Quantcast

☆☆☆Friday GMT☆☆☆

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I can't give advice with this, so I'll let Toshi do the educating here. His points are accurate. I like Personal Capital's retirement planning tools, as they are free and their projections are much in line with what we use here: looking at investing for income generation in retirement. That's what really matters - having enough to live off or know how much you can so as to not run out.

**without knowing the Lifecycle fund, having only 15% fixed income is NOT moderate-low.
I have a decent pension plan as well as a 401K match, I took all my information to D A Davidson on Wednesday, they will get back with me in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they are taking information security more seriously now.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> When I asked in the past they said it was usually cheap, loud, obnoxious brits that were mountainbikers, but that was like 15 years ago. I wonder if the scene has changed, and whether CWX attacts a different crowd...
Fucking pompous French. I bet it was a bunch of drunk, friendly blokes. And who isn't cheap? I mean besides Midge.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I majored in Finance in college with a minor in Econ. Pay no attention to the fact that I never used these degrees professionally. :homer:
I majored in college in anthropology and also, have never used that degree professionally. :nerd:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What was your plan with that one? I was gonna move to Chicago and become a tycoon. Then I realized that long hair was no bueno and suits were required. Fuck that.
Trying to go pro, while banging bitches and sucking off my parent's financial teet basically.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I wonder how many people actually wind up working in the field they studied in. I'm quite lucky... majored in geography, studying environment and urban issues. I have been working in those two fields since I graduated. My wife studied development economics, and that's essentially what she works in. I feel like we're both lucky to be in our chosen fields...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I wonder how many people actually wind up working in the field they studied in. I'm quite lucky... majored in geography, studying environment and urban issues. I have been working in those two fields since I graduated. My wife studied development economics, and that's essentially what she works in. I feel like we're both lucky to be in our chosen fields...
I feel I am lucky to NOT be in my field of study. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I use both my undergraduate and graduate degrees as part of my job.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i work in the field my degree is in, because that's how you get a job in that field.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My intern a few years ago majored in Political Science and was also involved in drama which he thought would be handy for speech writing, I thought who the fuck recruits these guys? No screening? He was a great little yes boy who followed direction well.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Working from home is a treat. I've just finished steaming another batch of raw peanuts, they are delish. :cupidarrow:

Also visited my dental surgeon for a consultation about some implant work and it looks like I'll be paying almost more than what monkeys here paid for their dentist bikes recently - combined. :panic:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got my AS in Electronics so I had something on my resume and had my first job as a game tech before moving into computers. After 5 years in software (and a bubble burst) I had to go back to school for my BSCS so I had paper that said I had an idea of what I am doing.

Been doing software for 20 years now with a short stint as a tow truck driver in the middle. I make good money, but both my degrees were expensive. The wifey makes almost as much as I do with only 3 years of school (dental hygiene) and a whole lot less in student loans. But she also works a hell of a lot harder than I do. (I couldn't be in other peoples mouths all day, ugh).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I got my AS in Electronics so I had something on my resume and had my first job as a game tech before moving into computers. After 5 years in software (and a bubble burst) I had to go back to school for my BSCS so I had paper that said I had an idea of what I am doing.

Been doing software for 20 years now with a short stint as a tow truck driver in the middle. I make good money, but both my degrees were expensive. The wifey makes almost as much as I do with only 3 years of school (dental hygiene) and a whole lot less in student loans. But she also works a hell of a lot harder than I do. (I couldn't be in other peoples mouths all day, ugh).
Being in someone else's mouth all day has certainly worked out well for Ron Jeremy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No shit. I studied Poli-Sci. Holy nightmare career.
My sister did that. Bachelors from UCSB, no jobs. Masters from Boston College, no jobs. PhD from UCLA, job writing for CBS and LA Times before finally landing a teaching gig in New York. Her and her husband both teach Poli-Sci in New York and make very good coin (no kids). But it took them both getting PhD's and teaching other no-career having folks to do it. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Self-set low quota of work has been fulfilled. Time to flee the coop/office, grab some lunch, go grab that Yeti, and then regroup at the house to prepare to walk the 5 blocks with the kids to Food Truck Friday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It is currently 98F at the local DH hill. I'm thinking the clay dirt is dry now up there. Looks like a dusty DH day is in store for tomorrow. :D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yesterday we compared our mortgages, today is about our education and wealth mis-management strategies, what comes tomorrow - cup sizes of our better halves? :think: