Quantcast

☆☆☆ Weekend Day Numero Uno ☆☆☆

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
are wiltons nice? this thing is bolted in a horrible location on the workbench in our garage...
View attachment 189182
Vintage Wiltons, like the bullet styles @boostindoubles posted, still command top dollar and are highly sought after. They also sell cheaper, Wilton branded imports that are suitable for home use. They really span the gamut. Wanna spend $1,500 on a vice? They've got you covered. Wanna spend $80? They've got you covered too.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I couldn't believe my luck when I found that bullet vise. Legendary USA made stuff! After paying for the powder coat I can still sell it for a profit but finding one to replace it would be costly.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I couldn't believe my luck when I found that bullet vise. Legendary USA made stuff! After paying for the powder coat I can still sell it for a profit but finding one to replace it would be costly.
I paid $350 for a 5" jaw, 1947 Wilton model 1750. The C-series go for even more. Yours looks like a model 1740? You could probably sell it for $300'ish if you were ever so inclined.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah ours is like that but is an 8“, it's only a Taiwanese or Chinese one but it seems decent.
New cheaper ones seem to mostly have really corse threads so you get SFA clamping force.
These aren't pipe clamp types but it's still interesting for nerds-

I have a Record at home, it's okay but no better than a decent Chinese one.
Kind of want one of these to crush shit, which was one of my favorite hobbies as a kid with my father's vice.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Kind of want one of these to crush shit, which was one of my favorite hobbies as a kid with my father's vice.

I used my dad's vise to hold model rocket engines while I cut them open with a hack saw so I could make my own fireworks. Blowing shit up was one of my favorite hobbies as a kid. And hobby stores in the early 80s sold all kinds of stuff they can't sell now. Can you get a roll of green waterproof fuse at Hobby Lobby or all the raw ingredients to make gunpowder ?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sounds romantic
Not really, but it's a good cause. Raised a ton of money.

<edit> see how well this goes over. I like the community support and things they generally do, but there is a lot of MAGA in the room. I usually keep to myself, but not sure how long I can go.

Last edited: