Quantcast

□□□ Wednesday GMT □□□

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It's 3:30am and I'm wide awake. Snow is piling up in the mtns but no time to ski this morning. (I'd go right now if i could) and it poured rain last night so no riding today.

How's your hump day looking?
maxresdefault.jpg

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Up at 430am to do some work before work. If I can survive through Thursday, this weekend promises to be pretty awesome. At least I'm not missing out on any chance at riding given the 8 inches of rain we got Sunday-Tuesday.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
how's your face?
haha - for a second I thought you were throwing the '80s insult (at least where I grew up) "so's your face" at me for some reason. face is reaching almost acceptable levels of normality - shaved for the first time last night, which I'd been avoiding sue to both chin and upper lip being all scraped up. thx.

Coffee, hanging with one of our cooler patrons, budget meeting, phone call with colleague, plans for 4:00 beers.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hello Monkies! My disgusting hacking sickness continues, I don't catch colds often so I am a super puss when I do. Not missing too much in the way of riding due to wet spring but would like to gett to the gym as soon as the hacking cough goes away.

Also: scotch is better than cough drops, they should make scotch drops. Imageniusright?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Woooo. Group ride tonight and it looks like we'll have at least 6 dudes on bikes and one guy walking/beering with his bum shoulder.

If bike shop owner dude shows up with the e-bike that is in the store, I'm pushing both him and the bike down the cliff.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
4 year old Mariko to my wife as the latter got dressed: "mommy, when you take your bra off your nipples shake."

She had no response to that, heh.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Had a good ride home last night, with the exception of the phone making too much work noise. It annoyed me so much I had to add 4 more miles just to set the mind right. Not too sore from lifting weights tuesday morning, so I am looklng forward to doing it again tomorrow morning.

Other than that, had some late night scenic and prop requests for one of tonight's television shows, so I will be working on that stuff today. Nice to have something to do, as the Monday and Tuesday were dead.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lifted last night - chest and back. Sore, but not too bad. Strength is coming back slowly, but coming back. Down 5# in the last week, so this whole riding, lifting, minding my diet thing is working. Too cold to ride in this morning, so I missed a day's workout this week. I might need to sort out some time on the trainer tonight.

I ordered a new headlamp a few days ago, so I'm hoping to start getting in a night ride or two per week on ride days that I don't ride to work.

Other than that, work. Haley wants to go for a bike ride tonight, so that's a positive.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I'm getting pretty efficient at writing up employees. Since becoming a manager 6 months ago I think I've done at least 15 of them. I really wish people could just show up and do the job they were hired to do.

More and more every day I feel like...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you want a good laugh this morning, read the comments in this thread on Reddit. It's about United killing a record breaking rabbit. Some memorable quotes:

Regarding working in United's PR dept,
It was definitely the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who realized the rabbit died at "O'Hare" airport
You know...somewhere in United's PR department, someone just flipped a desk....

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Police are questioning baggage handler George Milton after overhearing fellow employee Lennie Small ask him to "tell me again about the rabbits, George."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Interesting meetings on my calendar, should be a meh day as planned. Rain all day yesterday meant no dog ride (she tore her poncho because her head is too fat). Chance of a ride tonight, something to look forward to. I did score tickets to DRI at Dante's since I found out the wife has never been to Dante's. While not as hip and cool as it was in my younger days, it is still a great venue and a $15 punk show with shitty pizza is a date night for sure.

Also getting gear ready since the man child said he wants to go camping for his birthday and take lil Man with us. I'm excited, he and I only went camping once when the ex and I were together, so this should be fun. I don't think lil Man has been camping yet.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Sometimes, I have nothing better to do.........

Appears the scam IRS calls are starting, and I received one yesterday. Didn't take a moment to check caller ID, and when I answered, I was told about the warrant that is out for my arrest by the caller. Feigned shock at first, then told him, in a calm manner, I knew he was a scam. This set him off, and I just went along for the ride. Finally told him to go blow himself.

