Quantcast

***Y u no Wednesday GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Both my folks worked in education (dad was a prof, mom worked for district) and we had summers off every year. It wasn't until I was about 8 that I figured out other kids didn't have summers off with their folks. We did month long vacations to southern California to hang with the grandparents. I thought everybody did stuff like that. :rofl:
my mom was a teacher (she went back to work when i was like 10 or something) but my dad worked year round. i saw both.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my mom was a teacher (she went back to work when i was like 10 or something) but my dad worked year round. i saw both.
Ha, mom went to work as a secretary for the head of the district when I was school age because he was a friend from church and the scheduled worked out well. He used to brag about being the only department head in California whos secretary held a PhD (from UNC in Math no less). Mom never wanted to teach and said she only got her PhD because dad was doing his in English. But she did it raising 5 kids while pops just went to work and school.

/coolstorybro

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ha, mom went to work as a secretary for the head of the district when I was school age because he was a friend from church and the scheduled worked out well. He used to brag about being the only department head in California whos secretary held a PhD (from UNC in Math no less). Mom never wanted to teach and said she only got her PhD because dad was doing his in English. But she did it raising 5 kids while pops just went to work and school.

/coolstorybro
wtf happened to you then?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
wtf happened to you then?
Considering what happened to my brother (career criminal and crack addict turned tattoo master), not a whole lot. :rofl:

I got a little bit of mom's math skillz and engineering ability as my dad was a smart man but not good with his hands. He could read a book about brain surgery then he could teach you how to do it, but you wouldn't want to put a tool in his hands for any reason.

<edit> I was post grad school and 6 years behind the hoard (I was the oops).

My brother is the least educated (high school drop out, CHSPE), yet one of the more successful overall. My baby sister with her $1.2M Manhattan COOP being DINK is best off for sure and has a PhD. But out of 6 kids, 4 graduated college, 2 with PhD's, 1 Masters, and my lonely Bachelors. Housewife and tattoo shop owner does not require further education apparently.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just finished the last of the mangosteens I picked up at my local vietnamese grocery store this weekend. Those fruit may well be the best fruit in the whole damn world.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Morning Monkeys.

So the drama continues. I went to take the damaged wheel off to clean it up and repaint/platidip and noticed something odd. One of these things is not like the other...

WTF, I know all my lug nuts matched when I dropped the bitch off. Seems the tire shop must have misplaced one when they balanced my wheels and forgot to mention it. So the damaged wheel has a mismatched lug nut and you think I might not notice? You are a tire shop, you have ONE JOB. So they will either find it or order me a new set.

Oh look, I got an email requesting feedback on my experience there. :rofl:

<edit> The wife has decided we are doing Seattle to Portland next year. This should be interesting since I have only seen her ride about 3 miles around the neighborhood. I need to either get a different bike or put some effort into the geometry of the CX. I haven't done 100+ mile ride in pretty much forever, but with a minimum 10mph pack pace and broken into 2 102ish days, it is doable. But I have a feeling I might end up with a tandem. :panic:
That is still your lug nut, those are a shitty two piece design. The crime cap just came off is all. Replace them all with a solid crime design.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Woke up early today to get some fishing in, was about an hour into it when my hip boot decided to give up the ghost. The boot and leg portion came clean apart while I was in the river, I still have wet feet.

On a better note, gonna finish cleaning the garage today then go out for a near twilight scouting hike. Good times

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That is still your lug nut, those are a shitty two piece design. The crime cap just came off is all. Replace them all with a solid crime design.
This one is a different size than the others (smaller). Or at least it used a different size socket when I took my wheel off.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
:wave:
Started today with a sewer backup in one building, a backflow alarm in another, and then a leaking sprinkler head. :flood:Looking forward to resting lots tomorrow.... I'm going under for the first time! And really, I've been scared of that for a long time, but things are so busy this summer I actually look at it as a welcome rest. Surgery smurgery, I need a NAP! :lazy2:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This one is a different size than the others (smaller). Or at least it used a different size socket when I took my wheel off.
As DM said, the chrome cap came off, so it now uses a smaller socket. The chrome cap is simply pressed/crimped over the actual lugnut itself, and as a result uses a slightly bigger socket (just enough for the added material thickness, essentially). It's why the fit of tire irons/sockets on lug nuts never feel as good as they fit on the head of a hex bolt.

Like he said, get some solid ones. The slightly heavier weight might help keep it from flipping as an added benefit.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As DM said, the chrome cap came off, so it now uses a smaller socket. The chrome cap is simply pressed/crimped over the actual lugnut itself, and as a result uses a slightly bigger socket (just enough for the added material thickness, essentially). It's why the fit of tire irons/sockets on lug nuts never feel as good as they fit on the head of a hex bolt.

Like he said, get some solid ones. The slightly heavier weight might help keep it from flipping as an added benefit.
Ok, y'all freaked me out so I went and looked. No, it isn't the same, it is actually slightly gold tint bare metal where as mine are cheap chrome. That being said, I ordered a set of one piece black to match my plastidip. :D

<edit> and mine are actually 2 piece and I had just never noticed. But I've only taken the wheels off once before when I did the brakes. I think it was larger? I don't know, it used a different socket though.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ok, y'all freaked me out so I went and looked. No, it isn't the same, it is actually slightly gold tint bare metal where as mine are cheap chrome. That being said, I ordered a set of one piece black to match my plastidip. :D

<edit> and mine are actually 2 piece and I had just never noticed. But I've only taken the wheels off once before when I did the brakes. I think it was larger? I don't know, it used a different socket though.

