Quantcast

ÅÆØ > Tuesday GTM on Fire > ÅØÆ

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
car monkeys:

my wife's 2014 outback has a bunch of console lights on (check engine, cruise control flashing, and parking brake flashing despite parking brake not being on). it started when we took it to pep boys for the headlight bulb change. they pulled the battery to try to get it and they came on when it was reconnected. when it was at the dealer for the bulbs the looked at it, but when they checked with the scanner it wasn't throwing any codes. so they want it back in for full diagnostic. i checked google and it said disconnect the battery so i did that and left it unplugged overnight. no dice, lights still on. any thoughts? would like to avoid another trip to the dealer if possible.
connections seem clean, the battery is new within the last few months. should i disconnect both terminals? i only disconnected negative last night.
I'm with sausage boy. This smacks of bad battery or a bad ground. Newer cars are finicky if electrical source gets wierd. Hell, even my 20 year old Wrangler starts doing really odd things before a battery totally shits. I'd start with a battery, but since you say it's fairly new, that kind of rules that out, though not 100%. Don't know about an outback but our impreza had grounds everywhere. Follow the negative cable to wherever it's attached to the frame. Make sure it's clean and tight. Follow any wire bundles even remotely close to the headlight and do the same thing. Check around the fuse box as well. If it's an ecu, buy lube and prepare your anus.

Edit. Take the battery to an auto parts place and have it tested. It's usually free and that's an easy suspect to eliminate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm with sausage boy. This smacks of bad battery or a bad ground. Newer cars are finicky if electrical source gets wierd. Hell, even my 20 year old Wrangler starts doing really odd things before a battery totally shits. I'd start with a battery, but since you say it's fairly new, that kind of rules that out, though not 100%. Don't know about an outback but our impreza had grounds everywhere. Follow the negative cable to wherever it's attached to the frame. Make sure it's clean and tight. Follow any wire bundles even remotely close to the headlight and do the same thing. Check around the fuse box as well. If it's an ecu, buy lube and prepare your anus.

Edit. Take the battery to an auto parts place and have it tested. It's usually free and that's an easy suspect to eliminate.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Subaru - oh the bane of my existence.

You may be having an issue with the anti-theft system. You can disconnect the positive/ negative terminal for about two minutes, switch your key into the ignition position and then reconnect the terminals while the key is in the ignition.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Subaru - oh the bane of my existence.

You may be having an issue with the anti-theft system. You can disconnect the positive/ negative terminal for about two minutes, switch your key into the ignition position and then reconnect the terminals while the key is in the ignition.
:stupid:
Does this car have anti-theft or remote start? If so :rofl: because Id lay money on this being the issue.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm glad I got rid of my Subaru. That thing was just a freaking ticking time bomb. On the list of cars I will never again own.

This may sound stupid, but check the gas cap/gas cap seal. I read a couple threads that Subaru likes to flash extra dash lights to make it seem more urgent that you address the problem.

The other high probability is battery/alternator. That's easy enough to check with a voltmeter.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm glad I got rid of my Subaru. That thing was just a freaking ticking time bomb. On the list of cars I will never again own.

This may sound stupid, but check the gas cap/gas cap seal. I read a couple threads that Subaru likes to flash extra dash lights to make it seem more urgent that you address the problem.

The other high probability is battery/alternator. That's easy enough to check with a voltmeter.
already checked the gas cap.

honestly this is the first gripe i've had about subaru between both mine and my wife's car (stemming from the stupid headlight changing).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i'm aware.

You got rid of the Spec-B Legacy GT? :(

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
No, I think they caused the problem. Upon reassembly
To add, here is the bigger part, no problem before, problem after.

Lights on but no codes screams electrical shorts, specially with some flashing. @kazlx I forgot about that on the subies, so stupid. But at the same time he has no codes, if that was firing the lights should have a large evap leak code at least in the pending.

For those that are saying go to AutoZone and use their "scanner". That's just a code reader, nothing more. Diagnostic work does not always include a scanner, specially with something like this. Something of the electrical sort takes good old fashioned hard work, there is no magic computer that will tell you exactly what's wrong.

