Quantcast

yeti 303

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
this bike dosn't seem to impress me much sure it looks cool and prolly is a great ride, but a 223 has a rearward axle path and is about 4 pounds lighter.
so saying its the best square edge ride is most likely bunk.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hey Fellas!
Krispy here. Rode the 303 at Keystoneon that sweet 10 minute 2500 vert racecourse.

1 It feels very solid,not flexy.It has the new stiffening link behind the seat tube area tying in the swingarm.This takes the twisting load of the rails and turns it into more of a sideload which the 'cars'on the rails can handle better.
2 The weight is down to about the same as the DH9. so that's around 12.5 lbs.
3 The geo is all around great.14.25-15bb adjustable at the upper car without messing up the rate. 45wb 17.5 cs etc.
4 The latest and final rail location offers 1.5"chainstay growth gradually then comes back at the last bit of travel to keep the chain at a reasonable length.It pedals VERY well at the sag point.1.5" seems like a lot but it grows steadily due to the rails.Imagine a VPP bike with the lower link that curves around the BB. On those bikes the growth is significant early in the travel causing a noticeable initial growth that you can feel while pedaling over bumps.The 303 is gradual enough that i couldn't feel any feedback at the pedals.I'm sensitive to this and it usually bugs me.The bike didn't have a long feeling in off drops but was a tad long in the corners.That's the price to pay for a bike that eats bumps so well.The Progression curve is also gradual and had a nice long feeling midstroke so it had a deep plush-but not too soft feel.
5 The cars have triple seals.The cool recirculating bearings are protected by 2 wiper seals and a plastic like wiper that scrapes the crud off.There will be grease ports on them to purge out any water that could be introduced by pressure washer types.
6 Jared Graves' bike is down to 41.5 lbs.
7 December roughly is when they will be ready to ship.The bike is mostly done but the rails are being finished.The grease ports are being added,and the current rails have holes in them to mount them,and dirt can collect in the heads of the bolts,they will be tapped and threaded so there won't be a visible hole.
8 Me? I think the rougher and faster the course the better the bike will work.For racing Nats where the course gets just ruined then the bike would be a dream.In the VPP ultra technology world this bike is the best.There are some single pivot bikes that are excellent and a lot of average ones.Light simple single pivots are still contenders but if you're the guy who's sweatin at the top of the course lookin at other peoples bikes and doubting yourself,this is your bike.
9 any questions?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
DH SB RIDER said:
why do all the pros think that the yeti is faster over the squere edged rockgardns......is it a good frame for dh trail riding and racing...how heavy is it
The suspention is meant to move backwards and then up so it will more easily 'glide' over rock-gardens instead of just running into the rocks.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the leprechaun pretty much closed this subject down. and seeing as how the trails around here are steep rocky and fast, somebody at go-ride will be getting a call from me if i can ever wear out this d.h.9.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
julian_dh said:
this bike dosn't seem to impress me much sure it looks cool and prolly is a great ride, but a 223 has a rearward axle path and is about 4 pounds lighter.
so saying its the best square edge ride is most likely bunk.
if you think using a generic term like "rearward axle path" makes two bikes the same, then you'll be very happy with just about any bike :blah:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Awesome write-up Krispy :thumb:
Can you share any other info about other bikes? Anything new? Are they going to do another run of 4x frames? Any changes on the ASX?
Gracias!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
leprechaun said:
comprehensive, relevant facts and well-informed opinions based in real riding experience on the actual bike
I demand you take your propaganda elsewhere. That kind of **** isn't tolerated 'round these parts.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Dogboy said:
Awesome write-up Krispy :thumb:
Can you share any other info about other bikes? Anything new? Are they going to do another run of 4x frames? Any changes on the ASX?
Gracias!
Dude! The 4x is back and like $1500.00 retail for the frame.Not as cool as the older spendier one but looks almost the same and will ride as well.They have a DJ kit that we'll slap on this for a $2500 or so complete bike.Burly enough for DJ or skatepark stuff.

Rode ASX 's with DHX Air shocks and Van36 160mm forks.Way fun.DHX Air feels a little wierd in the lot due to the swooping curve on the bike anff the air initial feel but felt GREAT on the trail.I had 200 psi in it and Scott had to run 260 though which will be a problem for heavier riders. The Van 36 was pretty nice.No lock down but for a 5.5 lb coil 160mm fork it was really nice going down.

