Quantcast

♣♣♣♣ Tues-of-the-Derp ôôôô

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That's a quality itinerary... and now has me curious about these "Falcon Flow" and "Eagle Eye" trails... :think:
Yeah me too... they're brand new. Looks like one could ride them both together, connected by descending the OG Porcupine Rim climb. Eagle Eye starts above the OG trailhead, just below the LPS put in. So ride that to Lazy Man's, up Lazy man's then down Porc climb, pop out on Sand Flats for a wee bit, then Falcon Flow. Can be ridden as a loop with what looks to be ~6 miles of Sand Flats Rd. But also, we're camping way north of town out by Klondike and hear that traffic is murderous so we might not get to this. But also also we're only there for four (4) days so it would mean doubling up on rides. Which is maybe doable? But some of those we have planned are pretty stout to begin with, so we'll see.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Back to back to back to back to back meeting todays.

I can finally go for a poop!

<insert> So many meetings that during one meeting, we said we'd create more meetings to go over in fine detail some of the points from the current meeting!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This alone is enough to justify getting new wheels. Keep as little shit between your wheels and hubs as possible.
Just because I know the answer doesn't mean I want to hear the answer. Dammit!

:popcorn:

How much is a driveline swap? Just saying. :busted:

Few axles here, few brakes there, new transmission. Boom, before ya know it, that big turbo has been plumbed in. :D
Getting the alignment done today talking to the guy who runs the shop and he's like "you know, we've gotten those up to just under 300tq with no issues around the transmission... and it's pretty easy to get it there too." And when I got it back the only comment from the alignment tech was "I would definitely put on the adjustable lower control arms to get the camber adjustment for the rear. Gives us a lot more to play with to balance the front and rear."

Totally a "not saying you should, but you totally should" conversation.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm just helping you make the right decision. It's for the safety of your beautiful girls!
On a different (but same topic), I just accidentally discovered that my gen Forester has paddle shifters in JAP/AUS markets and accordingly have parts to make said cars here work the same way. And it's a plug & play kit for $250 shipped from Japan. I mean, really far down the list, but a novelty for sure.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I was also informed I should have this removed at some point....

20210420_155539.jpg

don't wanna say goodbye to my little rhorshach buddy....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
On a different (but same topic), I just accidentally discovered that my gen Forester has paddle shifters in JAP/AUS markets and accordingly have parts to make said cars here work the same way. And it's a plug & play kit for $250 shipped from Japan. I mean, really far down the list, but a novelty for sure.
99% sure new wheels can't work without them.....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Our Crosstrek has paddle shifters.

Haven't touched them in about 5 years.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Your Subbie is an automatic? I'll stick to rowing my gears, thanks.

I test drove a C6 Grand Sport that was auto with paddles. Awful.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nobody called into my 3pm meeting, I decided to fuck off work and take my kid mountain biking. Blue bell is still in bloom and some some turtles along the river bank. Grilling burgers now.

PXL_20210420_202633319.jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Company hired a 6-sigma, Kaizen, efficiency expert, shit should get a little interesting around here.

Paddle shifters are fun to downshift when someone is tailgating me.
Does one actually need paddle shifters to get rear ended though? I have very little issue reaching down and bumping the shifter into 4th.

Much like turn signals on a BMW, it's just a superfluous switch nobody ever actually uses.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Company hired a 6-sigma, Kaizen, efficiency expert, shit should get a little interesting around here.
My guess is they'll start by fucking up the supply chain and ensure needed materials aren't there when needed. But they'll have all the statistical proof how that couldn't possibly happen.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just also came to say had paddle shifters on an old car, used them maybe twice after I first got it. Nice in theory, kinda useless IRL.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I had a Fit with paddle shifters. They were interesting for about as many minutes.
Large mountain passes in snowy conditions where people from out of town ride their brakes are best driven using your transmission for speed control. Paddles are an easy way to do that which doesn't involve needing to pull your hands off the wheel. I use them on the Honda every time we go over Berthoud, especially in enclimate weather.

