Quantcast

Your picks: Best MTB town?

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
Those who love downhill and freeride, tell me what you like about your area (or tell me where you'd like to be instead).

I'm looking to move to an area that has tons of riding available and a decent scene because I just love this sport. Elevation change and nice scenery is a bonus... population doesn't matter too much, although I prefer a medium-size town or large enough to support special interests and culture.

A warmer climate is also a plus because I'm thin-framed and cold all the time, but I realize this is a trade-off to be near a mountainous area for DH.

I'm currently in Billings, MT and have just been here too long at this point, so I don't know - just hit me with some info.

Thanks everyone!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you're looking for a larger city in/adjacent to mountains and don't mind Mormons, SLC is nice. But it's too cold for me...I'm moving. To Santa Cruz, CA.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
Blue, I have to agree that Santa Cruz is lookin' good weather-wise to me too! This place must have some nice riding - I keep hearing things.

The 10-day forecast (degree-avg.)

Salt Lake City, UT: 43
Billings, MT: 37
Santa Cruz, CA: 66

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
hey man, i don't want to rain on your guys santa cruz parade it's a beautiful area i was up there last month, but the biggest factor is it's expensive as hell to live there .if you can afford it more power to you.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
heheh... c'mon - you know I'm broke. I'm a mountain biker! I will find a way to get wherever I need to go, however. Budget really isn't an issue. I just need to find the place.

Monkey
hey man, i don't want to rain on your guys santa cruz parade it's a beautiful area i was up there last month, but the biggest factor is it's expensive as hell to live there .if you can afford it more power to you.
I grew up in Santa Cruz, don't think I can afford to live here unless I want to live in my parent's house:shocked:

the medium house price here is like 700k

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
have you considerd az ? it's a nice place to live , affordable and the job market seems to be good . i don't know what the riding is like but there has to be good out there. i go there about once a year and i was considering it also as a place to move to . just another area to consider.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Tahoe/Truckee Great Place only an hour away from auburn.
yeah that would be a great place to live, but i don't think the job market is that good do to there's nothing around those areas [it's in the friggin moutains] or the housing market is afforbable. come on man, stick to the plan help a brother out find him a nice place to live.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Truckee is cheap. The market is great. Check out craigslist. You can find cheap housing near Northstar.

Northstar employs a **** load of people.

I love to board. Go snow shoeing, snow camping, lake fishing.

Summer there is a tun of xc and dh. As well as hiking backpacking water sports.

It's awesome.

What do you mean there is nothing to do? There is hell of a lot more to do for free in that area than anywhere else I know of.

DHmike, you're on crack.

EDIT: Reno is like 30 min away. Sac is a little over an hour and a half.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Elevation change and nice scenery is a bonus... population doesn't matter too much, although I prefer a medium-size town or large enough to support special interests and culture.

A warmer climate is also a plus because I'm thin-framed and cold all the time, but I realize this is a trade-off to be near a mountainous area for DH.

Boom Tahoe/Truckee. It's cold, but Auburn is nearby and warm.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Truckee is cheap. The market is great. Check out craigslist. You can find cheap housing near Northstar.

Northstar employs a **** load of people.

I love to board. Go snow shoeing, snow camping, lake fishing.

Summer there is a tun of xc and dh. As well as hiking backpacking water sports.

It's awesome.

What do you mean there is nothing to do? There is hell of a lot more to do for free in that area than anywhere else I know of.

DHmike, you're on crack.

EDIT: Reno is like 30 min away. Sac is a little over an hour and a half.
Ski towns are great if you don't mind making **** for ducets or going to school. You're delusional if you think there's a "job market" in Truckee...I'm sure it's a great town to fvck around in, though.

SC is nice. I don't think there is such a plethora of riding there, but the lack of a winter is a big plus for me, as well as a lack of Momos. I will miss god-slaying skiing (and mtbing) 30 minutes away, though.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Ski towns are great if you don't mind making **** for ducets or going to school. You're delusional if you think there's a "job market" in Truckee...I'm sure it's a great town to fvck around in, though.
Ok, whatever you say. Take a look at craigslist before you listen to this fvck.

