Quantcast

♣♣♣♣ Tues-of-the-Derp ôôôô

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I think if billionaire fat cats the first thing that comes to mind is bike industry moguls

When demand outstrips supply prices should remain low and bikes should be distributed by favor and political connections.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My guess is they'll start by fucking up the supply chain and ensure needed materials aren't there when needed. But they'll have all the statistical proof how that couldn't possibly happen.
My employer took this route several years ago. It's proven frustrating, to say the least. I'm sure the costs of missing whole flights is cheaper than us having actual parts. :rolleyes:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@stoney Porsche makes THE BEST auto in the world. What is optional in the GT3? A six speed manual, the way God intended.

my lust car right now is a GT3 Touring; 500hp, 6-sp gearbox. That said, I KNOW that Porsche's PDK will shift faster and moar perfectly than I ever could.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney Porsche makes THE BEST auto in the world. What is optional in the GT3? A six speed manual, the way God intended.

No shit. And when they went to all PDK their sales fell substantially. when I get my GT3 after the girls are through college, it will be a 6-speed. Wifey has no business driving that car, so she will not need to be able to.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My guess is they'll start by fucking up the supply chain and ensure needed materials aren't there when needed. But they'll have all the statistical proof how that couldn't possibly happen.

When I worked at Merck we had a product issue that was a good 3 years old. A bunch of different engineers worked on the project and made little progress. The issue was becoming a regulatory problem and the project got assigned to me and corporate sent a 6 Sigma Black belt problem solving expert to help me. He set up daily meeting first thing each morning, expecting it to take months to solve. On day two I told him I had a likely root cause and solution. Day three I had a design and test plan ready. He went home on day 4.

Actually I didn't really solve anything. I went and talked to one of the maintenance guys who was super sharp. He knew exactly what the problem was and how to solve it. I questioned why he never mentioned it before, he said because no one ever bothered to ask him about it.

I did figure out how to get our environmental test chambers to operate above the required 90% hummidity to run the tests. They were normally only capable of 85%, but I could get theme to 95% by basically tossing in a few wet towels in with the test items.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Surprisingly no, he started with telling us to get rid of half the machinists and sell a half dozen VF2s, that way our machine shop matches the output of the finishing department. Only probably is we currently have an 18 month backlog, and what we really need to do is figure out ways to increase output. Dude absolutely couldn't understand why we'd need to do that.

Fired.

The higher-ups are now leaning toward my plan, buy more tumblers, hire more guys, and get them trained up.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Surprisingly no, he started with telling us to get rid of half the machinists and sell a half dozen VF2s, that way our machine shop matches the output of the finishing department. Only probably is we currently have an 18 month backlog, and what we really need to do is figure out ways to increase output. Dude absolutely couldn't understand why we'd need to do that.

Fired.

The higher-ups are now leaning toward my plan, buy more tumblers, hire more guys, and get them trained up.
Sounds like he's got a backwards understanding of how line balancing works. You scale the line to meet the required output, not the other way around.

I worked as the primary Lean/Sustaining guy at a contract machine shop, and it's amazing how many people misunderstand how to properly apply it and when to compromise. We encountered the exact same issue, multiple cells of CNC machines making parts 24/7 processing through a single tumbling cell manned by 2 guys, and not even on a full time basis. I recommended increasing throughput, only the be ignored cause it "must be machining inefficiencies"1!1!! They backed off a but when I did inventory and found 8 weeks of backlog waiting to be tumbled that nobody knew we had.

Besides, you never tell management to get rid of people/machines. That's excess capacity and represents opportunity to make and sell more stuff. Figure out how to pivot that. Opportunity, not liability. Duh.

Kind of nerdy, but I recommend reading the book The Goal. It does a good job explaining how to maintain flexibility without hamstringing yourself in the process.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Fired.

that's how he wanted to solve a bottleneck? :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like he's got a backwards understanding of how line balancing works. You scale the line to meet the required output, not the other way around.

I worked as the primary Lean/Sustaining guy at a contract machine shop, and it's amazing how many people misunderstand how to properly apply it and when to compromise. We encountered the exact same issue, multiple cells of CNC machines making parts 24/7 processing through a single tumbling cell manned by 2 guys, and not even on a full time basis. I recommended increasing throughput, only the be ignored cause it "must be machining inefficiencies"1!1!! They backed off a but when I did inventory and found 8 weeks of backlog waiting to be tumbled that nobody knew we had.

Besides, you never tell management to get rid of people/machines. That's excess capacity and represents opportunity to make and sell more stuff. Figure out how to pivot that. Opportunity, not liability. Duh.

Kind of nerdy, but I recommend reading the book The Goal. It does a good job explaining how to maintain flexibility without hamstringing yourself in the process.

Corporate america sees lean manufacturing only as a means of cost cutting, not as a means of meeting manufacturing requirements and the people doing the cost cutting are only measured on the costs they cut and not the net results of their actions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I worked at Merck we had a product issue that was a good 3 years old. A bunch of different engineers worked on the project and made little progress. The issue was becoming a regulatory problem and the project got assigned to me and corporate sent a 6 Sigma Black belt problem solving expert to help me. He set up daily meeting first thing each morning, expecting it to take months to solve. On day two I told him I had a likely root cause and solution. Day three I had a design and test plan ready. He went home on day 4.