Your Subbie is an automatic? I'll stick to rowing my gears, thanks.

I test drove a C6 Grand Sport that was auto with paddles. Awful.
Forester /= Corvette. Any true sports car should be manual, just for the fun of it. But electronic manuals are still faster (SMG/electronic double clutch/etc).

Stoney is doing all this work on a slush box Subaru?

:rofl:
Not a WRX, so it not like I bought a performance car on a slushbox. Forester XT is still the 4EAT, hence why I am planning on leaving the engine alone and just making the handling better. Again this loops back to "I have a low mileage Subaru that for $5-6k I can make fun and more modern re: interfaces" vs. $45k to get close to the same thing (albeit nicer, but I don't need that) in a new vehicle. "Investing" in a car is stupid. Keeping a car running and small amounts to keep you wanting it vs. new are worth it.

Also Wifey refuses to agree to me getting another manual again. She wants to be able to drive both cars and can't drive a stick.

Kinda would like some paddle shifters on my truck. Ford uses these retahhhhhhhhhded +/- buttons on the shifter arm:

View attachment 159323
That's fucking stupid.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I actually hit the gas while barely engaging the brake pedal so the brake lights come on. 'Cause I definitely don't want the dumbass rear-ending me, and this generally gets their attention immediately...
I enjoy the look of panic and coffee going everywhere in my rearview mirror...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just got a promotional email from the LBS with the ‘22 Sworks Levo. NZ$25,400. It is fucking ridiculous.

Just as a comparison, the absolute top spec YT Decoy has arguably a better part spec, carbon all the things, (especially vs. all that Specialized own shit on the Levo, bars, rims, tyres, all pretty average stuff) and the YT has actually nice ‘I’d pick it’ 3rd party stuff, but the YT is NZ$11,999 — literally less than half price, actually has a personality, and is, at least in my opinion a more capable and desirable ride. I don’t know who is buying this Levo shit, but they are IMO, fucking mugs.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I don’t know why this bothers me so much.

You (we) all pay double for an inferior product all the time. From fruit and veg, to phones, actually a lot of software comes under this category, cars, fucking sunglasses, cosmetics, many things. We’re happy to pay for a name or an ‘only-exists-in-marketing’ perceived advantage.

But $25K is a ridiculous amount of money for absolute max cost $10K of kit. And you pay a premium for nearly everything in the Spec range comparing bikes on parts spec to some degree.
Where I live, and I think worldwide, since COVID the bike industry has gone nuts, you can’t get a bike, can’t ship a bike. They are sold the second they hit.

Anyway, some fraction of all those new bike people will ride their bike more than once, a fraction of those will ride it 10 times, a fraction of those will get into the sport for real.

I think I hate:

— The decoupling of manufacturing cost plus (my idea of) a reasonable, moral profit. Like, sure, you can own part of a successful sports brand and earn enough to live a really fucking comfortable life — fine — vs. wondering about the decor on your second superyacht at which point your largesse can only really be seen as a selfish deprivation of others and a weakening of all human potential. Pay some fucking tax bitch. Pay your employees apparently a lot more. Your quality of life will not be affected (or will probably improve) and the world will be a better place for everyone.

— The idea that in this new climate all these new people think $25k is a reasonable amount to spend on a bike. Y’all wanna pay $150 for new grips? This is where we’re going. (I predict that number won’t age well in the coming inflation, but..)

— Worst of all, Spesh’s underlying value proposition now seems to be that they alone, with their unique experience, have some secret insight into ‘perfect’ geometry and ride characteristics. This is total shit on the same scale as being dumb enough to believe in sky fairies. Bike geo and ride characteristics are not magik. Maybe their superiority was slightly true one year in the 1990s but actually, IMO, in 2021and for a good while now their bikes are actually the average, the inoffensive middle ground. They are objectively not stronger, faster or any superlative in any aspect other than subjective opinion.

All this is bad for the sport IMO.

So yeah, fuck Specialized atm.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001