Quantcast

Zeb Thread

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Looking forward to Zeb content!

God that name is so bad. It’s 2020; you’d think the e-lizard marketers would step up their game.:tinfoil:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
One of my riding buds picked one of the first batches available and we ran down to snowshoe for the weekend. He was blown away by the fork's performance (coming off a couple year old 36). The aesthetics of the fork are pretty great as well except for the terrible logos. Requires an immediate de-badge IMO.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One of my riding buds picked one of the first batches available and we ran down to snowshoe for the weekend. He was blown away by the fork's performance (coming off a couple year old 36). The aesthetics of the fork are pretty great as well except for the terrible logos. Requires an immediate de-badge IMO.
It's rockshox so I have no doubt it works fantastically right now.

Update us in 9 months once he tries to rebuild it like 4 times but still can't get rid of the play nor get it to work as well as it did out of the box. ;)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It's rockshox so I have no doubt it works fantastically right now.

Update us in 9 months once he tries to rebuild it like 4 times but still can't get rid of the play nor get it to work as well as it did out of the box. ;)
One thing to note on the Zeb is that it runs 50mL of lube oil per leg, iirc. I've had one for awhile, and put enough riding on it to know that it has the freshly rebuilt feeling for longer than typical, from my experience so far.
With that much oil in the legs, whenever it doesn't feel fresh, tip the bike up and let all that oil soak the bushings and seals (and burp air from the lowers) and it's always been back to feeling good.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've been riding one. Not enough time on it yet for a kidwoo approved durability test but it's pretty good. It's noticeably stiffer than any modern single crown I've been on (no 38 or Era yet) and the damper is the same Charger 2.1 they've been doing for a while, which works well. Midstroke support out of the spring could be better, I think the new C1 Debonair is a little bit of a step backwards in that regard.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've been riding one. Not enough time on it yet for a kidwoo approved durability test but it's pretty good. It's noticeably stiffer than any modern single crown I've been on (no 38 or Era yet) and the damper is the same Charger 2.1 they've been doing for a while, which works well. Midstroke support out of the spring could be better, I think the new C1 Debonair is a little bit of a step backwards in that regard.
Is there a fork made in the last year you haven't bought?

When's the garage sale start?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll spoil the party, my Yarilanche is starting to creak, not real bad like the last time around, but I'm going to be looking for new uppers in a month or two at the most I'd think...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I'll spoil the party, my Yarilanche is starting to creak, not real bad like the last time around, but I'm going to be looking for new uppers in a month or two at the most I'd think...
I'm on a Yarilanche as well. Second set of uppers that started to creak last month. I'm suspecting my bushings are worn as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm on a Yarilanche as well. Second set of uppers that started to creak last month. I'm suspecting my bushings are worn as well.
Mine's about a 2-3 on a scale of 10, with 10 being unridable. I'm figuring my bushings are good, oil has been changed and no wear marks, seems tight that way. Still, uppers are around $320 from what I've seen and a new Yari is around $500 for everything...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Mine's about a 2-3 on a scale of 10, with 10 being unridable. I'm figuring my bushings are good, oil has been changed and no wear marks, seems tight that way. Still, uppers are around $320 from what I've seen and a new Yari is around $500 for everything...
Still worth it IMHO, I'll spend 3-500 every few years and switch the coil and damper over.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
My RS chassis has the creaks as well. Similar to Jm_ it doesn't sound like a Fox/glock firing off thankfully, but it is enough to be a minor annoyance.

Anyone here try applying some wicking grade loctite 290 to their steerer/crown interface to try to resolve creaking? An online search seems to suggest that others have done this with varying degrees of success. Seems like a low $$ option to try vs. new uppers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My RS chassis has the creaks as well. Similar to Jm_ it doesn't sound like a Fox/glock firing off thankfully, but it is enough to be a minor annoyance.

Anyone here try applying some wicking grade loctite 290 to their steerer/crown interface to try to resolve creaking? An online search seems to suggest that others have done this with varying degrees of success. Seems like a low $$ option to try vs. new uppers.
I looked at that, seems like it'd be damn near impossible to get the locktite in there. I'm still considering it, but we'll see. I'd like to stretch it out for at least another few months, but I may go to the bike park tomorrow too.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Yeah, I've thought of trying a heat gun to the crown to expandita bit. Then dripping the locktite in. All most every single crown gets creaky it seams.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I've thought of trying a heat gun to the crown to expandita bit. Then dripping the locktite in. All most every single crown gets creaky it seams.
I did the same with some epoxy a few days ago (heated it and the HT) but haven't ridden it since, been raining too much. There's a slight possibility this is in my HS bearings, since again it's on the lower level of creaks, I haven't been able to replicate it by turning the bike upside down and working the legs back and forth, but IME, this is still usually the fork crown/steerer interface. The last time I did this, back in 2017 or so, I was going crazy thinking it was the HS and buying new bearings, new cups, etc., but that was never it. I also had a problem back then with cheap knockoff pinned rotors that had play in them, so when I went to brake I'd get a "knocking" as well.