All that energy wasted, and I could have ridden a mile instead.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm getting pretty efficient at writing up employees. Since becoming a manager 6 months ago I think I've done at least 15 of them. I really wish people could just show up and do the job they were hired to do.

More and more every day I feel like...
This is why some of us avoid mgmt like the plague.

That and taking management positions tends to make you dumb over time. :p

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pretty decent climbing last night. post climb beers and wings. rough start this AM, wife woke up and said she wasn't feeling well. Unfortunately that meant i was taking the kid to daycare. oof. singing wheels on the bus while quasi hungover wasn't how i wanted to start my day. was planning on WFH anyways, so meh.

On the upside, made a quick stop on the way home to get a few ingredients to make kickass breakfast burrito. best one yet:

hash brown patty
fried egg
bacon
fresh diced red onion
jalapenos
salsa
pepper jack cheese
avacado
sour cream.

meeting with the financial adviser this afternoon before picking up the kid from daycare.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pretty decent climbing last night. post climb beers and wings. rough start this AM, wife woke up and said she wasn't feeling well. Unfortunately that meant i was taking the kid to daycare. oof. singing wheels on the bus while quasi hungover wasn't how i wanted to start my day. was planning on WFH anyways, so meh.

On the upside, made a quick stop on the way home to get a few ingredients to make kickass breakfast burrito. best one yet:

hash brown patty
fried egg
bacon
fresh diced red onion
jalapenos
salsa
pepper jack cheese
avacado
sour cream.

meeting with the financial adviser this afternoon before picking up the kid from daycare.
YuNo-1.jpg

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Was in bed and asleep by 8:30 last night. Slept really well, for me anyway, until the wife slammed the shower door at 5 this morning. Scared the shit out of me and at least one of the dogs. Never really got back to sleep after that. Probably took my heart rate ten minutes to come back down. Beautiful spring morning here. Hard frost/ice on things earlier, but my run was perfect. Post run breakfast was left over pizza and mac and cheese. Take that arteries!
Too cold to ride in this morning
Suck it up nancy.

Regarding working in United's PR dept,
Assuming United has a PR department.

:rofl:
United breaks guitars, faces, rabbits...it's like the airline version of "Will it Blend?"

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is why some of us avoid mgmt like the plague.

That and taking management positions tends to make you dumb over time. :p
A new thing this year is a management level pay grade for non management "expert" level engineers. This allows engineers the ability to make moar without "managing" anything. :rofl:

I have a few years before I hit the max at my grade, but it's nice to know there is another step.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
A new thing this year is a management level pay grade for non management "expert" level engineers. This allows engineers the ability to make moar without "managing" anything. :rofl:

I have a few years before I hit the max at my grade, but it's nice to know there is another step.
Yeah - my former employer had a "technical fellow" position that gave introverted technical people a path to more $$ without heading into management.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today is the first day I feel more alive than dead since coming down with this sickness this past Thursday.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my company is structured similarly. "management" tract and "technical" tract (engineering functions only really). it's harder to hit the same pay grades on the technical side, but once you do it's also harder for them to terminate you if you were a manager at the same pay grade.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah - my former employer had a "technical fellow" position that gave introverted technical people a path to more $$ without heading into management.
The good managers I have known were sh!t engineers. I like to consider myself too competent for management, but that could be just what I keep telling myself. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my company is structured similarly. "management" tract and "technical" tract (engineering functions only really). it's harder to hit the same pay grades on the technical side, but once you do it's also harder for them to terminate you if you were a manager at the same pay grade.
I think that is similar to what they are trying to do here. Right now the senior engineers just move teams every few years to keep working, but for no additional pay. They just recently ditched the "supervisor" title that was title only, but thought of as being next in line to assume manager and created a pay scale instead.

I'm a technician, not a MSCPPTP (Microsoft Certified Power Point Professional).