Quantcast

Your worst injury

DaKahuna

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lake Elsinore, CA
borrego - Wade Simmons is the example I was thinking about. He broke his femur, but not as badly as mine, and he was back at the Red Bull Rampage last year. Whether or not I do it for a living I'm not sure if it matters. It's about the enjoyment one gets from the activity, weighed against the consequences. Considering I hope to have a family soon, I'll likely come down (pun!) on the safer side of things, but I will still be catching plenty of air.

Toshi - you have no idea how close I came to giving in to that very strange temptation, just to see how it tasted. Self-cannibalism! :eek: I flew, I saw the cukoos nest, but I didn't fly over the cukoos nest. ;)

Snacks - best wishes on your recovery! Don't let it get you down too bad.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
does nutting yourself really hard count as a bad injury? i think it hurt just as much as when i broke my wrist playing hockey.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Zark said:
I ruptured my kidney crashing into a ravine. Peeing red gore was my first hint that I was in big trouble :(
same thing here...bar spin gone horrible wrong and I was gored by my own bike!....defnitely the most painful...but I have had crashes that had a more mental effect on me vs. physical...D

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
I'm just in the recovery phase after at 16 feet crash down a dh hairpin drop, in which i smashed something in my right shoulder some 6 weeks ago!

Things in there are stitched together with some stainless steel wire, and should be reasonable okay, but i'm still looking for at least 3 months of physioterapy before things should be up to normal standard...

Some pics...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
took a trip OTB @ speed @ w'green in 03
4 fractures, 2 dislocations, 3 temporary pins, 3 permanent screws, 1 permanent plate w/5 screws, 2 surgeries, 1 concussion

simple fracture of 5th metacarpal
comminuted (a fracture in which the bone is splintered or crushed into numerous pieces) fracture of 4th meta
2nd and 3rd meta dislocated from schapoid (small wrist bone)
fractured capitate (small wrist bone)
fractured trapezium (part of thumb joint)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Steen Good Legs said:
I'm just in the recovery phase after at 16 feet crash down a dh hairpin drop, in which i smashed something in my right shoulder some 6 weeks ago!

Things in there are stitched together with some stainless steel wire, and should be reasonable okay, but i'm still looking for at least 3 months of physioterapy before things should be up to normal standard...

Some pics...
That photo can be cropped in amusing ways....

Attachments

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
I did a header over the bars on a friends bike going almost full tilt on pavement!. The idiot didn't tell me the brakes were reversed! I slid on my chest/shoulder for amost 10 feet! Serious road rash!!!!!!!!

MrPrime

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Broken Collarbone as well here. Was doing a gap on my HT, I hit it way too fast and basically it bumped my back end up and i went over the handlebars in the air. Worst part was I landed on my back directly on my shoulder. Which forced pretty much all my weight into my collarbone. I at first thought i just dislocated my shoulder, but it turned out worse.

I remember saying "yeah yeah, im alright... wait...no i'm not. shiiit. No I seriosly am buggered." "what? yeah, I broke my shoulder... wait, collar bone. F%^k me... woa. Check it out (shock is setting in), its sticking out...what the hell. Thats messed up. hahaha. Woa, I feel dizzy".

at this point I kinda wandered over to my buddies showed them my shoulder. Crazzzy. Sat down, and some good samaritans came over and helped me out. If your reading this, thanks guys, you really helped me out there. My friends had no idea what to do.

Got to the hospital, got some x-rays, sat around, hit on the nurses alot (hey, I was in shock...haha). Got some stickers and a fake tattoo. Doc sent me home, didnt reset it or anything.

All better now and its been...2 1/2 months? about maybe? haha

Dirtface

Chimp
May 22, 2005
Austin, Texas
Cracked jaw landing in on a rock in a creek, jaw doesn't close correctly and sometimes I have to "push" it back into place to close.

Torn thigh muscle (man that hurt!)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i knocked myself out in a skatepark once, well i think i did. When i got up off the concrete a bunch of kids were around me that hadnt been there before. And my helmet was broken. I was on a road trip and didnt want to make a big deal out of it, so i retired my bike for the rest of the day and drank pbr/smoked pot the rest of the afternoon. the next day i couldnt tell if my headache was from the wreck or if i was hungover!

