Quantcast

YETI 303...Test RIDE

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
krustydude said:
I hope I'm not way off the ball here, but are there any pics of the 303 anywhere yet. I've seen the sketch on Yeti's website so I assume there aren't any factory released photos.
Well, there's no "factory released" photos but there's a ton of I.B. photos that show the rails and such.

danielbender

Monkey
Sep 21, 2004
Brazil
bizutch said:
are you in the US yet? still wanna ride some DH?

Sarcastic question or real one?

i leave brazil on march! I am gonna live in Orlando
yes, i would like ride DH in US, but too difficult in florida!!

Another one for yeti 303....

Yeti Frame with rain protection $ 3200
Yeti 303 Frame without rain protection $ 2900

I had a DH-9 and it is a fast bike!! I like very much Yeti products, but this 303 is too much for me!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
You know i always find it amazing that people bag on stuff saying it's not going to work, when they have never been on one. It's even more amazing when they bag it and they've never even seen one in person or even some detailed pics.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Zutroy said:
You know i always find it amazing that people bag on stuff saying it's not going to work, when they have never been on one. It's even more amazing when they bag it and they've never even seen one in person or even some detailed pics.
E-speculation fuels the Ridemonkey ramjet. But I hear ya.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Zutroy said:
christ, another ninny. No ones been bagging on it, but people are concerned about the long term durability of the system.

You see, some people are smart, and when they hear that the suspension runs on rails, their smartness kicks in and says "gosh, i hope that they have a 100% effective seal system on what so far have been shown in pics to be odd shapped non-circular rails". Now maybe not-so-smart people will never ask questions except maybe if it comes in Rootbeer and not have a single clue about the depth of the technical feat at hand. But the smarter people will be duly skeptical over the long-term issues.

Now just because YOU havent seen pics or drawings, why would you bag on people who are somewhat current and do have some information, hmmmm?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
danielbender said:
Sarcastic question or real one?

i leave brazil on march! I am gonna live in Orlando
yes, i would like ride DH in US, but too difficult in florida!!

Another one for yeti 303....

Yeti Frame with rain protection $ 3200
Yeti 303 Frame without rain protection $ 2900

I had a DH-9 and it is a fast bike!! I like very much Yeti products, but this 303 is too much for me!
I'm being serious. It's a pretty quick drive from O-town to here! We need to swap info and you can call me when you hit town. bizutch@hotmail.com Ben will probably have his 303 by then and you might can touch it..."oooooohhhhh" :eek:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
zedro said:
christ, another ninny. No ones been bagging on it, but people are concerned about the long term durability of the system.

You see, some people are smart, and when they hear that the suspension runs on rails, their smartness kicks in and says "gosh, i hope that they have a 100% effective seal system on what so far have been shown in pics to be odd shapped non-circular rails". Now maybe not-so-smart people will never ask questions except maybe if it comes in Rootbeer and not have a single clue about the depth of the technical feat at hand. But the smarter people will be duly skeptical over the long-term issues.

Now just because YOU havent seen pics or drawings, why would you bag on people who are somewhat current and do have some information, hmmmm?

There is nothing wrong with wondering about the durabilty of the system, but several people not including yourself have just said it won't work, which is baseless, considering most people have current info about what it will be speced with and how it will be sealed.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Zutroy said:
There is nothing wrong with wondering about the durabilty of the system, but several people not including yourself have just said it won't work, which is baseless, considering most people have current info about what it will be speced with and how it will be sealed.
find me quote to back that up. I call BS, no one outright said that.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Zutroy said:
Gross exageration: If you saw a bicycle with square wheels, could you tell something about the ride without throwing a leg over it?

Nobody is saying it's not going to work, they're just wondering how it'll hold up in certain environments. Until someone with real world experience stands up and says, "mud will be handled as such;...", all we can do is e-speculate as to what the solution may be.

danielbender

Monkey
Sep 21, 2004
Brazil
bizutch said:
I'm being serious. It's a pretty quick drive from O-town to here! We need to swap info and you can call me when you hit town. bizutch@hotmail.com Ben will probably have his 303 by then and you might can touch it..."oooooohhhhh" :eek:

great

i add you in MSN, we can talk there

much better

but still in 303 history...

Zutroy....

zedro is right

we can talk...blablabla...

but WONDERING is the right word for 303.
durability too

i will love make a test drive in the new yeti!!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Incubus said:
Nobody is saying it's not going to work, they're just wondering how it'll hold up in certain environments. Until someone with real world experience stands up and says, "mud will be handled as such;...", all we can do is e-speculate as to what the solution may be.
and theres no doubt that the first buyers will be guinea pigs. Prototyping and testing is fine, but it can't account for time, shear number of bikes out there being used and variances in production. This goes for any bike really, but with unproven technology to boot....