The 06 40 on the 303's felt better,better bottoming control via a re done bottoming hydraulic cone deal.

Rode a Trail Tuned Float 130 (new Terra Logic) and thought i would hate it,they begged me to try it.Then it started pouring and for sure i thought i was gonna die! The fork was way stiff in the lot! it did not once lock up on me at the wrong time and has a 3-4 second delay for jumps,etc. Never been proven so wrong before. It got me down the DH course on a 575 in the pouring rain with frozen fingers and toes.Still hard to reccomend to this crowd but might get you 1 or 2 feet ahead out of the gate in a mtx race..??...

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The DHX air is an optin on the ASX but not really.Yeti wasn't sure and the dealer will have to ask in advance for it.No othe changes this year on it.

The 575 can get the carbon chainstay for a 5.8lb 5.75" bike! sick if you're not a thrasher.Stiffer too.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
leprechaun said:
but if you're the guy who's sweatin at the top of the course lookin at other peoples bikes and doubting yourself,this is your bike.
So, what you're really saying here is.... THIS IS THE GREATEST BIKE EVER! I knew it!

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
konabiker said:
Do you have any pics of your 303 built up, Krispy?
I don't have one,just rode one in a small set up for me for a day.
No pics,but it looked identical to the one on the site right down to the silver Diabolus stem.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Does it really have 19" long chainstays when its sagged? I knew it was long, but damn, thats long! That just doesn't sound right. Gotta be a typo.

dw

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dw said:
Does it really have 19" long chainstays when its sagged? I knew it was long, but damn, thats long! That just doesn't sound right. Gotta be a typo.

dw
that does seem extremely long!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
leprechaun said:
HImagine a VPP bike with the lower link that curves around the BB. On those bikes the growth is significant early in the travel causing a noticeable initial growth that you can feel while pedaling over bumps.
The top link and overall suspension geometry have just as much to do with chain growth as where the lower link is. As a matter of fact, there are infinite linkage layouts to achieve any one axle path. 4-bar, 5-bar, crank sliders, counter rotating, etc... it doesn't matter.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that rails are not links. If it helps you can just think of them as a very long links. The rails are pretty cool and different, that counts for something in my book, but be aware that the same axle path can be achieved with more conventional (shorter) link layouts also.

Just thought you should know.

Dave

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
dw said:
The top link and overall suspension geometry have just as much to do with chain growth as where the lower link is. As a matter of fact, there are infinite linkage layouts to achieve any one axle path. 4-bar, 5-bar, crank sliders, counter rotating, etc... it doesn't matter.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that rails are not links. If it helps you can just think of them as a very long links. The rails are pretty cool and different, that counts for something in my book, but be aware that the same axle path can be achieved with more conventional (shorter) link layouts also.

Just thought you should know.

Dave
I won't try to argue the point about rails being links or not, but in some ways the 303 does feel different than any other bike I have ridden. Yeti claims a lot of chain growth, but it doesn't pedal that way. It seems that with the lower pivot moving nearly perpendicular to the chain line the traditional chain tug is very minimal. The ASX has a lot of chain growth and you can feel it when pedaling. Yeti claims the 303 has the same total chain growth as the ASX, but it has very little feed back at the pedals.

My overall feeling was that the faster you ride the better 303 becomes. It felt a bit slow handling in the heavily rooted, flat, tight woods sections. However, the funny thing was that the ASX felt faster in those areas, but didn’t have nearly as much exit speed out of the woods. I new this because two of the woods exits have jumps and the 303 consistently jumped farther out of the woods than the faster feeling ASX.

I think the 303 will demo very well at Bootleg. Bootleg has a lot of very square edge hits on its DH trails. Every DH bike I’ve tested there (a lot of them) feel short on travel due to the square hits. My impression of the 303 is that it handles square hits exceedingly well.

I’m looking forward to more riding time and feed back from other riders.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
go-ride.com said:
I won't try to argue the point about rails being links or not, but in some ways the 303 does feel different than any other bike I have ridden. Yeti claims a lot of chain growth, but it doesn't pedal that way. It seems that with the lower pivot moving nearly perpendicular to the chain line the traditional chain tug is very minimal. The ASX has a lot of chain growth and you can feel it when pedaling. Yeti claims the 303 has the same total chain growth as the ASX, but it has very little feed back at the pedals.
Well, as dw said, the lower link/pivot whatever you want to call it is not what is important, it's the overall product of both pivots/rails. The lower pivot moving perpendicular to the chainline does not prevent chaingrowth at all.

I still can't wait to try out one of these things, they seem like a blast to ride! Did you guys try it out at the Yeti dealer day?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
go-ride.com said:
My overall feeling was that the faster you ride the better 303 becomes. It felt a bit slow handling in the heavily rooted, flat, tight woods sections.
that sounds familiar! *ahem* dh8/9 *ahem* :)

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
The 303 looks wide. Does it "feel" wide while riding? Is the split top tube still there and does it make your boys hide when you look down at it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
dw said:
The rails are pretty cool and different, that counts for something in my book, but be aware that the same axle path can be achieved with more conventional (shorter) link layouts also.

Dave
BUT . . . hmm, didn't get around to finishing that thought, did ya? :D

edit: . . . the same axle path can be achieved with more conventional (shorter) link layouts also, but nobody else has mapped the exact same wheelpath as this bike with a linkage system yet, which is half the point of the new design.

Right? :blah:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
DW
my curved lower link description was just an example to help most monkeys understand the idea.
I understand what you're saying,but like Scott here i haven't ridden a bike with this kind of chain growth/bump eating ability that doesn't have noticeable feedback.
I love the DW on paper but unfortunately i have not ridden a single one that actually feels good to me.It's not DW;s fault at all!! But none the less all the Horseys we have recieved have had shock/linkage issues that impede the performance.Sorry.Todd Bosch's felt pretty good with the new valving but i only rode it in the lot for 3 minutes.
I guess my point is,there are lots of cool VPP type bikes out there but the 303 simply worked.
Maybe i'll get to ride an 06 Sunday with an Avy or DHX and i can turn my words around!!!!!

3.2-the bike didn't feel wide,but i rubbed the inside of my leg on the top tube split area,but not a big deal that was a problem.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
leprechaun said:
But none the less all the Horseys we have recieved have had shock/linkage issues that impede the performance.Sorry.Todd Bosch's felt pretty good with the new valving but i only rode it in the lot for 3 minutes. I guess my point is,there are lots of cool VPP type bikes out there but the 303 simply worked.
Believe me man, the shock issues pained me more than anyone in the World. The shock tunes and hardware that showed up on some of the Sundays was unlike anything I had ever seen or tested before. I personally OK'd the production tunes, then got a production frame and the tune was nothing like the prototype that I had confirmed and had sitting right next to it. Night and day difference.

It was downright diappointing knowing the capablity of the bike and how well it had performed for over a year during testing. I mean, the race results speak for themselves, the string of World and National podiums spanned 2 years and something like 16 races. Just crazy. dw-link is about as far as you can get from a vpp bike anyways.

Luckily the shock probelms are no longer an issue, Progressive is shipping shocks that feel great and do what they have for 2 years, and now the DHX's are just feeling unreal on the bikes. I am looking forward to tuning a DHX equipped Sunday for you personally at on-dirt demo.

dw

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
James | Go-Ride said:
edit: . . . the same axle path can be achieved with more conventional (shorter) link layouts also, but nobody else has mapped the exact same wheelpath as this bike with a linkage system yet, which is half the point of the new design.

not to mention the alternative may not be mechanically sound or all that possible within the confines of the overall bike design. Even the DW-Link/Meastro etc seem to push the availability of space

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
James | Go-Ride said:
BUT . . . hmm, didn't get around to finishing that thought, did ya? :D

Like I said, there are infinite linkage layouts for any given point path. I will leave it at that. How many people know the actual path curvature anyways? I'd guess not many.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
zedro said:
not to mention the alternative may not be mechanically sound or all that possible within the confines of the overall bike design. Even the DW-Link/Meastro etc seem to push the availability of space

Not really, I don't think DW-link or Maestro are even as spatially cumbersome as FSR (note how few non-walking-bar FSR bikes have full-length seat tubes). There is a lot of freedom with bike designs.