I have been looking to move to Truckee for quite a while. There are plenty of options available. The housing market is great & more and more jobs are opening up. From Legal to hairstylists. Due to the amount of people moving in and around Tahoe/Truckee the service industry is steadily rising. take my word for it, look at craigslist.

Seeing as Blue lives in Utah take his opinion with more than a grain of salt.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

I have been looking to move to Truckee for quite a while. There are plenty of options available. The housing market is great & more and more jobs are opening up. From Legal to hairstylists. Due to the amount of people moving in and around Tahoe/Truckee the service industry is steadily rising. take my word for it, look at craigslist.

Sweet, a life flipping burgers and doing hair. Awesome.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
1. Blue is right. Unless you can make a living teaching others how to ride/board/ski, you're SOL. I've lived there, many times, and am on my way back. Walnut Creek gives you no idea of roughly what in the fVck you're talking about.

2. My vote is for Asheville, NC. Its the poo, real jobs can be had, and there are all sorts of places to R&D micro-brews there.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
Worst weather and worst bugs on earth. Will never return.

But holy crap, the views.

Vancouver has bad weather, but Victoria is mostly nice, atleast every time I've been there. I never noticed the bugs.

Honestly, I love living in BC.

Kamloops is another contender, but you can just add the whole interior of BC.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
To those who have mentioned Canada: how can I, as an American citizen currently, survive/work in Canada? Is there some kind of program, card, or certification I can get to legally get paid during the years before citizenship application?

I have thought before about Canada, but the work thing I am unsure of and I'm not sure what I would do for the months of cold weather... maybe I'd be better off staying in Bozeman, MT for that. The scene in BC has always seemed to be big, though... maybe the biggest.

Keep em' coming! And keep the emphasis on where the riding is best with a bias towards a longer ridable season. I have thought about Washington for this indeed, but Seattle is so wet and cloudy, right? (also seems highly pretentious & jaded culturally and very difficult to get employed)

I'll have to look into Nevada as all the California destinations are going to be very expensive unless I can get a room-mate and rent until the next big stock market/housing crash.

Thanks...

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
I've liked North Carolina in general upon visits there years ago as well, but I can't remember how the mountains would lend themselves to DH. I must say, I'm impressed with the Rockies, but freezing my butt off half the year.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

Right, I lived in PC for a year and stayed in Aspen for 3 weeks, but wtf do I know? Ski towns are all very similar...at least in PC you can live for less than what it costs there and commute up the canyon from SLC. Seriously, dumb****. Truckee is NOT the place to be for any length of time if you intend on having a future. If you want to smoke bowls and board all day long as a liftie, well...A town of sub-50k people just can't support much, as much as our soon-to-be-banned friend here would like to say otherwise.

In any case...Canuckistan has been appealing to me, but for citizenship beyond residency (all it takes is money for that), it looks like you need some sort of degree or significant professional experience/skillset. I'm still a lowly college student and the only way I'd get in is on an international studies program of some sort. :(

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
You are all wrong I'm afraid.

Morzine.

26 chairlifts open in the summer with many, many DH tracks.

However, this doesn't really answer his real question regarding where to live. I'm just happy to be here. :wave:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'm quite happy here in the Capital Region of NY.

1. Low cost of living.
2. Amazing acces to DH mountains, all 45 min to 2 hrs distance: Jiminy Peak, Plattekill, Mt. Snow, Whiteface, Hunter, Windham (soon). Others over 2 hrs: Diablo, Sugarbush, Highland, Attitash plus Mt. St Anne, Bromont, etc.
3. As it's the capitol, there are always a vast array of state jobs, which are rarely affected by economic downturns.
4. Great trail riding/mountain access in every direction, especially SMBA in Saratoga. 45 minutes to the Adirondacks, 30 minutes to the Catskills, 40 minutes to the Berkshires in MA, an hour to to the Green Mtns in VT. Then you have the Helderberg Escarpment, nice mountain 15 minutes away and the Rensselaer Plateau, 20 minutes away.

It's a happy medium of sorts, not a big city with a lot of "shiny 20 something" things to do, but outdoor access is awesome. Of course there is winter to deal with, but it's not as bad as years past (thank you, Global Warming!). And if you ski/board, there are even more options than what's listed above close by.