Quantcast

Your worst injury

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
mine was a broken leg, i broke both bones in my lower leg, and had 2 and a half mounths in a cast, and another month after that of no biking. i did this 6 ft side hop..(damn you trials) and the back wheel got hung up. not to bad, but please share yours and the story.... and dare i say pictures

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Well, I broke my collarbone... to make the story short, my doctor is an idiot and told me, "oh, you're young, you'll heal fast. You'll be good to go in two months." Well, after waiting two horrible months of not being on my bike, I went riding again. Well, turns out, I wasn't "good to go," broke my collarbone again... Went to a new doctor who told me I should wait about 4 months before I'm fully healed. I'm healed now, but even so, I was off of my bike for six freaking months because of a dumb@ss doctor. I wish he had cancer :D :mumble:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Sombody just asked me this earlier today...

Broke it at Snow Summit in June of '04. Some very nice people helped me out.

Last edited:

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Torn ACL trying to click my heels together in mid-air. Which I really could do....but alas, no one will believe me now...

I have a new ACL now. However I'm undecided if I want to reach the upper echelon of heel clickery again

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
October 9. 2004 -- Hit a tree trying to go hard right down a chute at Plattekill in NY, tapped the brake as I tried to turn and prevent it and went over the handlebars... Ended up with a spiral fracture of my left femur. I was flown in a helicopter to Cooperstown Medical Center and given emergency to repair the femur, followed by a five day stay in the hospital. I have a titanium rod in my leg, along with three screws. I had a blood clot 10 days post -op and had almost 2 weeks of lovinox injections in my stomach, which were not that fun at all. I have begun to get back on my bike, 20 min or so, every day, but only on the trainer and if I feel good -- on flat pavement. I hope to be able to race by September, but only cross country for now...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
broke my arm playing football in 8th grade. 3rd "dustin" is 2 months to break his arm. 5th person within that time period to break an arm. rather odd time period. my friend Cy fell from a tree and broke both arms. had casts up to his biceps. made it interesting for him to take a ****.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I ruptured my kidney crashing into a ravine. Peeing red gore was my first hint that I was in big trouble :(

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Not quite a serious injury....Leading a xc race, front wheel washed out in tight singletrack. My head slammed a tree and when I came to, the right side of my face was numb, so was my shoulder, arm, and hand. I have crashed pretty hard before such as not being able to walk all that great for a couple of days, to being bruised from my shoulder to my knee on the right side of my body, but when I felt the right side of my body numb, or lack of feeling, I thought I was in deep s#@t. Feeling came back pretty quickly though so I got back on my bike and finished the race.

Helmet was trashed............

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003

here we go again: broke both bones in my forearm and one wrist bone. compound fracture and severe dislocation of hand/wrist/thumb. rebuilt my ulnar stylus (the little knot on the outside of your wrist)with synthetic bone, re-attached tendons/ligaments 4 bolts, one metal plate, 2 threaded pins, 2 standard pins (they are circled in red in one of the pics stickin out of my arm)3 casts, 2 braces, therapy, $20,000.00. no riding for about 5 months and i will never regain more than 50% of the movement in my hand in any direction.

all hardware except the 2 standard pins are still in place.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Craw said:
Torn ACL trying to click my heels together in mid-air. Which I really could do....but alas, no one will believe me now...

I have a new ACL now. However I'm undecided if I want to reach the upper echelon of heel clickery again
Heelclicker on a bike or just on the ground?

Don't worry if it was on the ground, I had a good friend do the same.

I tore through my ACL at Durango during the 2003 Norba National DH race. Came into a berm too fast, ditched the bike over the berm, 15 feet down the hill and I hear a *POP*.....spent a few minutes down there making sure I was alive and got back on the bike. Thought I had dislocated my knee and spent the rest of the day trying to "pop" it back into place....:nope: Nine months of recovery and then I was back and better than when I had left(somehow). I actually look at the injury as a good thing.

Worst injury I've heard of is my good friend Alex. Broke his neck dirtjumping, confined to a wheelchair for the forseeable future......damn sad.

The Ito

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
ito said:
Worst injury I've heard of is my good friend Alex. Broke his neck dirtjumping, confined to a wheelchair for the forseeable future......damn sad.

The Ito
Alex, the redheaded kid w/ freckles?
I hope it isn't the same kid :dead: Terrible in any case.

