Quantcast

Yellow Jacket Removal:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
hahaha,

Our cat got stung the hell out of yesterday and had to go to the vet for a steroid shot and an allergy shot. There is an underground yellowjacket nest just at the base of the steps of our back door that we did not notice until yesterday when the cat got it good.

So this morning, I decided to take care of the problem. I know gas or diesel is the best, but I had none around, so I got a water bottle and filled it full of bleach and shot that down the hole.

This did nothing but piss the bees off, and they were after me.

After it settled down a bit, hahah, I just used DRANO :rofl: Those little bastards are tough.

I guess Im just going to keep trying different kitchen cleaning agents until the die.:rofl:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
yeahbut blowing it up and starting an underground fire really close to your house during the hottest dryest part of the year will be much more entertaining. post pictures.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I would just get some wasp killer instead of pouring every cleaning agent that is not designed to kill bees.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Furniture polish in a spray. It adheres and suffocates them.
What about an M80? ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I couldn't believe how fast those stupid wasps dropped when I hit 'em with a little WD40. It was like, insta-death.

Might have trouble getting that down the hole, though... A big container of paint thinner is cheap and produces a lot of fumes which might kill them. :think:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Surely they cant live through half a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid :rofl:

I just hope I dont get any fire causing chemical reactions.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
Surely they cant live through half a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid :rofl:

I just hope I dont get any fire causing chemical reactions.
Put some bleach and some ammonia down the hole, that'll get rid of the bastards ;)

edit: um, actually, I don't know all that's in drano, but you might want to make sure there was no ammonia in it before going near the hole again :dead:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
Those cans of Wasp Death purport to kill on contact as well as killing when bees "walk" through it. Might just try emptying a can of that down the hole.
There is NO POSSIBLE WAY I can sit there and spray an aerosol down the hole. It douse and run.:rofl:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
The bee and wasp killer I used to use killed those suckers within seconds. The only problem was making sure you hit them before they got pissed off and started chasing. Can you just fill up the hole with a shovel full of dirt and then pick them off as they emerge from the dirt? Maybe some aerosol and a lighter?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If you already did bleach might as well dump gas down there now.

That is explosive so don't, but funny advise.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
Woot! WD40 for teh WIN!
F'ing weird. What the hell is in that stuff that makes it so poisonous for bees, when dumping a quart of bleach on them doesn't work?

I think I'll use WD40 a little more sparingly from now on...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I bet it would be really crappy for me to be sitting here on my couch, and some giant nozzle breaks in through my window and starts gassing me w/ bleach and drano and lighter fluid and WD40.

Then again, I dont sting cats.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had to take out a nest last week. soak a rag in something flamable and light it near the hole. This will calme them down, burn some up and you'll avoid soaking the ground with gasoline. Then just take the water hose and drown everything in the hole. A little dish soap makes the drowning a little faster as it help the water get into their lungs or whatever they have.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Yeah, more chemicals. Are you on well water? Sorry to go green on ya but how about covering the hole with a few well packed shovels of dirt to suffocate the little bastards.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Bullitrider said:
Yeah, more chemicals. Are you on well water? Sorry to go green on ya but how about covering the hole with a few well packed shovels of dirt to suffocate the little bastards.
Well water? No. I live in a city and Im not putting much in the ground that doesnt normally go down a drain. Lighter fluid, WD, yeah, well, the bees must die. If I were about being green, I guess Id let them live. They'll dig out of the dirt.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
How fast can a redneck jump out out of bobcat?

I found out this answer last week, when the guy doing our final grading at our house, hit a huge yellow jacket nest.

The answer is super fast and bonus points for keeping his cowboy hat on.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeremy R said:
How fast can a redneck jump out out of bobcat?

I found out this answer last week, when the guy doing our final grading at our house, hit a huge yellow jacket nest.

The answer is super fast and bonus points for keeping his cowboy hat on.
Did the bobcat keep going and tear through the new house? That would be cool........... :rofl:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Did the bobcat keep going and tear through the new house? That would be cool........... :rofl:
No. More bonus points for stopping the bobcat before he got out.
But I would not be surprised if that happened.
Some dude just fell through our roof going through the sheetrock and knocking down a light fixture that was just installed.
Oh, the joys of building a house.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Jeremy R said:
No. More bonus points for stopping the bobcat before he got out.
But I would not be surprised if that happened.
My old man kicked up a rock on a riding mower years back that hit a large nest in a bush. He bailed off the still in-gear mower and it wandered off into the woods whilst he ran from the scene like a scared rabbit. :rofl:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
binary visions said:
Put some bleach and some ammonia down the hole, that'll get rid of the bastards ;)

edit: um, actually, I don't know all that's in drano, but you might want to make sure there was no ammonia in it before going near the hole again :dead:

what does mixing bleach and ammonia do??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Well water? No. I live in a city and Im not putting much in the ground that doesnt normally go down a drain. Lighter fluid, WD, yeah, well, the bees must die. If I were about being green, I guess Id let them live. They'll dig out of the dirt.
Dude, water hose. No chemicals and it has a longer reach than a spray can.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
My old man kicked up a rock on a riding mower years back that hit a large nest in a bush. He bailed off the still in-gear mower and it wandered off into the woods whilst he ran from the scene like a scared rabbit. :rofl:
Ha, I would have done the same thing.
When I was a kid, we use to climb this high fence to get onto Milliken's property because they had a sweet pond to fish.
Anyway, coming back home one day, I jumped off the fence, and one of my feet went down into a big hornet's nest. They went right at me. I have been stung by yellow jackets, wasps, bees etc..... but none of them compare to a hornet. Two of them got me on each side of my neck, and it felt more like I got hit with a baseball bat than a sting.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Jeremy R said:
Ha, I would have done the same thing.
When I was a kid, we use to climb this high fence to get onto Milliken's property because they had a sweet pond to fish.
Anyway, coming back home one day, I jumped off the fence, and one of my feet went down into a big hornet's nest. They went right at me. I have been stung by yellow jackets, wasps, bees etc..... but none of them compare to a hornet. Two of them got me on each side of my neck, and it felt more like I got hit with a baseball bat than a sting.
Was it one of these? These bahstids are evil incarnate.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I saw a red wasp dragging a grasshopper across the road while we regrouped on a road ride. It was cool.