I've had worse injuries but they cant compare to some of the ones already in here... i wish everyone a healthy and happy recovery

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
Ive had my ear cut so my ear is only hanging on by under half an inch of my earlobe (I was running with scissors when i was 7 and slipped on something), and I chipped part of some bone in my elbow when i was trying my first drop i couldnt roll over (I didnt really pull up)

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Two broken ankles, a torn ACL, torn cartelidge, two broken arms and a broken wrist. Numerous thumb and finger dislocations. And all of those were from motocross - I started riding bikes 'cause I thought it was "safer" :D .

Oh, I almost forgot....a broken boner from a fat chick in PA....but that's a different riding story alltogether.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Oooo. Some of these I can't even read without wincing!

Not my worst injury, but definately the most colorful:
Been riding for about 3 months when I misjudged a log, lifted up, came down on top of it, expending the fork and turning the handlbars... with the momentum I had, I would've sailed nicely over the bars, but my shorts hung up and brought me back...
I slammed down on the left handlebar with my left inner thigh, driving the right side handlebar into the dirt about 4 inches.

This was the result.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
i was riding a dirtbike on loose ashpalt/gravel, lost control and tagged a car. Landed superman style broke my wrist in five places, three pins, one titanium t-plate eight screws, two surgeries, busted out my two front teeth. It still hurts daily four years later. The first thing i remember saying (i didnt black out) was
" wow that didnt hurt as bad as I had expected" I wanted to ride the bike to the emergency room but I couldnt pull in the clutch due to the broken wrist.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bruised back and ribs...nothing too serious. :) My most painful injuries have come from hockey, not MTB (broken nose, pulled groins, twisted ankles, sprained wrists, puck-to-mouth, etc).

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Plattekill & XC bike & the chute........ouch

The chute has a big ass tree in the middle of it; hip, this is the tree, tree meet mr. hip

pain was my friend for 2-3 months, I think the hardest thing was to get in/out of a car........but I kept riding

I sprained/hair fracture my thumb playing volleyball, broke a toe jumping out of a car.......nothing real serious, so I condsider myself lucky

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Broken hand & dislocated thumb (dirtbike accident in '86)

14 staples down the outside of my right calf. Calf muscle sliced open to the bone by big chain-ring (MTB crash in '91)

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
johnbryanpeters said:
'91, lost front wheel on road bike, face plant on pavement, broken face, bleeding inside head, swelling pushed eyeballs out of sockets, surgery, yada yada.

Sometime previous: chainsaw to face, split upper lip, nicked right eye.
I think I understand your avatar now.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've been lucky on the bike so far...a few ouchy endos and face plants

I suck at sleeping, apparently, because the only broken bone I've had happened occured as the result of a bad dream. When I woke up, I couldn't bend my thumb!

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
bluebug32 said:
I suck at sleeping, apparently, because the only broken bone I've had happened occured as the result of a bad dream. When I woke up, I couldn't bend my thumb!
Bwaha! :thumb: Reminds me when my friend broke his collarbone while watching TV and falling off of the couch. :nuts:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
this thread deserves a bump. we have some great updates that are due from GFF, Bullcrew, and a few others.

I'm in for my OTB at Silver Star where I landed with the rubber side up and the bone side down for a broken neck at c3/c4 and a prognosis of a life of neck-down paralysis and breathing through a machine ...but it only lasted a few months before I did get better, so I don't know if counts as much. Regardless, it was my personal best at doing my worst.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
im the youngest of four kids, my mom had us all at roseland park i was 5 my other siblings were 7, 10, and 12 so mom had her hands full. we were all on the merry go round and i slipped out of my moms hands fell off the horse and on to the floor of the ride then tumbled off onto the ground, to this day i still have a crack in my a$$

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Two come to mind--

Moved to Tahoe, called in sick to go to a mtb race, out on the course, down a ditch, hit a ridge, went over the bars, and broke my left arm. When I confessed (man, was I stupid), I was suspended for 3 days, then forced to transfer from day to graveyard shift.

Diamondbacks win the World Series over the Yankees. I proceed to jump around the house in complete joy, hear a loud "POP", and realized I ruptured my achilles tendon. While seeing doc the next day, he proceeds to tell my wife that "this is what happens to guys in their 40's trying to re-live their 20's". Thanks, doc, however, alcohol was not involved at the time.