Quantcast

□□□ Wednesday GMT □□□

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
pretty decent climbing last night. post climb beers and wings. rough start this AM, wife woke up and said she wasn't feeling well. Unfortunately that meant i was taking the kid to daycare. oof. singing wheels on the bus while quasi hungover wasn't how i wanted to start my day. was planning on WFH anyways, so meh.

On the upside, made a quick stop on the way home to get a few ingredients to make kickass breakfast burrito. best one yet:

hash brown patty
fried egg
bacon
fresh diced red onion
jalapenos
salsa
pepper jack cheese
avacado
sour cream.

meeting with the financial adviser this afternoon before picking up the kid from daycare.
Call me if you want.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And onto coffee NUMBA TREE.

The ground is looking moist out there, which should be perfect for tonight's ride. I can't wait to hear the sounds of 3612 knobby tires blowing through the rox.

:edit: this thing just rolled up outside my office...

:banana:

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Home for lunch... I know no one reads my posts but I will try again anyway. Management is not about competence in anything other than getting other people to meet company objectives, timelines, standards or whatever process they are tasked with managing.

I can guarantee being evaluated for your personal results is less stressful than being evaluated on the results you achieve through others. There's always someone who rejects their role in the corporate structure and is convinced they are better equipped to make decisions and get things done in a manner that is more personally gratifying than what their manager has come up with.

Usually engineers, IT techs and software developers, amiright?

Anyhow people are more complicated than numbers, graphs and formulas... if managing them were easy everyone would have a "good" manager.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Last day in America was celebrated with a big ass BBQ lunch and some Kentucky Bourbon Ale. I still have a hard time sitting down. Can't stop a little sadness creeping in.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Last day in America was celebrated with a big ass BBQ lunch and some Kentucky Bourbon Ale. I still have a hard time sitting down. Can't stop a little sadness creeping in.
Claus ... dude ... on behalf of all of us American :monkey:s let me say GOOD LUCK with the new chapter! I hope the move goes smoothly and I'm sure you'll be working way too hard soon enough. :thumb:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Claus ... dude ... on behalf of all of us American :monkey:s let me say GOOD LUCK with the new chapter! I hope the move goes smoothly and I'm sure you'll be working way too hard soon enough. :thumb:
Thanks Nick!

This is my 3rd work/live stay in the US and I have spend around half my life and I will miss a lot of things but now I can just come and visit and enjoy all the best parts :-) And I was on Ridemonkey before I left the US and I still have all you fuckers to keep me update with is on the mind of middle age bike nerds.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Afternoon.

Good result to a shitty week in the "Getting-my-kid-back-in-school" department. He visited the counselor and set up some elective classes he wanted to be in. We will see what tomorrow morning brings, its been an ulser causing fiasco so far...

Going shopping for a saddle for the roadie today, trying to eliminate dead-dick-syndrom that I've been having during the longer rides, suspect the extra 30lbs I'm carrying these days has caused my worn saddle to become an issue. As much fun as genital pins and needles can be, I need to get on this before any permanent issues arise.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I ran one of this for a while, but the sit bone was pretty narrow. What I ended up doing was going to a Specialized dealer to have them measure my sit and get a saddle width to work with. Once you have that, you can call around for demo saddles at or around that width. Most high end shops will have multiple width saddles for demo.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I read.

That sounds about right!

I also have a great manager.
:stupid:

IMO, a good manager has faith in the folks that work for them, will back them up when needed, and will remove roadblocks when presented. Allow me to do my job as free of distractions as possible and with the tools I need to do it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:stupid:

IMO, a good manager has faith in the folks that work for them, will back them up when needed, and will remove roadblocks when presented. Allow me to do my job as free of distractions as possible and with the tools I need to do it.
aka. Give you enough rope to hang yourself and pull you back before you do such.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Bailed on work because can't stop coughing, made a doctors appointment for tomorrow morning to get prescription for cough medicine that actually works. I'm a total pusy when sick.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I prefer empowerment, the opportunity to succeed is exactly the same as the opportunity to fail.
Agreed.

I am being moved to a group where I will be much more empowered. The culture here has an overall fear of failure because failure = fired, or so everyone thinks (maybe that's how it works). But in technology, fear of failure = fear of success. The concept of failing fast, or falling forward is foreign here and that needs to change.

<edit> And if anyone knows about failing, it's me. :rofl:

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my manager just got let go...i did a great job while shebwas here; i'll do a good job without her. ain't nobody got time for that shit.

DUDE. you couldn't have hung on until May 8-10 when I'll be in NY? Who am Ingonna drink stouts with now????? (remind me of the name of that bar we went to?)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I get to have a fun conversation with my manager in the next few days. Wifey's gma died a few months ago but there was no funeral/remembrance because they needed to sort out when everybody could be there and when they could get a location. The event will be in July. I have 5 days of bereavement time that is to be taken as a block. Our team is pretty thinly staffed and one of the other guys on my team just took the two weeks around the weekend off.

Our policy is only one person off at time and this will force two. As it is bereavement, it's an HR required thing. So even if (realistically when) he throws a fit and fights it, HR will likely be getting involved. This is going to be no fun, as he's getting shit on by our director, which flows down to us. He's usually pretty cool about stuff, but this is going to be shitty.

One a totally different note, my headlamp showed up and I asked Wifey to charge it for me so I can go ride tonight. After multiple emails about how to charge it, I get this:
Wifey said:
And that sh#t is bright. I just about blinded myself.
I damn near pee'd myself laughing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2200 lumens (2300 peak then 2200 sustained) really spoils ya. 800 from my other light seems almost... faulty now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Kentucky Bourbon Ale.
:drool:

Seriously, after having that whiskey barrel stout a few weekends back, my tastebuds experienced a whole new level of awesome. It's like the Reese's peanut butter cup of beers, two great tastes that are just amazing together.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Detained entering the US. Took my phone. Personal belongings laptop. Illegal search and seizure. Denied me access to counsel. Big dent in the side of my vehicle. Towed my car and then denied me access to it. Failed to adjudicate my status.... Pain and suffering....