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
danielbender said:
great

i add you in MSN, we can talk there

much better

but still in 303 history...

Zutroy....

zedro is right

we can talk...blablabla...

but WONDERING is the right word for 303.
durability too

i will love make a test drive in the new yeti!!

Actually I guess you were the one i was talking about. Quote from a couple pages back was

"my humble opinion!!

neopreme covers, bla bla bla!!

in 2006 yeti will come back with dh-9

this new 303 will not ride on MUD!!!"

If i was going to join the guessing game, my guess will be there will be more maintence on it tham most people like to do. It'll probably need to me maintained more like a fork or shock than a frame. But Zedro is right, anytime your one of the first people to get something your going to guinea pig it.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
stiksandstones said:
BTW, I dont know about any of you other cali folk...but I have had it with the rain-OVER IT! I want my dry, hot, desert back!
Makes you want to move to Seattle right!? HA!

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Duncan,

Good to hear from you. I myself have always looked up to you as a racer. I'm a semi out of Boulder CO that has raced for 2.5 seasons now. I've only heard about you, never spoken directly with you, but it seems you're one of the only remaining DH racers who takes his training very seriously.

From what I hear you spend time on the road, in the gym and on the oh so important DH rig.

Well, I'm not just ditching class to sit on a computer...time to go get burl in the gym.

Peace

....and Stik, just for the record watch for David Camp....yeah yeah, it sounds like I'm just tooting my own Colorado horn here but the DC has more talent than he'll admit and now that he's on a bike he's confident with in 05 look for him to move into and up the pro ranks extremly quickly....he's as focused as they come....

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
dude, when a guy is so pinner he has to have two seperate surgery in the off season give credit to where credit is due.

Wentz is another one...but everybody already knows he's a hard working pinner.

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
ahh, shiznit you crack me up. Anyways, you should come down and check out kendells shop it's pretty tight. Oh yeah, also we are having a party at my new house friday night.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
bizutch said:
just remember what Kirkcaldie told me the day my dumbass asked him if he was happy to be on an M-1 and off an RM9.
"I don't care what they give me, I just ride the FUKKE out of it!"

:rolleyes:

And he did just that! THE fastest rm9 i ever saw!

that bike was duke! i hade one for a few.

the 303 is a better bike than the rm9 :blah:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
duncan is a fer sure pinner, no matter how mad i was at him 2 years ago when he took me out in mtn x, but yea dont worry about the 303 guys. look at the dh9's track record. only like 3-4 of them have broken, two where by rennie (rear ends not front end) and then another was some crazy foreign hucker guy. The new frame looks sick and i bet will hold up. Blad to see they finally got the geometry right, we had been telling them for years to fix it but nooooo

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
As long as there's some sort of cover available for the rails I see no issue... just keep them greased and covered and they'll run smooth. If there's no cover available I'd definitely make one, neoprene seems like a good idea... or maybe just a plastic or rubber cover (like a shock boot or some soft rubber tube). Just some ideas on my part.

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
good luck Ducan. Update your site and fix your links. you have a 303 take some pics. looking forward to next season, see you at sea otter.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
stoney98 said:
64-66* HA, 23.5"TT for a large. 48.5" wheel base for a large w/ a dorado

It was too long and low for 95% of the courses made, including the world cups. the TT needed to be brought in about .5-.75", the HA needed to be steepened by 2* to a 66-68* (which is where most people ride).

When you have to COMPLETELY change a riding style just to turn a bike, that its a sign of something, ie the bike is too long and slack.
Thoose bikes steered like a locomotive.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
That's how Rennie likes it though, remember, he was the guy that was racing then the bike when developing it.

DW had to talk him out of making his SGS a 62 degree bike like he wanted. He LOVES bikes long and low, so if you are big like him, maybe the old DH-9 was perfect for you.

I just think you had to get used to it and probably ride one size too small.

If I end up riding a SGS DH from last year for this season I'm going to Rennie(ize) it by doing a shock mount mod. I love my bikes low and stable.

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
I am not sure that the DH9 was such a bad race platform. what do you say about Jared Graves? He is not a huge guy by any means.
If you have sean synopsis you know that he can sure turn that bike.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
stoney98 said:
I too am a fan of long and low, but having the option of even 65-67 would have been nice. I ran my HA as steep as possible, w/ the fork as low as possible, and it was still too slack. Maybe I'm different, but the geometry was so specific to rennie, that even the RPM guys complaind vocally. It was the ONLY short coming of the bike.
that's why they all ran the slider plus right? to steepen the head angle and sort of "shorten" it.