Also, your slight lag on start is is likely from a simple relearning process since the Kam clears when you disconnect the battery without a memory saver installed to keep power to the pcm/bcm.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
strongly considering bailing on work tomorrow to ride. have the time to burn. 9 days to take off by year end, 5 of those 13 i can roll over to 2018 but have to use by end of first quarter, and i've already got another 4 allocated for christmas.

and this is not counting the 3.5 weeks i still have of parental leave to use by next May.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
strongly considering bailing on work tomorrow to ride. have the time to burn. 9 days to take off by year end, 5 of those 13 i can roll over to 2018 but have to use by end of first quarter, and i've already got another 4 allocated for christmas.

and this is not counting the 3.5 weeks i still have of parental leave to use by next May.
3.5 weeks of subaru fixing time*

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Putting the jumper on the trainer tonight to see how she spins. I am guessing pretty well since it has street tires on it. Lil Man was able to ride his Big Boy Bike down the hill last weekend and I told him if he can make it around the block by Spring that we would be hitting the BMX track. I figured if I can get my cardio up, I might do at least one race in old man cruiser class next year. Having a goal keeps me motivated and it helps the "I could really use a trail bike for the dog" argument. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Love Big Agnes.

Early October camping in Moab, strong wind dumped our tent into bushes and almost into the Colorado River while we were out Whole Enchilada'ing - rain fly got a dozen tears in it.

Opened a repair case with BA and sent in the rain fly, they couldn't repair it but found an old one (our model has been superseded) with a colour run in it and sold it to me for $25 that just turned up today.

Much better than the prospect of having to spend ~$400 to replace the whole tent.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Love Big Agnes.

Early October camping in Moab, strong wind dumped our tent into bushes and almost into the Colorado River while we were out Whole Enchilada'ing - rain fly got a dozen tears in it.

Opened a repair case with BA and sent in the rain fly, they couldn't repair it but found an old one (our model has been superseded) with a colour run in it and sold it to me for $25 that just turned up today.

Much better than the prospect of having to spend ~$400 to replace the whole tent.
and people ask me why I stake the shit out of both the tent body and the fly with T stakes (12-14 of them).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It was well staked, but yes it was a packed down sandy area.

Definitely going to invest in some sand stakes for the future.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have this love/hate relationship with the whole used bike market right now. There are some REALLY good used 26" bikes out there that could use a loving home. But literally everything has moved to the 650b. I mean damn, a Yeti SB575 for $1000 on pinkbike complete, holy hell. I guess it will only matter once I have the funds together anyway, but bikes I could have never considered when new are now crazy cheap. I mean, I may just say to hell with it and buy up every loose 26" High Roller to stock up for a few years and just ride the 26" wheels off. :panic:

Stupid bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have this love/hate relationship with the whole used bike market right now. There are some REALLY good used 26" bikes out there that could use a loving home. But literally everything has moved to the 650b. I mean damn, a Yeti SB575 for $1000 on pinkbike complete, holy hell. I guess it will only matter once I have the funds together anyway, but bikes I could have never considered when new are now crazy cheap. I mean, I may just say to hell with it and buy up every loose 26" High Roller to stock up for a few years and just ride the 26" wheels off. :panic:

Stupid bikes.
the only 26" stuff that's hard to find anymore really are (new, newish) frames. still tons of options for wheels/rims/tires. even forks aren't that hard to find.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the only 26" stuff that's hard to find anymore really are (new, newish) frames. still tons of options for wheels/rims/tires. even forks aren't that hard to find.
Last time I was at the shop they had a pretty limited selection of 26" tires, so that made me a little worried. Tires would be my major concern since I know I won't be hucking to flat any time soon. But as long as I can get them on line it should be good. There are some really nice bikes sub $1500, just saying.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Except 26", straight 1 1/8" steerer with 20mm axle. Those are a bit harder to find, maybe I should start stockpiling for the 2 frames I do have that use those "standards".

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Problem is none of these bikes are local so no test rides. But I have an idea of what I want in a trail bike and there really isn't a whole lot that would be WORSE than my 42# RM7.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Maybe with tapered steerers. Straight... not so much.

Anyone do much bikepacking? I never have. Always wanted to.
No better way to ruin a nice mt bike ride, IMO.

If I want to pack, I'll stick to walking.

But I've heard some masoch^H^H^H^Hpeople like it.

:D

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Ride completed. Now drinking beer as I pack my bag to fly down to Florida tmw to visit the parents for Thanksgiving. I really wish they would have stayed in St George, Utaard. O well, I guess offshore fishing on Friday and Saturday will replace my wants to ride the dirt..maybe??