Quantcast

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Tune in Tokyo Tuesday ░▒▓█▇▅▃▂

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Is that a typo ? Eighty-five pounds ?
I was young and didn't have $$ to throw at lightweight shit. So I went with what I had. 20F synthetic sleeping bag that probably weighed 4lbs, 7.5lb tent... you get the picture. Hell - I even took an ice axe with me 'cause I left kinda early in the season and didn't know if I'd need one.

I even put together all my food - there was no buying freeze-dried shit.

Hell - my *pack* probably weighed 8 lbs.

I think my pack weight less food/water was 60lbs.

Ahhh... good times.

Next time I do it, my pack will be much lighter, 'cause I'm gonna make my kids carry all the shit. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ohhhhh, I think I remember the issue now. I will look into it, but we were having trouble with the image processing library that handles the avatars - the library that could handle animated GIFs was throwing errors, so it was reverted to the one that couldn't handle animations.

I will check. Unfortunately, since AMI owns and restricts access to the servers, if the libraries aren't installed, I can't fix it. But I'll see what I can do.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ohhhhh, I think I remember the issue now. I will look into it, but we were having trouble with the image processing library that handles the avatars - the library that could handle animated GIFs was throwing errors, so it was reverted to the one that couldn't handle animations.

I will check. Unfortunately, since AMI owns and restricts access to the servers, if the libraries aren't installed, I can't fix it. But I'll see what I can do.
If you fix it, everyone is going to have the waggling dick avatar by the end of the week. :rofl:

ETA: with a Santa hat.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I was young and didn't have $$ to throw at lightweight shit. So I went with what I had. 20F synthetic sleeping bag that probably weighed 4lbs, 7.5lb tent... you get the picture. Hell - I even took an ice axe with me 'cause I left kinda early in the season and didn't know if I'd need one.

I even put together all my food - there was no buying freeze-dried shit.

Hell - my *pack* probably weighed 8 lbs.

I think my pack weight less food/water was 60lbs.

Ahhh... good times.

Next time I do it, my pack will be much lighter, 'cause I'm gonna make my kids carry all the shit. :D
Yeah, that sounds like the weights my Dad dealt with back in the late 80s. I always liked the idea of backpacking, but the high pack weights and a weak back made it impractical. But when my hiking friend pulled out his Hyperlite Dyneema backpack that weighed less than my Osprey day pack things started to click. Then he told me heavy boots were out as were hiking shoes. Trail runners are silly light.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Why would mine continue to work, though?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Yeah, that sounds like the weights my Dad dealt with back in the late 80s. I always liked the idea of backpacking, but the high pack weights and a weak back made it impractical. But when my hiking friend pulled out his Hyperlite Dyneema backpack that weighed less than my Osprey day pack things started to click. Then he told me heavy boots were out as were hiking shoes. Trail runners are silly light.
I def went off the deep end into the UL gear as you prob saw from my list on page 2.

I have yet to do a trip even with camera gear where I was over 10lbs this year. Currently redoing my camera gear and power bank situation to get even lighter because I am going to use the said same gear for the camino and some bike packing trips in 2022

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
If things are rocky, I can't even do hiking shoes - I still have proper hiking boots with stiff soles and lots of ankle support. My other shit is quite a bit lighter now, 'cause I'm old and rich. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On my longest leg - from Breckenridge to Gunnison (I planned 14 days) I had approximately 85lbs. :shocked:
I started with 70 lbs for 6 nights around the Tetons. Also carried beer and licker. When I was sporting 8% body far it was really just like walking around like an average'Merican.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why would mine continue to work, though?
Because yours was processed back when ImageMagick libraries were working properly.

It's not that XenForo can't display an animated GIF avatar, it's that when you upload your avatar, XF processes it, and that processing is borked for animated images.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I def went off the deep end into the UL gear as you prob saw from my list on page 2.

I have yet to do a trip even with camera gear where I was over 10lbs this year. Currently redoing my camera gear and power bank situation to get even lighter because I am going to use the said same gear for the camino and some bike packing trips in 2022
I want to get my base weight down even further but I still want to be comfy in camp. So, at 28 oz, my 2 person tent is a bit heavy by ultralite standards but is a palace for one. I also have a pillow and a chair. I need mah sleeps. Besides, I am going to spend half of my thru hike in that tent.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Go to customers site where they have an old r22 system still running r22. Detector is maxed out. I show them how it's only from one room and they say that room is valved off. I say yeah the liquid side is but it's still open to vapor side?? Yikes

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Short trip into town and walking on the sidewalk is this dude with green hair. And not some Rod Stewart 'do except dyed green for the weekend.
It's 1992 Dallas Cowboys Jimmy Johnson cousin Todd Johnson and remnants of the family gene pool - where the Hair Gene runs deep yet the Novelty Store runs deeper.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
5 tacos and 2 beers for dinner and suddenly I'm not that motivated to work out. Shocker.
IIRC last time you and & I spoke JK, you'd gotten those blackouts under control.

i'm not getting blackout drunk on a regular basis, or at all. fuck that noise.
Are you doing something with Tacos you're not supposed to?

Asking for a friend.

unnamed.png

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Conference over. I'm going for sushi.
Did I mention this city is filled with gorgeous ladies? Is it weird that they all look like sisters? Is it weird? That's weird.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Conference over. I'm going for sushi.
Did I mention this city is filled with gorgeous ladies? Is it weird that they all look like sisters? Is it weird? That's weird.
beautifying ones self is beautifying god

I broke my back on a green trail in park city a few years ago and the couple that helped me stand up were straight out of the stepford neighborhood.

I converted to LDS that night.

And comitted to many other things under the pure light of god's own fentanyl, administered by joseph smith's angels in the park city hospital. Personal hygiene, the aryan race, weird underwear, and an indescribable susceptibility to pyramid schemes. I think I also proposed to my friend joe. I'm guessing it didn't work out.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just got back from Haley's first kart league race. She actually beat a few boys who are regular league racers, so kinda cool. Ended up getting 4/6 in her final, 13/15 overall. She dropped an adtl >1sec off her best lap time from 2 weeks ago. She was at ~34sec per lap 1.5 months ago and is now down to 27.373sec.

We, by chance, sat down at the table next to the girl who holds the all-time track record, and I was able to talk with her dad for a while. During Haley's last race, the girl (who is 15, btw) came over and her dad pointed out that I was Haley's dad. She was running through things that she can do to be faster (tighter apexes, better line through a few corners), but how she was overall doing really well.

When she looked at the time sheet though, she kinda freaked out. Her lines and times, given she's only been there 6 times and done 20 races are apparently really, really good. And with how far too wide Haley's turns are (good arc, too far out), there is an easy extra second to pull by just tightening them up. After Haley's race she pulled Haley aside started going through how she could tighten things up, carry speed better, and drop time. And her dad started going through all the ways I could reduce the cost of buying races - bulk, doing BOGO gift cards, etc.

So... Haley apparently has kind of a knack for karting, moreso than her bike and maybe even her skiing. The skill set will obviously transfer between sports, but this one seems to be taking. Quickly.