Quantcast

♢◆♢Wednesday GMT♢◆♢

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We used to have $500/month fuel oil bills in New York, for a shitty ~1600 sq ft house. The shitty part is key: no insulation will do that to ya.

Even with Denver's heat and cold and my wife's desire to have the house at 69-71 degrees at all hours of the day we are in the $100-200 range each month, because the magic of R-38 walls, R-50 roof. Denver house is over twice as big as the New York one, too, with higher ceilings/more conditioned volume to boot.
WHAT! I hold at 77* auto on/off during the summer 72* auto on/off during the winter.

We're around $800 for the year for gas and electricity and it should stay below $1200 for the total year ($100/m). Our electricity cost is higher in the summer (pay as we produce with the solar panels, but it offsets the winter usage), but virtually no gas usage in the summer.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
yea but mine is an alu 26" hardtail. you can't get much more obsolete.
This is a 2007 575 for the woman. Shit looks less used than either of my bikes. Total score.

Stripped it down last night, got a few odds and ends coming in Friday (tires, pedals, cables, grips).

Just need to pull the fork lowers, paint/clear and put on new stickers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We used to have $500/month fuel oil bills in New York, for a shitty ~1600 sq ft house. The shitty part is key: no insulation will do that to ya.

Even with Denver's heat and cold and my wife's desire to have the house at 69-71 degrees at all hours of the day we are in the $100-200 range each month, because the magic of R-38 walls, R-50 roof. Denver house is over twice as big as the New York one, too, with higher ceilings/more conditioned volume to boot.
Eectricity bills in my new place are 4 times that of the house I was renting. I am totally perplexed on how this is happening. I have only lived here in the summer months so heating isn't an issue. I run the AC a few hours in the evening on a few rare occasions. I have been closely monitoring my usage for the past week, most of which I was home during the days so usage should have been higher than when working, Las weeks daily average usage is half of what my average billed usage is. No idea what the hell could have been consuming so much. I did find out that my current fridge and hot water heater are pretty inefficient.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yea, I had like a 30 minute conversation with a rep. It's basically a $1000 fully-refundable deposit at any time before you sign the contract. Prior to that, they come out and perform an assessment, go over the percentage of solar tiles needed, how the install works and all that. I was told that California is one of the first places getting installed, so it might work out, the only difficult part would be seeing if we could make it work with our timeline. Construction starts probably in January and should take 4-5 months, so it would have to reasonably fit in that window.
Keep us up to date if you go through with it. I'm quite keen to do this, though not keen enough to pay money to replace a perfectly good, 2 year old roof.

Eectricity bills in my new place are 4 times that of the house I was renting. I am totally perplexed on how this is happening. I have only lived here in the summer months so heating isn't an issue. I run the AC a few hours in the evening on a few rare occasions. I have been closely monitoring my usage for the past week, most of which I was home during the days so usage should have been higher than when working, Las weeks daily average usage is half of what my average billed usage is. No idea what the hell could have been consuming so much. I did find out that my current fridge and hot water heater are pretty inefficient.
Meth heads are stealing yo juice. :tinfoil:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
This is a 2007 575 for the woman. Shit looks less used than either of my bikes. Total score.

Stripped it down last night, got a few odds and ends coming in Friday (tires, pedals, cables, grips).

Just need to pull the fork lowers, paint/clear and put on new stickers.
I was hoping Yeti = house. Or Yeti = plane ticket to Denver to ride bikes with your BFFL.

Always finding new ways to disappoint me. It's like a bottomless well of hurt. :cray:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WHAT! I hold at 77* auto on/off during the summer 72* auto on/off during the winter.

We're around $800 for the year for gas and electricity and it should stay below $1200 for the total year ($100/m). Our electricity cost is higher in the summer (pay as we produce with the solar panels, but it offsets the winter usage), but virtually no gas usage in the summer.
It is very comfortable all the time, I'll grant her that. I'm ok with the extra $100/month for the :monoclelife: . I did know this was going to be the case so made sure to spring for the 21 SEER AC unit and dual stage furnace fan.

Neighbors have a pot grow and have tapped into your lines.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mornin!

Hitting the road after work tonight to get part of the drive out of the way. Beelining it for MT so we can pick up the Beartooth Highway and take that south into Yellowstone. Just have 11 hours and 3 meetings to get out of the way first.
Hey, I don't have any tips for that zone of the park. Are you going to be in the JXN region at all? I can suggest a few hikes down here, and there is some good non fs camping on Shadow Mountain near GTNP. For grip in JXN it depends what you like, LOTS of great restaurants. My current fave is Teton Tiger (Indian/pan Asian). Let me know more of your itinerary.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hey, I don't have any tips for that zone of the park. Are you going to be in the JXN region at all? I can suggest a few hikes down here, and there is some good non fs camping on Shadow Mountain near GTNP. For grip in JXN it depends what you like, LOTS of great restaurants. My current fave is Teton Tiger (Indian/pan Asian). Let me know more of your itinerary.
Gonna head up to MT tonight/tomorrow, spend 3 or so days wandering and making our way down through Yellowstone and another 3 or so days wandering and making our way down through the Tetons with some amount of that time spent in and around Jackson Hole. So whatever suggestions you have for that area would be much appreciated, I know next to nothing about where to stay or what to do.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Wouldn't surprise me, but they must know I am on to them and have shut it down.
Do you have an amp meter to play with? Should be able to trace lines to the culprit...

Harvest is happening. Truck driver herding begins. Kiddo started school today. Only for an hour a day the first week... It feels like parent training more than anything. At least the pretentious spandex is out and snubbing their noses at everything.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you have an amp meter to play with? Should be able to trace lines to the culprit...

Harvest is happening. Truck driver herding begins. Kiddo started school today. Only for an hour a day the first week... It feels like parent training more than anything. At least the pretentious spandex is out and snubbing their noses at everything.
I do have a ampmeter, also picked up a plug in power meter. I made up a spreadsheet of how much power and total energy is used for the dishwasher and all other appliances. No big consumer. But I also have not seen the high usage. What makes me a bit nervous is that there is a chance I have an intermittent short somewhere. Some of the wiring in the house is over 100 years old.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Most of the wiring and panel was done sometime in the late '50s. Some original knob and tube going to ceiling lights. Basically everything easily accessible through from the basement was replaced.
Did you check to see if they're billing the same rates??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did you check to see if they're billing the same rates??
Yes, and I am actually looking at the kWh usage. Average of 22kWh per day for a small two bedroom house with one person. I would expect it to be a little more here as I have an electric hot water heater vs a NG unit. But a shower uses only 1kWh with an additional kWh for maintaining temp throughout the day.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Went out to do a 18 mile ride, got turned around before my favorite descent by a belligerent swamp donkey that was having none of it. They often ruin my trail fun, the mangy fuckers.