Quantcast

πππππ Wednesday gtm ∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I do but not really with a program or routine. I’m trying to change that. I’ve got some reading materials on the subject. Much of the tightness is driven by my nerve damage and spasticity.
I do some basic stretches after every ride or hike. Been procrastinating about taking a yoga class but might have to get on with it to alleviate some back pain when I ride. Also need to improve my upper body strength since thru hiking has turned me into a spindly armed T-Rex with a backpack.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I do some basic stretches after every ride or hike. Been procrastinating about taking a yoga class but might have to get on with it to alleviate some back pain when I ride. Also need to improve my upper body strength since thru hiking has turned me into a spindly armed T-Rex with a backpack.
I follow this guy on IG and he’s got a few free ebooks with routines. I’m gonna try them soon.

I also recommend a book called Becoming A Supple Leopard. Terrible title, good info.

Also, don’t underestimate the power of massage. I got one recently and it helped a ton. I’d been procrastinating even though I knew it would help. Got another scheduled for Thursday. I think I’m gonna do one or two a week for the foreseeable future to help get me going.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So the back pain I’ve been dealing with seems largely driven by hamstring tightness on the left leg. As an added bonus I now seem to have developed a painful callus/corn on the same leg. You know, since my gait is off.
Dislike.

congrats, 'squeeb. that's got to be a mental load off your, er, head? back?
Shoulders?

And yes. I might even get some sleep tonight.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Rode to the trails which is 30 min each way and then 1:45 on the trail. Good I had an IPA ready when I got home. I have not been in this good shape since 1999.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Seasonal stuff opens soon. Butter all the way to Cat Gap. :rockout: Perfect timing for @Full Trucker’s visit.
I’m in. Although I need to check to see if current Butter will be open. They are getting ready to redo it. I’m not sure if they ever said there will be any closures or when exact start date is…

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I’m in. Although I need to check to see if current Butter will be open. They are getting ready to redo it. I’m not sure if they ever said there will be any closures or when exact start date is…
Oh yeah, forgot about the redo. Definitely recon that and let me know.

Opens the day after we leave, no seasonal nonsense for us apparently. Boo.
If that loop can't be ridden when Cat Gap is open, climbing Long Branch isn't terrible.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Picking up my COVID meds today and will do the 5 day kill your taste buds challenge. On a lighter note (pun intended) I'm down 12 pounds. So I got that going for me.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ok, so, I was just REALLY pissed off, my kiddo put a gouge in the lacquer of my brand new, super sweet Martin Acoustic.
But then I heard that my friend Fred’s ex wife, who we knew socially ,killed herself on the 8th.
kind of put things in perspective as to my non-stop shitty year, it could (almost) always be psychically, physically, and emotionally much, much worse.
Peace be to all y’all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey man whores

i've been so busy at work lately that I haven't been able to check in and give you all useless updates about my life.

Me and soccer coach #2/new BFF have been out riding again. This time at 530 yay em. 20 miles which started in the dark...with no headlight. Had fun though. How are you?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hi. Was onsite today and I'm tired as fuck.

Talked with team owner about where/how Haley's fitting into the overall team. We're debating whether to put a race team sticker kit (vs. tent team member) onto her kart straight away or doing more carrot-ish steps (visor stickers, larger team logo stickers, etc) to keep building confidence step-by-step. It's a fine line to keep the promotional confidence building vs. taking advantage of the huge steps run she's making right now.

Onsite again tomorrow. Ready for a nap. Need to work on the kart tonight.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How many times have you tried this?? :confused:

I mean, I'm going to assume just once, but we don't kink-shame 'round these parts, so carry on, soldier! :D
Once would be plenty, I'm sure. I actually don't know from experience, I'm just guessing what a mouth full of shit would be like based on my current mouth feel.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So what's the loop? Park at Davidson River Rd 475 / Long Branch intersection, then pedal 475 to 471 to 471D, then down Butter Gap, then climb Long Branch back to the vehicle?
@AngryMetalsmith isnt there a gate on the FSR near the bottom of Cove Creek (or Daniel Ridge)? It was always closed when I went by..

It's been a few years, but the top of Long Branch was like riding down a ditch. It was fun, but not sure I'd want to climb it.

You could take Searcy Creek Road back to 475 and then to the car....or do a bonus lap of Daniel Ridge (at least the portion next to the river after Farlow).

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
So what's the loop? Park at Davidson River Rd 475 / Long Branch intersection, then pedal 475 to 471 to 471D, then down Butter Gap, then climb Long Branch back to the vehicle?
Park at Daniel Ridge lot
R onto 475 to Gloucester Gap

L onto 471 to 471b (Butter Gap parking)
Butter Gap to Cat Gap if in season

If not, like @canadmos said you can take Searcy Creek rd if it’s not over grown or finish climbing Long Branch back to 475.

Cat Gap dumps out behind the Fish Hatchery. From there take Davidson River trail to the parking area for Cove Creek.
Climb up Cove Creek.
At uber chunky not rideable creek bridge take connector trail to 225.
225 to the top of Daniel Ridge
R onto Daniel (creek side) heading towards Farlow Gap
End at Daniel Ridge lot.

Takes 4-5 hours and you might spot a bear or at least dodge some scat. If you ride it when Cat Gap is closed you will pass your car midway so you won’t need to carry a ton of water or snacks. But if it’s open it’s a freakin blast to bomb down Butter and then Cat Gap. Big wet rock slab at the top, high speed rawks n’roots, chill mellow flat section at the bottom. One of my favorites. Also there may or may not be a very difficult to find, locals only trail that eliminates a large chunk of dirt road.