Quantcast

\̅_̅/̷̚ʾ \̅_̅/̷̚ʾ Torsion free tues. GMT \̅_̅/̷̚ʾ \̅_̅/̷̚ʾ

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:dead:

One of the dogs got me out of bed at 2 am and wouldn't let me go back to sleep. Every time I laid back down she was booping me awake. Took her out, nothing. Finally ended up sleeping on the couch in the basement so my wife could get a few Zzzs.

So now I'm running on 2, 2 hour naps. Bring on the covfefe.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@slyfink how busy does Camp Fortune get on the weekend?

If all goes to plan, I am heading to Bromont to ride with a buddy on Friday. Sleeping in the car Friday night somewhere and then on Saturday have to make my way across Ontario to Huntsville, via Highway 60 through Algonquin Park and whatnot.

Debating stopping at Camp Fortune, but looks like it might be raining which would kibosh that plan. Also seems like it would add significant drive time, having to basically go through the gut of Ottawa to get there and do it all over again to leave.

Other option is to just do the drive and ride at the end in Huntsville, where they've added some cool new trails since I've last visited.

hmmmmm.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Largest customer decided to not renew their contract. I’m expecting people will be let go. I’m semi optimistic that I’ll be retained, not sure how I feel about that.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@slyfink how busy does Camp Fortune get on the weekend?

If all goes to plan, I am heading to Bromont to ride with a buddy on Friday. Sleeping in the car Friday night somewhere and then on Saturday have to make my way across Ontario to Huntsville, via Highway 60 through Algonquin Park and whatnot.

Debating stopping at Camp Fortune, but looks like it might be raining which would kibosh that plan. Also seems like it would add significant drive time, having to basically go through the gut of Ottawa to get there and do it all over again to leave.

Other option is to just do the drive and ride at the end in Huntsville, where they've added some cool new trails since I've last visited.

hmmmmm.
as long as there's no race happening, it's not bad. I haven't ridden the lifts there in 13 years, but often drive by them on the way to ride. I'd say the waits are never more than 10 minutes at their peak. The biggest problem is traffic jams from "leafers". it could easily take you 30 or more minutes to go the 3km from the highway to the hill. And maybe 45 minutes to leave. it's absolutely ridiculous, and I avoid the park like the plague on thanksgiving weekend. Better to go ride MSM in that situation...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dogs waking me up at 4:30 this morning after sleeping for 7.5 hours doesn't seem so bad after reading the @Adventurous post. After tending to the needs of the four legged princesses, I hit the high school track for an hour of running (8.25 miles @ 7:19 avg pace). There were four other people there before sunrise running in circles like assholes. Hooray!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
as long as there's no race happening, it's not bad. I haven't ridden the lifts there in 13 years, but often drive by them on the way to ride. I'd say the waits are never more than 10 minutes at their peak. The biggest problem is traffic jams from "leafers". it could easily take you 30 or more minutes to go the 3km from the highway to the hill. And maybe 45 minutes to leave. it's absolutely ridiculous, and I avoid the park like the plague on thanksgiving weekend. Better to go ride MSM in that situation...
Oh true, I didn't even consider the leaf admirers. That seals the deal then, I shall continue through.

Kind of sucks that there isn't much to ride between Ottawa and Algonquin Park.

I wonder if there is any good stuff in Calabogie?

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Oh true, I didn't even consider the lead admirers. That seals the deal then, I shall continue through.

Have you ever tried Kanata?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Oh true, I didn't even consider the lead admirers. That seals the deal then, I shall continue through.

were you looking to ride lifts?
Have you ever tried Kanata?
caus' Kanata is a jankfest of the worst order... no elevation gain to speak of, just a brutal, chundery sufferfest! Don't get me wrong, I likes me the chunder, but when it's accompanied by elevation loss! I'll usually hit Kanata once or twice a year, and that's enough for me.

Calabogie has (had?) some trails, but they're not official, and maybe a bit hard to navigate. They shut down their lift operations about 12 years ago, and as far as I know don't maintain a network anymore.

There's a bunch of stuff out in Beachburg, but I'm not sure what state it's in. I haven't been in about 4 years. It's on Trailforks. Most of it seems to be concentrated around Wilderness Trails Tours home base - they're a rafting and whitewater paddling outfit that are trying to diversify their offer.

There's also Forest Lea outside of Pembroke, but I've never been. Heard good things though.

When are you coming through? I'm going to Montreal for Thanksgiving, but might be back in town on Monday. I'd happily show you around some interesting riding if timing lines up... There's ways to avoid leafers in the park but still access good riding. as long as it's not lift assisted.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
were you looking to ride lifts?

caus' Kanata is a jankfest of the worst order... no elevation gain to speak of, just a brutal, chundery sufferfest! Don't get me wrong, I likes me the chunder, but when it's accompanied by elevation loss! I'll usually hit Kanata once or twice a year, and that's enough for me.

Calabogie has (had?) some trails, but they're not official, and maybe a bit hard to navigate. They shut down their lift operations about 12 years ago, and as far as I know don't maintain a network anymore.

There's a bunch of stuff out in Beachburg, but I'm not sure what state it's in. I haven't been in about 4 years. It's on Trailforks. Most of it seems to be concentrated around Wilderness Trails Tours home base - they're a rafting and whitewater paddling outfit that are trying to diversify their offer.

There's also Forest Lea outside of Pembroke, but I've never been. Heard good things though.

When are you coming through? I'm going to Montreal for Thanksgiving, but might be back in town on Monday. I'd happily show you around some interesting riding if timing lines up... There's ways to avoid leafers in the park but still access good riding. as long as it's not lift assisted.
Yeah was looking at riding lifts, as its a 7 hour drive from Bromont to where I'm going, so that'd make it a little easier to do.

Your description of Kanata sounds exactly like the trails around Bracebridge. You bust balls going up and down, there's no let up and a short ride feels like it was much longer. :rofl:

I've also read a few good things about Forest Lea, maybe that'll be an option, depending where I camp that night.

I'm going to be leaving Bromont Friday night and will try to make it to somewhere around Ottawa to sleep for the night. Then up early and continue driving on Saturday, stopping somewhere to ride for an hour or two.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Dogs waking me up at 4:30 this morning after sleeping for 7.5 hours doesn't seem so bad after reading the @Adventurous post. After tending to the needs of the four legged princesses, I hit the high school track for an hour of running (8.25 miles @ 7:19 avg pace). There were four other people there before sunrise running in circles like assholes. Hooray!!
We can usually count on being booped out of bed once or twice a year for explosive diarrhea, but she goes out, blasts off, then it's back to bed. Last night's behavior was weird, it had me questioning whether there was something else wrong, either with her health or otherwise.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Dreamed about doing interviews and answering questions all night long. Up early and spent all morning prepping common questions for STAR interview process. I'm glad I did because I was able to draw down a few more examples for common questions than I had thought of before.

League is tonight. Went to K1 with Haley on Sunday and she was dropping near track record times all afternoon, so tonight should be fun.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Wired garage for car charging. Needs some cleaning up, and I'll probably redo the run into the actual breaker panel because I didn't have what would have looked better on hand, but the car was pretty dead and needed charging ASAP. Moar boxes to unload. Taking small dog to wash place, the scent of skunk continues to linger.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yay for mountain snow

boo for kid with GI illness. my schedule just shifted to WFH from being at the hospital to accommodate her being home... but we also have two other people either out or with scheduling conflicts that they didn't deign to tell our section head about beforehand. so we're short staffed in other words.

I will have to work more of the day than usual. :(