Quantcast

You've got $1500 to buy a DH bike. What do you get?

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I would rather buy a used bike, that doesn't look like it has been used that hard, like that Sunday, not a bike that has lived at Whistler bike park, and looks like it has been shredded hard, like that DHR. I personally, do not want to buy a bike from a ripper, who is selling it before it will break. I kinda think every DH has a limited lifespan: 3 seasons of hard use, and pretty much every bike in going to fatigue and crack.
You want to buy a bike from a 40 year old dood, that gapes it up a handful of times a year. Or ideally, from an e-warrior that just likes to have cool bikes, but doesn't really ride. There are a tons of guys out there, addicted to the lastest and greatest, despite barely even using the thing??? That's who you want to buy a bike from: the guys that are unloading pimped demos, to build up carbon Wilsons.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I would offer that Sunday homie $700 cash. Zee clutch derailleur and some XT brakes, and that thing would be pretty solid.

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
That Turner DHR I posted isn't locally only. I live in NZ and he was happy to arrange shipping to Portland (my USA>NZ forwarding address).

It's an absolute steal. I couldn't quite afford shipping.

Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
You get what you pay for...... There is a reason he's selling it for $380, vs. $800-1000. I would never buy a bike that spent 2-3 seasons under a whistler local, season's pass holder. That is just me. I would never buy my own used bike, if that makes sense? I sell them after I have 2-3 seasons into it, and unload before the cracks and cashed bearing bore issues start to rear their ugly heads.

I sold my last square tube DHR with boxxer teams, pretty solid build (though mostly old parts I didn't want anymore, and new low-mid range stuff I never ran) for $800 complete. I thought it was fair... good bike, but not much life left, and starting to get into headache territory. I sold it to some dood in Utah, hopefully he got a good start on it.