modern standards.

Yeah, the phillips screw does nothing, i took it all the way out and can't see what it does, aside from marketing, i guess they thought they needed the contact adjustment to be like the other brake companies. Luckily with the Servo Wave feature there's more pad clearance at the rotor than any other brake and the lever throw is the proper amount to feel good at the finger tips.

I'm a mechanic so what drives me crazy is when an Elixer or, even worse a Code comes in with a blown MC. Fishing out the c clip, trying to figure out which parts kit fits, getting the worm gear all working again... I mean it's nice to have adjustments but Sram makes it pretty hectic to get them back together and working again. Let's not mention the 4 pistons, the air that gets trapped, they're just a maintenence nightmare.

But then again Shimano doesn't even sell MC parts or piston kits or the tools to service them, but in all the years in a DH shop i've never needed any parts. Lever blades get broken and you can replace those. Well, except when my Armegeddon tumbled down upper Ginger and the MC got blown out on my old old XT 4 piston brakes. I had to get a new lever. It was probably the 49 lbs that broke it though:rofl:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
It's not an XC brake. Shimano's marketing term "trail" is code for 6" bike. ie, not DH, and not XC. There is a lighter, trimmed down version for the xc XTR
With the completely new, not radial MC i wonder what new brakes will be coming out from Shimano in the future. I mean, the Saint group is still 9 speed and stuff!

I was reading on some strange forum in outer space (Weight Weenies on MTBR- great place for a laugh over lunch) that Shimano had two engineering groups develop brakes independently at the same time. Like some sort of japanese science fair. One group had an updated version of the XTR brake that resembled the last model with the radial MC. The other came up with what we see here, which was much more powerful and just as light. I dunno how much truth there is to that. They were joking that the losing group got to go off to design the next Deore group! Haha!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Same results here on my end. I've got a ton of time on the new XTR trail brake with both resin and metal pads and have been blown away by how good they work. Light as hell, tons of power, reliable. I have yet to bleed mine.. the jury is still out on that, but it sounds quite easy.

Two complaints: the bite point screw is a cheesy phillips number that literally does nothing. Also, price. But they are a make-no-apologies brake. I'd like to see Shimano give the consumer an XT option that is slightly heavier, but carries over the same great attributes.
I don't know if I really dig the new bleeding method. I am curious, however, to see if the ports will accept an Avid nipple(?). I've pretty much always hated bleeding Shimano brakes, simply because of that slim chance that the hose/syringe will pop off of the bleed nipple. rarely happens, but when it does, what a pain.

I also don't like that the barb is (at this point) proprietary. But, whatevs.

And the current XT is pretty damn close to this new XTR. Hell, for the past 2 or 3 years, I thought XT brakes outperformed XTR on every level, other than weight.

I think it is an XC brake...an XC brake with a **** ton of power. An XC brake that's got adjustments that prior XTR brakes didn't have. Same caliper, same ceramic pistons, same hi-flow hoses, and the Trail/ Race pads are interchangeable. I installed a set of the Race brakes with a rear 140 Stans rotor and holy ****. I thought broken-in Elixirs w/ a 160 rotor were too grabby. That Race + 140 Stan's rotor had some damn bite to it.

Shimano's new layered rotors interest me. I think they're 2 steel plates sandwiched around an alloy plate? Helps with heat? I don't really know much about metals, but does that seem weird to anyone else?

And lastly, from what I've been told multiple times, I-Spec is a Euro-only deal. Has anyone seen otherwise, or been able to source the I-Spec shifters from Shimano N/A?

XTR tech-clinic thursday. i guess i'll get my questions answered.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Dustin,
let us know what you learn about i-spec. I see in on the Shimano site, but not in the catalogs yet.
I have a brand new 9sp shifter and I need to get 2 of the 3 things on my bar to share a clamp.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A

Totally agree. Ive gone through 2 sets going on my third Elixer Brakes. Just want something powerful, reliable, and reasonably light.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Dustin,
let us know what you learn about i-spec. I see in on the Shimano site, but not in the catalogs yet.
I have a brand new 9sp shifter and I need to get 2 of the 3 things on my bar to share a clamp.
9sp shifter (SRAM, correct?)...

what brake? (assuming you're consider XTR...what are you running currently)

the other a lock-out lever? what shock (F/R, SRAM/CD Lefty/DT/etc)?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shimano's new layered rotors interest me. I think they're 2 steel plates sandwiched around an alloy plate? Helps with heat? I don't really know much about metals, but does that seem weird to anyone else?
Not really. Aluminum conducts heat better than stainless, so it makes sense for that reason. My one concern would be expansion though. Aluminum has a thermal expansion coefficient ~30% greater than that of stainless, i.e. fora given temperature increase, each dimension of a block of aluminum would increase in length by ~30% more than an equal sized block of stainless. This will induce some stress in the joint when the rotor gets hot, but it's such an obvious problem I'm sure they've got a work around. I'm too lazy and too drunk to run the numbers on how large the stress would actually be. It very well could be insignificant.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
9sp shifter (SRAM, correct?)...

what brake? (assuming you're consider XTR...what are you running currently)

the other a lock-out lever? what shock (F/R, SRAM/CD Lefty/DT/etc)?
Not to derail, but right now I have XTR shifters, Avid Juicy brakes and a Rockshox Reverb seatpost.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
It makes a lot of sense from a heat dissipation point of view. The potential issue I could see with it though, moreso than warping due to heat, is that the temperatures required to significantly affect the mechanical properties of aluminium are a lot lower than the temps required to significantly soften any kind of steel. 400C (which braking surfaces can reach) may have pretty serious effects on the strength of the aluminium, particularly under repeated load. I bet those rotors make clicking noises when they cool down too!

