Quantcast

πππππ Wednesday gtm ∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Rad. I wondered about Daniel Ridge, and if it was worth adding on.

How’s Farlow Gap?
Daniel Ridge is chonky and lots of fun, definitely worth adding it in.

I've only done the 2nd half, like how @AngryMetalsmith described. Cove Creek is a long but mellow climb and the 225FSR had some fast down sections, I think there is a waterfall next to it as well somewhere? The beauty of doing it this way, and if you park at the bottom of Cove Creek/Daniel Ridge, is once you get off 225 its all downhill to the car - zero climbing.

@AngryMetalsmith is this the bridge? We definitely made a few attempts to cross it. Probably not the smartest decision our group has ever made. :rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

How’s Farlow Gap?
If you ride Farlow, that’s probably all you will ride that day. Takes 2-2.5 hours of cursing to climb up to it. Then it’s a trail that more resembles a natural disaster than a trail. However you can hike a bike from Daniel up Farlow a bit to get a taste.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Daniel Ridge is chonky and lots of fun, definitely worth adding it in.

I've only done the 2nd half, like how @AngryMetalsmith described. Cove Creek is a long but mellow climb and the 225FSR had some fast down sections, I think there is a waterfall next to it as well somewhere? The beauty of doing it this way, and if you park at the bottom of Cove Creek/Daniel Ridge, is once you get off 225 its all downhill to the car - zero climbing.

@AngryMetalsmith is this the bridge? We definitely made a few attempts to cross it. Probably not the smartest decision our group has ever made. :rofl:

That might be the one. The drop in is rideable the opposite direction. But the other way, maybe if you’re Jeff Linosky.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
@AngryMetalsmith @canadmos from what you described, it looks like this is the way?

Butter Long Cove Daniel Handcuffs

I'll put it on the list for the crew to consider! And if there's any secret sauce that cuts out any dirt roads along that route, lemme know. Noted WRT Farlow Gap... sounds like the un-fun kind of fun, and I think we're on the strictly fun kind of fun program for this trip.

I think we have a good list going for "regular" Pisgah, but always happy for more suggestions. Ideas we (I) already have include:
  • Heartbreak and/or Katsuma, not sure if this is one ride or two or how it works.
  • Full Black (climb Clawhammer) and then maybe try to knock out a shuttle of Avery/Bennett afterwards for those that have the legs.
  • Spencer/Fletcher/Trace, thinking shuttle up FSR5000 to the start of Spencer Gap, ride Spencer to full Fletcher, then climb back up the upper part of FSR5000 to get a full Trace. I did it without the shuttle last year, and it's pretty good. I want these guys to experience it, and removing a couple K of climbing might be enticing to them. Plus, there's still a couple K of climbing even with a shuttle!
  • Maybe the aforementioned Butter Gap to Cove Creek to Daniels Ridge "loop"
We have six (6) full days of riding to fill up and while I want to explore more than I was able to ride last year, but it'd be a shame to not ride at least a couple classics with my buddies who have never been there. I'm just trying to steer us away from Dupont. Because... Dupont. ;)

I should start a thread... or a PM... or something. Actually already have a PM going with @jstuhlman for Teh Other Pisgah™ recommendations.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@AngryMetalsmith @canadmos from what you described, it looks like this is the way?

Butter Long Cove Daniel Handcuffs

I'll put it on the list for the crew to consider! And if there's any secret sauce that cuts out any dirt roads along that route, lemme know. Noted WRT Farlow Gap... sounds like the un-fun kind of fun, and I think we're on the strictly fun kind of fun program for this trip.

I think we have a good list going for "regular" Pisgah, but always happy for more suggestions. Ideas we (I) already have include:
  • Heartbreak and/or Katsuma, not sure if this is one ride or two or how it works.
  • Full Black (climb Clawhammer) and then maybe try to knock out a shuttle of Avery/Bennett afterwards for those that have the legs.
  • Spencer/Fletcher/Trace, thinking shuttle up FSR5000 to the start of Spencer Gap, ride Spencer to full Fletcher, then climb back up the upper part of FSR5000 to get a full Trace. I did it without the shuttle last year, and it's pretty good. I want these guys to experience it, and removing a couple K of climbing might be enticing to them. Plus, there's still a couple K of climbing even with a shuttle!
  • Maybe the aforementioned Butter Gap to Cove Creek to Daniels Ridge "loop"
We have six (6) full days of riding to fill up and while I want to explore more than I was able to ride last year, but it'd be a shame to not ride at least a couple classics with my buddies who have never been there. I'm just trying to steer us away from Dupont. Because... Dupont. ;)

I should start a thread... or a PM... or something. Actually already have a PM going with @jstuhlman for Teh Other Pisgah™ recommendations.
For those that don't want to climb all the way back up to Bennett after doing Black, or even for some extra for those that do, doing the small climb back up Sycamore Cove trail and doing it clockwise down to the road is a great option. And those that want to cut it short would now be a few minute pedal to The Hub for some beer(s).

And yeah that route looks spot on :cheers:

Last edited:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC

How’s Farlow Gap?
Daniel is most definitely worth adding on.

Farlow is probably the most remote and technical trail in Pisgah. Definitely worth at least one shred. I do it usually once or twice a year. The cove creek/Daniel is probably one of my favourites. I add wormhole to butter and back to the hatchery for a nice ride.