Quantcast

♢♢♢Thursday GMT♢♢♢

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
On a positive note, Mrs. Dirtrider just bought a new Subaru Outback with all that fancy shit on it. Might take it out Saturday morning and test the AWD/goodies and go fly fishing in the copious amounts of snow. Ehh, probably not because some hilljack in a jacked up F-950 p/u will realize his truck doesn't necessarily stop on snow like it does on pavement..damn i get angry when snow comes to the south❄

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Holy shit:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/05/arapahoe-basin-chairlift-rescue/

The guy on the wire was in the chair behind and happened to be both a part time ski instructor and a professional slackliner, so he was able to shimmy down the wire and cut the guy hanging haplessly from his backpack down. The guy hanging there is some idiot who didn't unload, somehow dodged the bar that'd have stopped the lift automatically, slipped off, then almost was hung from his backpack.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tire rack will show you what size wheels will work.
I did check that, they show factory size, down 1 and down 2.

I have a set of studs unmounted I need to get rid of. If you were closer, it would save me the craigslist (came off a earlier Impreza). :rofl:
I'm looking for studless but otherwise would consider if closer.

Factory size my friend, factory size. Always the best option. If you tried downsizing your wheels in this one your wheel will be on the calipers
I was googling and got pointed to the nasioc forums, one guy actually got a set of winter wheels from the dealer when he purchased, and they were 1 size down. Further research seems to indicate that's actually what Subaru recommends for my particular trim level. Also...

NASIOC-via-Google says that base 2013 Imprezas had 15" wheels so that should work just fine. 195/65/15 Nokians on steelies would be my suggestion:

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

Discount Tire carries Nokian if you don't have other local dealers.

Absolutely right. Base model Impreza ('12+) has 15", premium is 16", and limited (what I have) is 17". Brake calipers don't change until the WRX.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I did check that, they show factory size, down 1 and down 2.

I'm looking for studless but otherwise would consider if closer.

I was googling and got pointed to the nasioc forums, one guy actually got a set of winter wheels from the dealer when he purchased, and they were 1 size down. Further research seems to indicate that's actually what Subaru recommends for my particular trim level. Also...

Absolutely right. Base model Impreza ('12+) has 15", premium is 16", and limited (what I have) is 17". Brake calipers don't change until the WRX.
Size down. I have run steelies and Blizzaks since we moved here. Totally worth the second set.
The M goes from 18x8.5f/9.5r to 17x8 on Blizzaks; Subie from 17" to 16"; the old Subie was 18" to 16". Only the Infiniti stays at the same wheelsize, as we swap the tires over because they don't make steelies in 20".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was all ready to rock steelies on my Land Cruiser but then I found out that steelies aren't that cheap at all. Instead I picked up OEM Tundra wheels (same bolt pattern and bore, clearly) in the stock 18" diameter for something stupidly cheap like $450 shipped. I heartily endorse the second set of wheels/tires approach, though.

If you get the tires through Discount Tire they'll even mount/remount the extra wheels gratis each season. This isn't a huge deal but not having to jack each corner up and bust out the impact driver is quite nice.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you get the tires through Discount Tire they'll even mount/remount the extra wheels gratis each season. This isn't a huge deal but not having to jack each corner up and bust out the impact driver is quite nice.
The M is on studs now because some of the threads were chewed up. They won't work off aftermarket studs. Kind of annoying.