Quantcast

♢♢♢Wednesday Weather Alert GMT♢♢♢

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies, it minus 2 here now which is our hih for the day, wiil be 4 below by afternoon. With the windchill a jacket will be needed.

I missed the 5AM gym crowd so now I will risk it 6AM...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
13 hour work day last night and didn't get out of here until 9:45. Now I'm tired and groggy and am having a hard time focusing. Cubicle work sure is hard.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Only got a dusting of snow but it is indeed cold as balls. Thus another day in the gas-mobile.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Only got a dusting of snow but it is indeed cold as balls. Thus another day in the gas-mobile.
Probably 5 inches up here, not sure if neighborhood plough was back from the shop or not. Should be interesting shortly when people start to leave for work.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Dog nosed me awake last night around 3am. Given that the last time she did this and I ignored her she shat all over the carpet and the stench woke me up. This time I got up to let her out. Good pooch.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Got an inch of snow last night but was mostly melted by morning.

Also... I think the header of this thread is wrong because today is feeling more like a Monday than Wednesday.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Went to my company Xmas party last night. Tired today. I am not used to staying up past 10 anymore.
I did borrow my brothers fat bike before the party and had a snowy woods pre-party good time before I went. It was very fun and I need to make one happen ASAP.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cold. About 3" on the ground this morning and it's still coming down at the office.

Drove the Infiniti to the gym this morning. The AWD is good, but hard a/s tires are not. Winters are scheduled to go on next Friday when Wifey can get to the shop. I need to get both the Subie and BMW up to put winters and cold weather oil into them - 10w-60 is not what one would define as good cold weather oil in the BMW.

Swam 1000yds this morning. Warmup, 10x50 sprints, warmdown. Good workout, good burn. Now work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Cold, cold, cold. Supposed to snow tonight/tomorrow and last night was the first freeze in 320 days or some sh!t. It was a record, thanks Obama.

Riding the bus all week, so tomorrow should be fun.

In other news: Bike computer for trainer use? I am thinking about putting a basic wired rear setup on the wifes rig so she can get an idea of how shes spinning. The Cateye Strada cadence with crank arm magnet? Monkey thoughts?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mine gets covered up and sleeps in the garage til spring. <3
Mine sort of does. I have my trainer setup in the garage, so it gets parked in the driveway with the Subaru on the street. Winters do go on, just in case. I might need to get a battery trickle charger though.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
Mine sort of does. I have my trainer setup in the garage, so it gets parked in the driveway with the Subaru on the street. Winters do go on, just in case. I might need to get a battery trickle charger though.
Yeah I have battery tenders on my M3 and my motorcycle, they don't move til the salt is off the road and there's no more snow. :)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Got maybe 1/2 inch of snow last night. More than a "dusting", but not really enough to do anything with. This morning was supposed to be long run day, but between the snow, the fact that it's still only 9 degrees, and the moderate hangover I'm nursing, the call of flannel sheets was too strong and I stayed in bed. Contemplating what I will do with the rest of my day that doesn't involve going outside.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah I have battery tenders on my M3 and my motorcycle, they don't move til the salt is off the road and there's no more snow. :)
10w-60 @ $12/qt. Bane of my existence. BMW says I can get away with 5w-30 synthetic, but only for cold and daily driving. Long or "spirited" driving needs to be 10w-60.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
10w-60 @ $12/qt. Bane of my existence. BMW says I can get away with 5w-30 synthetic, but only for cold and daily driving. Long or "spirited" driving needs to be 10w-60.
Yeah I still pony up for the that TWS 10w-60 too. Before I moved up northerly I used to track my car all the time, I went through a lotta oil and tires.. :o

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Save your $$$, oil change is overrated.

This engine was still going strong after $83k miles without oil change. German engineering FTW!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I believe our resident doc recommends aerobic exercises with spouse? :brows:
I don't believe for ONE effing second that our good doc gets any "aerobic" exercise from that particular activity. :D
I've checked my heart rate after the fact with my Garmin since I'm a nerd like that and it is indeed aerobic. TMYK. :D

The initial weight is for the viscosity when cold, right? Why bother when it's just 5 vs 10? 30 vs 60 is once the oil is warm anyway...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
First number, as tested at 0degrees, flowing very thick, second number, as tested at 100 degrees..... second number far more important. 5w30 flows half as thick as the 10w60 at 100 degrees. If the engine was designed around the thicker oil then you will cause faster wear with the thinner oil. Also, if it's designed around the thinner oil the same will happen but from bearing washout out instead of bearing contact