Actually I didn't really solve anything. I went and talked to one of the maintenance guys who was super sharp. He knew exactly what the problem was and how to solve it. I questioned why he never mentioned it before, he said because no one ever bothered to ask him about it.

I did figure out how to get our environmental test chambers to operate above the required 90% hummidity to run the tests. They were normally only capable of 85%, but I could get theme to 95% by basically tossing in a few wet towels in with the test items.
this is one thing that drives me insane - is how often the suits and bean counters just forget to go talk to the operators.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
this is one thing that drives me insane - is how often the suits and bean counters just forget to go talk to the operators.

The maintenance guys would talk shit and bust peoples balls and most of the engineers were afraid to talk to them. I've had my balls busted by various workers in 4 different countries and about 40 states, some dudes from the backwoods of Virginia posed little problems for me.

I helped one of the guys figure out the optimal header length for his dirt track car and I basically got an open checkbook of favors.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Corporate america sees lean manufacturing only as a means of cost cutting, not as a means of meeting manufacturing requirements and the people doing the cost cutting are only measured on the costs they cut and not the net results of their actions.
That's a sad reality, and it's a big part of the reason I left that job, despite having made huge contributions. Being "lean" and investing in "six sigma" is more than just doing a monthly gemba walk and including the terms in your marketing material.

It's a way of reducing waste, of which cost is only one. Unfortunately, the business people have a pretty myopic view and do not see how their aggressive cost cutting will increase costs on the manufacturing side.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"Imagine how much money mainteneance could save if we got if we of we got rid of all the parts!" - some bean counter in accounting, probably.
On my last project my funding request for spare parts repeatedly got rejected. On day one we had a critical part failure and I was asked to come up with a work around plan to continue production for the 20 weeks it was going to take for that part to arrive.

Then people got mad at me because the work around plan took too much time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's a sad reality, and it's a big part of the reason I left that job, despite having made huge contributions. Being "lean" and investing in "six sigma" is more than just doing a monthly gemba walk and including the terms in your marketing material.

It's a way of reducing waste, of which cost is only one. Unfortunately, the business people have a pretty myopic view and do not see how their aggressive cost cutting will increase costs on the manufacturing side.

Deferred cost is an unknown concept in America

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The maintenance guys would talk shit and bust peoples balls and most of the engineers were afraid to talk to them. I've had my balls busted by various workers in 4 different countries and about 40 states, some dudes from the backwoods of Virginia posed little problems for me.

I helped one of the guys figure out the optimal header length for his dirt track car and I basically got an open checkbook of favors.
or take them out for drinks at the end of their shift

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005

May give that a read, this sorta isn't my department nor my problem really, but I do like doing things, and solving problems, so may as well get this shit sorted out, right?

We're in an interesting position in that we're highly profitable, but also stupid inefficient, and due to the nature of our business most of the local labor market is ineligible to work here. To me it's a scary place to be because this is the exact point where shit can go horribly wrong, a couple little hiccups, a slight dip in demand, really anything can send you into a death spiral from here because the foundation is weak. The up side is that we have the money to hire good guys when we can find them, pay them enough to keep them around

Getting rid of paid-off machines that make us a ton of money was what sent one of the owners over the top. The due's whole plan just seemed nuts, and somehow he had our machining efficiency at 96% which it's honestly nowhere near.

that's how he wanted to solve a bottleneck? :rofl:

It was wild, he just could not wrap his head around there being any other way to solve it. We kept asking if his plan was a temporary slow down to clear the backlog and rebuild, but nope, that's when he started talking about selling machines.

This guys came highly recommended, has consulted for Toyota, Briggs & Stratton, Ford, Boeing, all kinds of serious factories. I can only assume he's so used to working in unprofitable environments that he's stuck in the mindset of reducing burn-rate at all costs. We reduced our burn-rate by getting rid of him, great success!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Our local non-profit trail crew has been working on getting a Velosolutions track put in my lovely home town for a decade. Found an acre of space the city owns and they gave the official nod over the winter. Just received a grant of 2k to help pay for the design. Need another 7k to design it and about a million to build it. No sweat. Haha

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Our local non-profit trail crew has been working on getting a Velosolutions track put in my lovely home town for a decade. Found an acre of space the city owns and they gave the official nod over the winter. Just received a grant of 2k to help pay for the design. Need another 7k to design it and about a million to build it. No sweat. Haha
damn-either that's a huge pumptrack or their prices have gone up...good luck!
i think the one they did here was $250k, although the county may have done all the site prep. they also just recently ponied up for lights too!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
May be worth reaching out to these guys if you need thoughts/help on fundraising https://sapwibikepark.com/

They built a fucking awesome bike park in my hood, pump track, a bunch of really well groomed jump lines, and more in the works. Town bike parks are sweet!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
damn-either that's a huge pumptrack or their prices have gone up...good luck!
i think the one they did here was $250k, although the county may have done all the site prep. they also just recently ponied up for lights too!
We have about an acre to fill up with track. Shooting for ADA compliant portion and big boy line plus kiddo line and whatever else fits!