Quantcast

™™™™™™™ Wednesday GTM ®®®®®®®

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Ugh, they had a second and third round of attempts and still nothing. I think I've been jabbed by that spine needle 10-15 times and the pool of blood on the bed afterwards would support that. Plus all the local anesthesia needles.

So now they're scheduling me for, if I remember correctly, a flouroscopy guided lumbar puncture under general anesthesia.

My back feels fucked up man. The best part is when they are sticking the needle in and it hits the bone, it's such a weird deep painful sensation and I could kind of hear it internally - hard to describe.

Would definitely rather be riding. Going to see if I can sign out of here and buy a real pillow and some ear plugs.
:eek::( Wow. @canadmos hang in there man!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I went through all the fitting crap with both the road bike and the tracer. I think that most of it's overhyped religion.
Sure, there's always going to be some amount of it that borders on the inane, but there also has to be some amount of science to get you to the ideal setup other than just height. Preference plays a role, but I have to imagine there is a range based on one's measurements that represents the target window.

Or am I to believe that it's all a guessing game and the only way to figure out what's right is to try the nearly infinite combinations of dimensional configurations before figuring out what's best?

Sure, there's always going to be some amount of it that borders on the inane, but there also has to be some amount of science to get you to the ideal setup other than just height. Preference plays a role, but I have to imagine there is a range based on one's measurements that represents the target window.

Or am I to believe that it's all a guessing game and the only way to figure out what's right is to try the nearly infinite combinations of dimensional configurations before figuring out what's best?
Most professional fitting is addressed to professional racing. Most riders ain't racers. I have gotten bikes fitted by folks I trust, then have wound up changing this and that according to my own reasoning and/or experimentation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most professional fitting is addressed to professional racing. Most riders ain't racers. I have gotten bikes fitted by folks I trust, then have wound up changing this and that according to my own reasoning and/or experimentation.
yea, a lot of it is to get an optimized riding position for aerodynamics and power output. it's also beneficial for people that are getting pain / discomfort due to a riding position.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Will also add that professional fitment is mostly for roadies who tend to stay in one place while riding unlike mountain bikers who move around a lot more. Some of their optimal positions and measurements don’t really apply to trail riding.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
yea, a lot of it is to get an optimized riding position for aerodynamics and power output. it's also beneficial for people that are getting pain / discomfort due to a riding position.
:wave:

This is the root of my request. I am not a racer, hell, I barely ride at this point, but when I do I'd love for it to be a mostly comfortable endeavor with the pain limited to my muscles.

Where does one start? Set saddle position (height, angle, fore/aft) first then move to the reach portion of the equation? Then do it in the following order: handlebar width, then rise (via handlebar or spacers), bar sweep, stem length (based on comfort alone?), then controls positioning? That the right steps to progress through it?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
:wave:

This is the root of my request. I am not a racer, hell, I barely ride at this point, but when I do I'd love for it to be a mostly comfortable endeavor with the pain limited to my muscles.

Where does one start? Set saddle position (height, angle, fore/aft) first then move to the reach portion of the equation? Then do it in the following order: handlebar width, then rise (via handlebar or spacers), bar sweep, stem length (based on comfort alone?), then controls positioning? That the right steps to progress through it?
One method is to research saddles and buy the best option. Then take an extra stem or two and a set of allen wrenches with you on a ride and switch them trail side. Do this solo so no one is bugging you and you can focus on the fit. Some LBS have loaner saddles. Never hurts to ask if you have a good relationship with them.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Goddammit. Strawberry tiramisu is gone. WTF am I going to eat for breakfast?!?
so, this morning I ‘invented’ a new dish.
I took a banana, an egg, some 1/2 and 1/2, a little bit of vanilla, and a teeny scoche of salt, and whipped it in a blender. I then proceeded to make sourdough French Toast, cooked in butter, and served with butter melted in good maple syrup.
to say it was a bit divine is an understatement.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
so, this morning I ‘invented’ a new dish.
I took a banana, an egg, some 1/2 and 1/2, a little bit of vanilla, and a teeny scoche of salt, and whipped it in a blender. I then proceeded to make sourdough French Toast, cooked in butter, and served with butter melted in good maple syrup.
to say it was a bit divine is an understatement.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The food at this hospital blows. What even is this lol.

Maybe I'll just go back to the bag of prunes I purchased.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Been banging the new(er) Chemical Brothers album (Further) a fair bit this week. Damn it’s good. I mean it’s from 2010, that still counts as new right?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Been banging the new(er) Chemical Brothers album (Further) a fair bit this week. Damn it’s good. I mean it’s from 2010, that still counts as new right?
Anything after 1997 counts as "new"... :homer:

ETA: Apparently @jebfour beat me to it.

now I'm hungry for shepherd's pie

crab cakes for dinner instead
Great. Now I'm hungry for crab cakes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

When you are old, that is new. Also it has gotten very difficult to find good new music so digging through the archives is acceptable.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When you are old, that is new. Also it has gotten very difficult to find good new music so digging through the archives is acceptable.
Totally agree with this. Although Ms. 14 has been dragging up the odd good track from her generational contemporaries they mostly seem like one and done, and reflections of past bands.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I am in need of a hitch receiver and rack for the new CX-5. IIRC, you went the etrailer and 1up route, right? I take it the combo are working well.
Yup, 1Up Equip D Single. Since I rarely need to haul more than one bike I went with the Single because I can always add another tray to it, up to three bikes. It weighs 28 pounds and can easily be removed while not needed. Just got their wall mounted storage bracket delivered and installed it this afternoon. From wall to car and adding a bike probably takes less than 5 minutes.

Went with Curt Manufacturing for the hitch receiver. Actually talked to one of them out in the mid west somewhere. Always feel reassured when talking metal with someone who knows what’s up.

9019CB36-CE59-4AC8-BE68-8A736A94302A.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Jerk chicken from the local East Indies joint. Amazeballs it is.
The cafeteria at the local ER has some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever had in my life. Fucking amazing. No joke. I’d feel really weird going to the hospital just for lunch. But if I end up there for any reason I am damn sure hitting the cafeteria.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The cafeteria at the local ER has some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever had in my life. Fucking amazing. No joke. I’d feel really weird going to the hospital just for lunch. But if I end up there for any reason I am damn sure hitting the cafeteria.
Sure it's chicken and just not fried amputations?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Busy day in the Prairie. First rode some singletrench, then hiked in the Badlands, then climbed the highest peak in ND. Beers and burger ahead.

20220831_184022.jpg
20220831_184829.jpg
20220831_185033.jpg