Don't skimp out on the Plastdip...

When I did my winter wheels (17"x7") on the Subaru, I was using one can per wheel. That was about 4 coats on the outside of the spokes and 3 or 4 lighter coats on the inside barrel portion. In the spring I decided I was going to take the plastidip off, as the dirt seems to embed in it and it started to look like shit (on the inside barrel portion of the wheel). Welp, those 3/4 light coats on the inside were a royal pain the asshole. Only the dip on the spokes and outside face that I sprayed heavily peeled off easily. Didn't bother with the other three...

On another note, wd-40 takes that stuff right off. :drag:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

They're different colors because they're different metals. The inner piece (the actual nut) is being covered by the chrome caps, so it will look however it will look. The chrome cap slides right over it, and is crimped in place where the conical seat/flats of the nut meet.

Still 99.9% sure that's your lug nut. Easiest way to tell is the shape of the conical seating surface. Those tend to be slightly different from one mfg/model to the next. If they look the same, it's yours.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I used just over one can per wheel and then a can of satin clear Krylon over the top. That was 10 months ago and other than a few dings, they have held up well. I sanded all the flaky chrome off the inside of the wheel and shot it with satin black Krylon. Just the outside of the wheel is plastidip, but the clear over top has made it stay put.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They're different colors because they're different metals. Still 99.9% sure that's your lug nut. Easiest way to tell is the shape of the conical seating surface. Those tend to be slightly different from one mfg/model to the next. If they look the same, it's yours.
The outside of the lug isn't chrome, all my other ones are. This one is bare metal, not sh!tty chrome. When my black ones get here, I'll pull it off and take a pic side by side. Its not the same.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The outside of the lug isn't chrome, all my other ones are. This one is bare metal, not sh!tty chrome.
THAT'S BECAUSE THE CAP SLIDES OVER IT.

On your "good" lug nut (right one in your pic), the cap is the round/dome-like piece at the end AND the chrome "nut" section.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
THAT'S BECAUSE THE CAP SLIDES OVER IT.

On your "good" lug nut (right one in your pic), the cap is the round/dome-like piece at the end AND the chrome "nut" section.
You be crazy, One is a chrome lug with a chrome cap ON THE END, the other is bare metal with nothing on the end. One is entirely covered in sh!tty chrome where as the other has no chrome on it at all. Again, when I pull them off and put them side by side you will see they are different. The bare one also seems to have a larger seat area against the wheel.

<edit> Mine look NOTHING like that picture.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You be crazy, One is a chrome lug with a chrome cap ON THE END, the other is bare metal with nothing on the end. One is entirely covered in sh!tty chrome where as the other has no chrome on it at all. Again, when I pull them off and put them side by side you will see they are different. The bare one also seems to have a larger seat area against the wheel.

they might just be flipped over.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

This is what I said to check, and really the best way to tell.

And yes, the "different" one has no chrome, because the chrome cap fell off, likely from using an impact gun. Therefore, you should see no chrome.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you boys sure are awfully concerned about the appearance of your nuts.

annual review complete. what a useless procedure. i will receive the maximum increase possible, which is something like a whopping 2 or 3%...

off to procure much bier

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Started today with a sewer backup in one building, a backflow alarm in another, and then a leaking sprinkler head. :flood:Looking forward to resting lots tomorrow.... I'm going under for the first time! And really, I've been scared of that for a long time, but things are so busy this summer I actually look at it as a welcome rest. Surgery smurgery, I need a NAP! :lazy2:
To avoid uncomfortable personal questions I will assume your surgery is in line with RM trends. From there it can be said that you are getting noo boobs or a vasectomy. Either way best of luck and heal up.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No worries, Centralia makes a convenient STP bail spot with train service to Portland...

Morning Monkeys.

So the drama continues. I went to take the damaged wheel off to clean it up and repaint/platidip and noticed something odd. One of these things is not like the other...

WTF, I know all my lug nuts matched when I dropped the bitch off. Seems the tire shop must have misplaced one when they balanced my wheels and forgot to mention it. So the damaged wheel has a mismatched lug nut and you think I might not notice? You are a tire shop, you have ONE JOB. So they will either find it or order me a new set.

Oh look, I got an email requesting feedback on my experience there. :rofl:

<edit> The wife has decided we are doing Seattle to Portland next year. This should be interesting since I have only seen her ride about 3 miles around the neighborhood. I need to either get a different bike or put some effort into the geometry of the CX. I haven't done 100+ mile ride in pretty much forever, but with a minimum 10mph pack pace and broken into 2 102ish days, it is doable. But I have a feeling I might end up with a tandem. :panic:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Last nights flooding was was pretty bad for the local trails, standing water in all the dips and turns, it will be a few days before that dries out, today was only in the low 70s so not much evaporation for the spots with no drainage, The trail was closed, its never been closed before, the rangers are concerned that you will slide off the trail and into the abyss. Meh, gonna have tacos anyway.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Epic ride in a rainstorm after months without rain. Soo predictable since I've replaced the drive train two days ago. All good but 100% humidity sucks donkey balls and makes my glasses unrideabru.