Quantcast

■●■□♤Thursday gmt°○○▪︎▪︎

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You have a ratchet strap? I used this method on the BMW a couple times. Avons we're just stupid tight on those motorcycle wheels for whatever reason.
On my next attempt list. There are tools that are specifically made for kart tires. I'll spend the $100, thank you.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Grass install was a success
27391930-4501-4093-BFA8-0C0DEDC56269.jpeg

Never would have thought I’d spend so much on glorified Astro turf, but fresh sod would have still cost about half what the turf did and this means no mowing and no water bill.

Call with the asswipes at Sunrun also turned out mildly successful, after fuckface-9000 finally called 35 minutes late he went from defensive to eating a bag of dIckes and supper apologetic pretty quickly. Now we wait for him to talk to the field supervisor and figure out just how they got shit so fucked up in the first place, and how they propose to fix it.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Grass install was a success
View attachment 184204

Never would have thought I’d spend so much on glorified Astro turf, but fresh sod would have still cost about half what the turf did and this means no mowing and no water bill.

Call with the asswipes at Sunrun also turned out mildly successful, after fuckface-9000 finally called 35 minutes late he went from defensive to eating a bag of dIckes and supper apologetic pretty quickly. Now we wait for him to talk to the field supervisor and figure out just how they got shit so fucked up in the first place, and how they propose to fix it.
Did you rip up the sprinkler lines prior, or abandon in place?

I’ve been thinking about doing something in the front to conserve water. Either a combination of rock and native plants or synthetic grass.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Did you rip up the sprinkler lines prior, or abandon in place?

I’ve been thinking about doing something in the front to conserve water. Either a combination of rock and native plants or synthetic grass.
Removed and capped where they stuck out into the grass area so if I ever need them again I don’t have to tunnel under the concrete.

Just not watering the lawn the last few months has saved us about $150/month, and it was still half dead and looked like crap.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well. Got one of the tires on the the kart off the rim. What I can't do however, is get a new tire on. Son of a monkey fuck.
well, at least your new hobby has gotten you from stopping cutting baseboards all the time

:D

Seriously, though, what are you going to do for your own fitness now that you’re dropping everything to watch Haley kart?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My accidental SID showed up. This should be a fun build
If I accidentally bought a SID I'd be mortified.
Day drinking now in commiseration. It’s a cracking day.View attachment 184202
What's the green rectangle thing at the left.
Decent looking Tree Ferns, I love those things but poor old Hawaii has them(or an Aussie one) as a pretty bad weed, yay white people, planting shit where it doesn't belong.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
well, at least your new hobby has gotten you from stopping cutting baseboards all the time

:D

Seriously, though, what are you going to do for your own fitness now that you’re dropping everything to watch Haley kart?
We still have our passes and will ski this winter. And I still have a fuck ton of credits to K1 for myself. I'll still be doing indoor karting and likely renting outdoor karts intermittently.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
What's the green rectangle thing at the left.
This thing?

90195BE4-29AF-4AB3-9571-DC31B3B72E33.jpeg

It’s a covered plant nursery where the local council start to grow a bunch of the natives for parks, road sides, wherever, all the places that are getting replanted. There’s an even larger uncovered one next to it but it’s just hard to see in this photo.
Decent looking Tree Ferns, I love those things but poor old Hawaii has them(or an Aussie one) as a pretty bad weed, yay white people, planting shit where it doesn't belong.
For real, colonial arrogance was and is a huge problem for the planet. In AoNZ’s ecosystem that problem is ‘basically all the mammals’ – Including humans.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This thing?

View attachment 184214

It’s a covered plant nursery where the local council start to grow a bunch of the natives for parks, road sides, wherever, all the places that are getting replanted. There’s an even larger uncovered one next to it but it’s just hard to see in this photo. For real, colonial arrogance was and is a huge problem for the planet. In AoNZ’s ecosystem that problem is ‘basically all the mammals’ – Including humans.
That's pretty cool!

Not far from me the local council has planted Olive trees in front of houses, yeah coz Olives are natives.......
Another council has planted native Flame Trees in a park and along the kerbside where cars park, those suckers grow 6" seed pods with pointed ends.
You take one of them to the head or car roof and you'll be hurting.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well, I'm not related to Jimmy, if that's what you're getting at.
Nah, just the criticism some people give about road/mtb tyres if you can't get them onto the rim by hand without tools etc. Those people have never tried Continental GP5000 tubeless on a carbon road rim.

I've had to do the ratchet strap method to seat beads on fat bike tyres before. But if you're not even getting the tyre onto the rim I'd spend some more money on tools :D

You have a ratchet strap? I used this method on the BMW a couple times. Avons we're just stupid tight on those motorcycle wheels for whatever reason.
I did that when I was screwing around trying to get the Moonlander's stock rims to work as tubeless. While I got them to seat and inflate, a few too many instances of discovering that they had deflated while standing terminated that silliness.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nah, just the criticism some people give about road/mtb tyres if you can't get them onto the rim by hand without tools etc. Those people have never tried Continental GP5000 tubeless on a carbon road rim.

I've had to do the ratchet strap method to seat beads on fat bike tyres before. But if you're not even getting the tyre onto the rim I'd spend some more money on tools :D
Agree. I've dealt with some hard to mount tires. This is next level. It took me 15min, and I was dumping sweat, just to dismount the tire. I got one side of the tire on easily since I had the leverage of the rim itself. Second side? 15min and cuticles are peeling back on my fingers.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Agree. I've dealt with some hard to mount tires. This is next level. It took me 15min, and I was dumping sweat, just to dismount the tire. I got one side of the tire on easily since I had the leverage of the rim itself. Second side? 15min and cuticles are peeling back on my fingers.
I mean, I know this is Ridemonkey and we do things ourselves around here. But why not take them to a tire shop? I don’t piss with any other tires besides bicycles because I value my time and sanity. The 40-50 bucks it worth it to me.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Removed and capped where they stuck out into the grass area so if I ever need them again I don’t have to tunnel under the concrete.

Just not watering the lawn the last few months has saved us about $150/month, and it was still half dead and looked like crap.
$150/mo? Great googly-moogly... For better or worse, water's comparatively cheap here; we pay around $175 every 2 months for water/sewer/trash.

Our decision to install solar was primarily driven by cost, with conservation as a close secondary consideration. The potential front yard "remodel" is primarily a conservation effort, even though I know it doesn't really make a bit of difference. Less maintenance would also be great, though.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I mean, I know this is Ridemonkey and we do things ourselves around here. But why not take them to a tire shop? I don’t piss with any other tires besides bicycles because I value my time and sanity. The 40-50 bucks it worth it to me.
Kart tires can't be done at a tire shop. With tools it is very easy. Without tools it should be relatively easy - less than 2min/tire, once you figure out the process. Most kart shops would rather sell you the tool and show you how to do it than have to keep doing that type of menial work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

The Harbor Freight tire installer is actually not total garbage. I believe it's adjustable.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
$150/mo? Great googly-moogly... For better or worse, water's comparatively cheap here; we pay around $175 every 2 months for water/sewer/trash.

Our decision to install solar was primarily driven by cost, with conservation as a close secondary consideration. The potential front yard "remodel" is primarily a conservation effort, even though I know it doesn't really make a bit of difference. Less maintenance would also be great, though.
WTF? I don't think I've ever heard of a Ca water bill that cheap. You sure you're not hooked up to your neighbor's meter or something? No wonder people don't give a fuck about water conservation, I have the "cheap" water company here and it's still expensive enough to notice.

The turf isn't really the conservationist choice, even if it does save water because it doesn't add anything to the environment the way xeriscaping would. I'm sure producing the turf has an environmental cost, don't think the microplastics are an issue in my case because they should all be contained within the retaining wall and never make it to the storm drain. Having the house look good and saving me a weekend chore were the biggest factors for turf over xeri. the time saved will give me the time I need to deal with the garden and grow some veggies on the side of the house, which will at least produce something for the water they use, give my neighbor's bee hives something to snack on so I continue to get free honey I never use.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
WTF? I don't think I've ever heard of a Ca water bill that cheap. You sure you're not hooked up to your neighbor's meter or something? No wonder people don't give a fuck about water conservation, I have the "cheap" water company here and it's still expensive enough to notice.
Yeah, hence the "for better or worse" comment. Nobody in the Valley gives a shit about water conservation, partly because conservative, and partly because cheap.

Costs me I-don't-know-what to provide the electricity to run our piston pump...

1667596846097.png

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I have "free" water at the shitbox in Idaho -- the well sits on my property, electricity to pump water comes from neighbor's house.

:rockout:

Other neighbor (across the street who paid $15-20K? to dig his own well 2 summers back because the group well he was on periodically tests positive* for fecal bacteria...) literally left his hose running for the MONTH of October because he was upset about all the sediment filling his water heater etc.

:bonk:

#Drought, what drought... I suspect installing an inline filter would've done more good.

But we're all on "city" sewer which is better than drinking poopy water but expensive (~$500 of the $2K yearly property tax)

1667598732919.png

ETA: Citation for *

ETA2: How high? The highest ;)

City of Island Park:
  • The highest town in Idaho (6400 ft elevation), with an annual average of 26 inches precipitation, with much of that arriving as 190+ inches of winter snows.
  • The year-round population is around 300, with a much greater population during the summer recreation and a lesser peak for the winter snowmobile season.
  • Peak visitation occurs end of July to the first of August time-frame.
  • Known for having the longest main street in the United States - 33 miles of US Hwy 20.
  • In most places, the town is about 500 feet wide. The local lodges and resort owners incorporated the City of Island Park in 1947 primarily to circumvent Idaho liquor laws prohibiting alcohol sales outside of city limits.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hmm, I pay like $20/month for the household water consumption and maybe three fiddy more than that for irrigation of new planted trees in the yard.