However - Shimano's engineers are usually well and truly on top of reliability, I'd be pretty surprised if they hadn't considered and addressed all of this somehow. It may be that the alloy-core rotors run THAT much cooler that the heat issues actually stop being a problem altogether.

Does anyone know for sure if the XTR rotors are the same thickness as standard Shimano/Avid/Hayes rotors? Ie are they compatible with Saint calipers? Cos I'd kill for those rotors with Saint brakes if they were going to make a difference to heat dissipation...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Cos I'd kill for those rotors with Saint brakes if they were going to make a difference to heat dissipation...
The only thing you kill with those rotors is yourself if you are using them. ;)
A german bike mag tested them and the brakes failed badly. The aluminum of the rotors melted and the pads also looked really bad. They only recommended them for lightweight riders and not too aggressive riding.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
i-Spec is the iSuck of bike parts, only piece I wish I did different, but if you like your shifter really close it could be fine. I went with them cause it is cleaner and I run a dropper post.

The phillips screw barely changes the feel but it's adjustment only does anything for about a half turn.

I have 180/160 rotors, might be a bad choice we shall see I guess.

I am not to happy about the XTR rotor is centerlock only, XTR wheels are to expensive, same with DT Swiss.

I like the write Krispy.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
If you're a big boy and/or a brake dragger then go Saint with resin pads and 180 rotors, then they aren't too grabby. You get more of a Code like feel with Shimano quality. Otherwise go XTR!
Im 150 and not a brake dragger...Sounds like these XTR brakes could be on my new DH bike !

Still would love t hear how they compare to Elixirs power-wise . . .

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Krispy,
What size gloves do you wear and how far in do you have your reach adjusted?
Thanks.
I wear a size small glove. I have the adjuster set so the lever is very close to the bar. It can go even closer though, i don't have it set as close as it can go.

If i squeeze the rear brake it feels spongy, i can make it touch the grip! But it never even comes close to happening because i just don't have to squeeze it hard AT ALL!

About the bleeding, and fittings, i could write a novel about em but i'll just hit the strong points...

You can use that standard bleed nipple that comes in the caliper, or use a large plastic threaded barb and hook the hose to that. The hose is much less likely to come off and you can turn the large plastic barb by hand instead of using a wrench. When you're done you can use a set screw-like Magura- or the bleed nipple to close it all off. It is sweet. The set screw is lighter and cleaner looking, and it won't collect dirt inside.

You also need this cup that threads into the lever- and it's not supplied- to catch the flluid coming out. That allows you to tilt the lever and see the bubbles, and gravity bleed it if you want to. You could just push fluid through and catch it in a bowl or something in a pinch too woth zero special tools.

[/IMG]
Bleed funnel complete with plug so you can plug it up and remove it from the bar without it spilling. Genious! Shimano part number- ESMDISCBP $5

Shimano has like 4-5 ways/steps they say to bleed them which seems totally unnecessary unless you are replacing the hose i guess. They say to push fluid from the bottom up like most brakes, then gravity bleed with the cup, then squeeze the lever and open the nipple which shoots fluid out-that should force out a stubborn bubble from the caliper- then tilt the lever 30 degrees up and down while pumping the lever to get any buggers out of the lever.

I did all of these things after shortening the line to be sure i got it all set but i only got air out of the lever which makes sense.

I have a feeling that since the resivoir is like a piggy back on top of the lever that even if there was air in the system it probably would stay up in the resi and not get into the MC.

Long story short, you can get all formula 1 on it's ass or go ghetto with nothing more than a syringe.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
awesome write up, I have always loved shimano products, your review has sold me on buying a set of the new XTR brakes. thanks

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Well, except when my Armegeddon tumbled down upper Ginger and the MC got blown out on my old old XT 4 piston brakes. I had to get a new lever. It was probably the 49 lbs that broke it though:rofl:
I'm using these 4-pot XT's on my 7point right now. How would you compare those to the XTR's?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I'm using these 4-pot XT's on my 7point right now. How would you compare those to the XTR's?
Moa-...

I used to use EBC red pads, or those limited availability Shimnao silver pads in th 4 pot brakes, then they had mad power. Always loved those brakes. They had more power than the newer XT 2pts did.

I'd say the XTR Trail has more power. Similar feel in the control dept, but a spongier feel when just squeezing the brake (not when riding). It's been 10 years though.

Last edited:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Krispy,
Have you used the new hope tech M4?
I have used shimano brakes for 10 years and never thought I would switch but the I think the tech M4 looks and feels great (in a shop). I have not ridden it though so I dont know if I should purchase.
I would buy another shimano break without worrying so its kind of between these two.