Quantcast

♢◆♢Wednesday GMT♢◆♢

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good morning Monkies! I am headed to Cardwell, MT to ride the Curly Highline trail with @Montana rider and guy looking to check it off his bucket list. He rides an Ibis Mojo which is on my bucket list. I hope its crabon with an apropriate dentist level kit. Might be smokey but hopefully the afternoon winds will clear it out.

Have a super productive day!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
The boy is on a 4am wake up schedule and it is slowly wearing me down. I'd let him cry until a normal hour but it wakes up the other kid and all hell breaks loose.

On the bright side, I've been very productive now that I'm not wasting my time with all that sleep stuff...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
last day before it gets stupid hot here again. low 90s today then four days of temps over 110 are forecasted . Enough of this shit. Even where I am going backpacking will be warm. Had to swap out to my 40* sleeping bag and even that is going to be hot to sleep in.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Howdy.

Last nights ride was fast. It was mostly down by a river, so at points I was inhaling swarms of bugs. There also seemed to be copious amounts of reefer being smoked on the path. If I had known is was that type of night, I would have brought something to pass around to all the dog walkers. :rofl:

I'm thinking that I give the shoulder another week and then I'm bringing out the trail bike.

I've also concluded that every town should have a paved pumptrack. How awesome would this be in your backyard...

Meh. Fall is here.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Hitting the road after work tonight to get part of the drive out of the way. Beelining it for MT so we can pick up the Beartooth Highway and take that south into Yellowstone. Just have 11 hours and 3 meetings to get out of the way first.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
kids back in school: GOOD
cooler temps / fall is coming: GOOD
rainy weekend forecast for family gathering in the mtns this weekend: BAD
coffee in hand: GOOD
plans for beers at lunch: GOOD
possibility of a fuckit friday next week: GOOD

kick some ass today, whatever you're doing

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!

I almost stepped on a permitting landmine this morning with one of our sign projects. Something told me to review the documents for some reason and I noticed discrepancies between what we applied for, and what they had coded it for on the scope of work. That would have been a mess to deal with had that gone further.

I feel like I pretty much just walked into a corner of the house yesterday after work and plugged myself into a charger, then unplugged this morning and walked out. Stop the world, I wanna quit spinning before I vomit all over everyone.

Choose to be the level-headed person in the situation today.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I almost stepped on a permitting landmine this morning with one of our sign projects. Something told me to review the documents for some reason and I noticed discrepancies between what we applied for, and what they had coded it for on the scope of work. That would have been a mess to deal with had that gone further.
you sir, have earned yourself a beer!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
100 degrees and 60% humidity today. FML. My wife is leaving for Cabo tonight through Monday for her sister's 30th, so I get both kids to myself on the hottest weekend of the year. Awesome. Oh, and my freaking electrical bill was $500. Extra kick in the nuts.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:rockout:

Outstanding parts for the Pedalhead will be in this afternoon. Everything but a droopy pole, but that'll have to wait.
Hope to have a hot shakedown ride this evening.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
. Oh, and my freaking electrical bill was $500.
the first winter in our house here in PA we had one month at $600. it was a reasonably cold winter. but the people who flipped the house before we bought it decided to take out oil heat (which i'm ok with) and put in an electric heat pump (which was fvcking stupid).

this was the first and last winter as the heat pump as our primary heat source.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
hello.

Better start today. Group pride tonight maybe if the ash and smoke subsides. Apparently wildfire at Washingtons north border is adding to the already steady smoke show that is B.C. this year.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. FTS is high. I'm going to the cafeteria to get eggs and bacon now.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We're getting ready to remodel some stuff on the house, which is going to include a newer A/C unit, which should be way more efficient as well as insulation. Our house was built in '54, so it's literally sticks and drywall. We get killed in the summer. Add in having a pool pump running for the pool means never being in the discounted low use tiers. We are seriously considering solar...actually looking into the Tesla roof tiles. It's only usually bad a few months out of the year though, the rest of the time it's less than $150.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We used to have $500/month fuel oil bills in New York, for a shitty ~1600 sq ft house. The shitty part is key: no insulation will do that to ya.

Even with Denver's heat and cold and my wife's desire to have the house at 69-71 degrees at all hours of the day we are in the $100-200 range each month, because the magic of R-38 walls, R-50 roof. Denver house is over twice as big as the New York one, too, with higher ceilings/more conditioned volume to boot.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We used to have $500/month fuel oil bills in New York, for a shitty ~1600 sq ft house. The shitty part is key: no insulation will do that to ya.

Even with Denver's heat and cold and my wife's desire to have the house at 69-71 degrees at all hours of the day we are in the $100-200 range each month, because the magic of R-38 walls, R-50 roof. Denver house is over twice as big as the New York one, too, with higher ceilings/more conditioned volume to boot.
That's good to know, because we literally have no insulation, in the walls or roof. Definitely will be getting the roof done and seriously considering having the walls blown in at the same time. Also on a raised foundation.

@Toshi, you done any research or have any info on the Tesla solar roofs? Seems sort of bleeding edge, but we might be in the perfect spot to do it, since we are going to have the entire house re-roofed after our remodel.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Couldn't find my belt for the longest time this morning, and I didn't even drink last night. Brother is in town for a restaurant that caught fire. We may go ride Rampart this afternoon. He's gonna kill my fat ass.

:stupid:
Any time spent working on cars is wasted time, unless it's actually your job. Even then it's questionable.

Choose to be the level-headed person in the situation today.
How dare you!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@Toshi, you done any research or have any info on the Tesla solar roofs? Seems sort of bleeding edge, but we might be in the perfect spot to do it, since we are going to have the entire house re-roofed after our remodel.
I've looked a little into this. It's going to require some math on your part to determine if its viable for you. You going to have to front a pretty big chunk of change most likely, but if you are planning on staying in the house long term it might be a good idea. They are apparently pretty heavy, so structural issues may pop up. Teslas website has a calsulator thingy to help get you started. If you're even thinking about it, might want to get the ball rolling, it could take them a while. Don't know about california, but here, state incentives and the like roll out at the first of every year and there are a limited amount, so one wants to be ready and standing in line. I understand Edison/California are starting to get harder to work with when it comes to solar installations.

All that said, I'm waiting for the next hail storm to trash my roof so that I can get Allstate to pay for a big chunk of my Tesla roof. :D

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, I had like a 30 minute conversation with a rep. It's basically a $1000 fully-refundable deposit at any time before you sign the contract. Prior to that, they come out and perform an assessment, go over the percentage of solar tiles needed, how the install works and all that. I was told that California is one of the first places getting installed, so it might work out, the only difficult part would be seeing if we could make it work with our timeline. Construction starts probably in January and should take 4-5 months, so it would have to reasonably fit in that window.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's good to know, because we literally have no insulation, in the walls or roof. Definitely will be getting the roof done and seriously considering having the walls blown in at the same time. Also on a raised foundation.

I forgot to mention we also have 2.6 kW solar on the roof. That helps a bit, too, but only $30-50 or so.

From what I've read the Tesla roofs are comparable to a standard PV + tile roof option... but if you were planning on asphalt shingles like 99% of us then it'd be more expensive than asphalt + PV. Whatever you do don't do a leased solar setup through SolarCity. Buy outright.