MrDirt

Chimp
Oct 21, 2004
Eden, UT
I just severed the FPL tendon in my thumb, just had to have surgery, now I have 3 months of recovery with no riding, and a long road of building things back up after that. Goodbye summer.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
rubbber marks on my right shoulder from a MX race. Went down on the blind side of a jump and was landed on. Stitches on my chin and the right side of my face(not sure how that happened) Broke my $600.00 Arai helmet and made for a bada$$ story to pic up chicks with. no broken bones.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I have never broken anything. :D

One time my finger nail got pulled off completely in one swipe... that hurt allot.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
I have never broken anything. :D

One time my finger nail got pulled off completely in one swipe... that hurt allot.
Ouch. Losing a nail hurts. The leg break was the first time I ever broke a bone. Man, that hurt! Not as bad as Biggins' wrist or Skookum's scraped knee, though.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Broken Neck (trampoline too ;) ) - when my diving coach was trying to get me over my fear of reverse dives. Spent 8 months in PT - they insisted it was a bruise...two years later they did some more xrays, different doctor this time...definitely a squished broken neck...

All other injuries I've had pale to this one...the fear of not being able to touch my toes again, move my neck, or body properly is the scariest feeling in the world...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I’ve separated my shoulder, broken a few ribs, broken a few toes but the worst is I fractured my pelvis in 2003 but that was nothing like what some of these guys have been through. The ER doc was like ‘well it’s for sure fractured but not broke all they way through. Here’s some drugs, check in with your doc on Monday and stay off the bike.” I waited 3 days then got on the trainer for 15 minutes and only pedaled with the one leg and worked up from there. I attempted a 24 hour solo a little over 2 months later. I bagged about 6 hours in but it wasn’t all that bad. The drugs were cool. I miss the drugs.
Ohhh I also sliced my knee open a bunch of times I have arthritis in it now.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
3 broken medatarsals in my foot is the worst I've had. Took way to long to get back on the bike after that one.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I broke my collarbone by casing front-wheel first on a mushy virgin landing. I flipped over the bars and landed on my shoulder, breaking it clean in two with an extra piece or two laying around. It healed crooked, as most do, but mine is still sticking out a lot. I got the X-rays though. :)

My friend crashed on his 1st practice run at Mammoth 2004 and shattered the tip of his finger. I went down ahead of him and then did a few more runs and finally found him waiting at the finish line. Apparently the bone was in many pieces and the tip of his finger was half amputated by the crash. It was gnarly.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Broke my sternum in a bmx race back in '97. I've also torn both ACL's and have cartillage damage in both knees. They hurt EVERY day.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Cracked my head about 13 times from riding BMX and other stuff, Dislocated thumb about 20 times back when I used to go dry-slope skiing, blinded in one eye for a couple of weeks (scary), smashed all my front teeth out twice, pushed my lower front teeth through my lower lip, split my shin open to the bone about 3 inches long and 2 wide crashing into a dead tree, some pretty serious grazes from sliding out at high speed - Never broke a bone though. A doc once told me I have slightly springier bones than normal. Plus I used to do Gym so I'm pretty flexy. Oh I took a bmx peg behind the ear from learning 360°s on a stepdown. Couldn't hear for a bit.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Broke my Tib/Fib skiing in 9th grade
Broke my thumb/tore ligament and tendon in 1998, needed surgery
Tore my ACL in 1999 skiing, same season as my thumb. Also tore meniscus. Added a 2nd meniscal tear in 2003 riding, then I had surgery to get it all fixed.
Broke a toe (big one) pretty bad somewhere in there too.
And a bunch of other random stuff.

But being there when K broke her femur was by far the worst.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gave myself a concussion at mammoth in 2000 to the point that i had speech arrest for about 30 seconds. THAT was freaky.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
:eek: Broken Ankle, No walking for six months :dead: All hardware is still there except the longest screw. The extra weight gives me more pedaling force!!!!

Attachments

DaKahuna

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lake Elsinore, CA
Well, I've been away from the monkey for a while because I haven't been able to ride much for a while due to my injury, and it was discouraging to read all that has gone on at Big Bear this year. After being injured it looks like I can't do much DH, even if I wanted to. It took until I was 34 years old to break my first bone, but I saved up and did it right! :rolleyes: Here is the chronicle of a nasty broken femur....

Last November I had just come back from the Red Bull Rampage (3rd year going) where I had a blast riding the course the day after the comp. Coming home all Red-Bulled-up, I decided to build a road-gap near my house which ended up being about a 15ft drop and a 30ft gap to a nice steep runout.
First attempt with g-friend (Tiffany) video taping, I came up short. A last second hesitation/brake check killed me. Tried to bail over the bars, hoping at least my body could make it over the edge of the road, and caught my foot on the bars. My knee was the first thing to hit the (flat) ground. Next was my head. I then did a very slow, unconscious, rag-doll down the hill as Tiffany ran from the hill across the way. As I lay out cold in the bottom of the ravine, Tiffany called to a crew working nearby with a front-loader, doing some grading work for a local MX race to be held in the area, and asked for help getting me out to a place where she could bring her truck. Thankfully she kept her wits about her despite my obviously serious condition. She did an excellent job considering everything that happened.

I first woke up as they were loading me into the bucket of the tractor and saw my femur sticking out of my leg just above my knee, out over the top of my kneepad. :dead: Boom!! I was back out! Actually it was probably a good thing because the pain was excruciating when I woke up several times to yell "CAN'T YOU DRIVE ANY SLOWER!" It was terrible riding in the bucket of the tractor, no suspension, hanging out there in front, driving over uneven, bumpy ground. But I was out most of the time.
For some strange reason, I woke up in the back of Tiffany's truck on the way to the hospital, asked for a cell phone to borrow, and somehow :confused: recalled my aunt's phone number in Salt Lake City that I call once or twice a year, and told her to call my parents and let them know I wasn't going to make my flight to go visit them the next day. :confused: :confused: I was going to be travelling the next day, but why not call my parents directly, and how'd I remember my aunt's number? Then I went unconscious again!

At the first hospital, all they did was put things back in the right general area and put an external fixator on it. That's the first pic. That night, a friend came by after going to check out my crash site, and he brought with him a 3" x 1.5" chunk of bone that I had broken off my femur and left embedded in the ground. He said only about a half inch of the 3" was visible above the ground, the rest was stuck down into the hardpack fireroad! :eek: :eek: You can see the missing bone in the xrays.

The next day they transferred me to another hospital with good surgeons who ended up putting the huge titanium plate and a bunch of screws into my leg in pic #2. It turned out that I also split my knee in half, well just fractured it, not split it in 2, hence the long screws through my knee in the second picture. They also placed "antibiotic beads" in there to prevent infection. That's what looks like a wad of gauze in the xray.

All said and done I had 4 surgeries with a lot of bone grafting and spent 9 days in the hospital so they could pump me full of antibiotics, since they were worried about a bone infection. Then it was 3 months on crutches, and a slow road of recovery since then. I also called a taxidermist and asked how to preserve a chunk of fresh bone, and he asked "what kind of bone?" To which I replied "my own!" He wanted to hear the story then told me to boil and bleach it. The smell of the marrow (MY MARROW! :mad: ) cooking off of that chunk of bone is stuck in my head forever. It smelled like.... soup's on! :D
But now I have a very unique souvenir. :rolleyes:

The worst part is that my riding had been progressing before my accident and now, at 35, I don't know if I will have the guts to get back up there and do those drops ever again. I still have the desire, in a big way, but I would just feel like a complete idiot if I injured myself badly again. It's still too soon to tell how strong my leg will be, the bone grafts are still growing and filling in after 10 months! I guess we'll see....

Attachments

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
washed out on a berm...broken collarbone. sling for 3 months
tried to bunnyhop sideways over this partition thing and ended up spraining my wrist....still hurts...that's it. I'm too much of a pansy to go big and get hurt.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Thats pretty much the worst accident I have read that didnt involve facial or head injuries. Digging the bone out of the ground, that had to be one hell of a hit. I saw something like that once when a guys parachute didnt open. Its hard to say you were lucky or that it could have been worst when you really got mangled. I think you would be a complete idiot if you ever tried anything that remotely approached that again unless you did that for a living. DaKahuna I hope the bone grafts work out and the accident fades into the background. Trade the DH rig for a nice XC bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DaKahuna said:
I also called a taxidermist and asked how to preserve a chunk of fresh bone, and he asked "what kind of bone?" To which I replied "my own!" He wanted to hear the story then told me to boil and bleach it. The smell of the marrow (MY MARROW! :mad: ) cooking off of that chunk of bone is stuck in my head forever. It smelled like.... soup's on! :D
but how did it taste?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm living it right now :mumble:

Broken humurous while riding up at Whistler 4 weeks ago today. 8 more weeks in a cast then 2 months of PT. I have been cleared to ride the recumbent bike at the gym next week :rolleyes: WOO HOO! Nothing like having your boyfriend do your hair :thumb: