Quantcast

2006 Corvette Z06

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
2006 Corvette Z06

LS7 7.0-liter V-8 (the displacement works out to 427 cubic inches) reportedly churns out 500 horsepower.

The ultimate 'Vette also will be fitted with wider tires and larger Brembo brakes.

Body modifications include a high-rise hood, deep side skirts and cooling ducts ahead of the rear wheels.

The 2006 Z06 is constructed around a perimeter-style frame just like other Corvettes, but the main rails beneath it are hydroformed out of aluminum instead of steel. The front engine cradle on the street car is made of lightweight and robust magnesium. And where the final year of the old Z06 included a carbon-fiber hood largely for commemorative-edition fanfare, the new Z06 takes advantage of that exercise by including carbon-fiber front fenders and wheelhouses plus sheet-carbon floorboards surrounding the model's traditional balsa-wood core. There's a lightweight, non-removable magnesium roof panel that simultaneously lower the Cg and greatly increases rigidity. And despite the addition of numerous beefier, heavier performance components such as larger brakes, heavier antiroll bars, and wider wheels, the 2006 Z06 weighs nearly 50 pounds less than the standard C6 (or some 3130 total) thanks to the extensive use of advanced chassis and body materials.

On the outside, the Z06 body includes several visual updates to separate this FIA stalking horse from the cooking C6. The more obvious changes include a central hood intake, flared wheelarches stretching a full three inches wider than standard, cooling ducts for the rear brakes, stouter front-fender vents, and reworked nose and tail caps. It's a relatively short list of differences, but the changes are substantial enough to ensure that the new Z06 stands out even more than the much loved C5 version. On the inside, unique lighter, grippier leather seats are joined by a smaller and much more attractive three-spoke wheel, standard HUD and air conditioning, and reduced sound insulation.

Still, like its predecessor, the majority of the upgrades have taken place underneath, starting as always in the engine compartment. Followers of the C5R racing effort are well aware of that car's potent powerplant, a bored-and-stroked interpretation of the familiar Gen-III V8. With a huge 4.125-inch bore and four-inch stroke giving a Rat-sized 427 inches of displacement, the "smallblock" designation was somewhat of a misnomer for that engine, even though it retained the same external dimensions as its LS1/LS6 forebears.

That same 427 is slated to continue in the C6R, but thanks to the much closer relationship between road and race trim demanded by new FIA/ACO/ALMS rules, the roadgoing Z06 will get its own 427 (Mat-motor? Rouse-motor?) for 2006. The numbers are nothing short of staggering: a full 500 horses at 6200 rpm, 475 lbs-ft @ 4800, a sub-four 0-60 dash, and quarter-mile sprints in under 12 seconds—a set of bogus plates and a false identity card would be nice additions to the glovebox. Despite being essentially a re-thought race motor, this new Z06 mill (called LS7 by GM) also promises remarkable tractability, thanks to receiving the same level of engine-management attention given its junior cousins.

While its exterior dimensions and general layout are shared with the LS2, the new LS7 is based on a separate block casting and assembled by hand at GM's new Performance Build Center in Wixom MI. The punched-out aluminum block carries lightweight titanium conrods attached to aluminum flat-top pistons giving 11.0:1 compression. Six-bolt, CNC-machined, forged-steel main caps are needed to keep the assembly together.

CNC machining is also utilized on the new aluminum heads, which boast an 18% improvement in airflow over LS2 units. Nearly straight tunnel-like intake runners feed the air/fuel charge through huge 2.2-inch titanium intake valves while 1.62-inch, sodium-filled hollow exhaust valves let spent gasses back out. A hydraulic-roller cam provides a significant .591-inch lift, even before taking into account the super-high-ratio rocker arms.

As on the C6R's race engine, hydroformed four-into-one tubular headers carry the exhaust from the heads, after which it's routed into a model-unique set of catalytic converters and dual-mode mufflers. The latter include a vacuum-operated valve that stays closed at low revs to manage noise and opens at larger throttle angles for minimum backpressure. The engine is lubricated by racing-style dry-sump oiling, which ensures complete lubrication under all cornering loads. Despite the massive displacement, lightweight internals give the LS7 a 7000-rpm redline in roadgoing trim—a figure more commonly associated with multivalve twincam Fours than traditional pushrod V8s.

The LS7's significant output is channeled through a lightweight flywheel and clutch assembly feeding a strengthened version of the previous model's Tremec six-speed transaxle. This rear-mounted gearbox includes a pump that routes transmission fluid through the front radiator stack for additional cooling, after which the chilled fluid is also used to help cool the lubricant in the limited-slip diff on the way back. The latter unit features an enlarged ring-and-pinion assembly and turns upgraded halfshafts and U-joints.

Huge 325/30ZR19 rear Goodyears put the power to the ground; the matching Eagle F1 Supercars up front are 275/35ZR18s. These ride on Z06-specific split-spoke alloys measuring 18x9.5 front and an imposing 19x12 at the rear. The basic suspension layout is shared with the standard Corvette, but performance-directed upsizing of the spring rates, antiroll-bar diameters, and braking hardware sets the Z06 apart. The stopping is done by 14-inch vented and crossdrilled rotors up front and 13.4-inch pieces out back, an increase of more than an inch at both ends. New six-piston calipers in front and four-piston units in back handle the clamping needs.

Corvette enthusiasts will undoubtedly applaud the comprehensive component list associated with the new Z06, but all that hardware is certain to come with a price. While the previous Z06 was able to hit showroom floors with a very digestible sticker thanks to its focus on just a few well-placed modifications, the more complete package that comes with the C6 version will inevitably equate to a tougher-to-swallow tariff.

Chevy insiders have sworn on their dead grandmothers' graves that the base Porsche 911 price was the program's target, yet it's hard to believe all that carbon, aluminum, and other specialized hardware can really be delivered in the high-60s; even a $75,000 sticker would be a spectacular value, especially compared to the six-figure tab of the Ford GT. On the other hand, anything more than that sum is likely to raise unfortunate accusations of ZR1-itis—it's hard to see how Chevy can win either way.

Providing cutting-edge hardware to the always-loyal Corvette fans appears to have played a key role in the new Z06's formula, but GM's renewed dedication to racing carries most of the drive for this Corvette supercar. Not that it really matters—either one of these motivating factors would be cause for celebration, especially given the praise heaped on the marque's glamourous heroes of yesteryear. It's great to admire the Grand Sport and L88, but neither of those legends was the result of such a legitimate street/track partnership, and neither one's nearly this fast.

The Corvette family's fastest street car and fastest racecar now have more commonalities than differences: seven-liter powerplant, dry-sump oiling, lightweight chassis, carbon-fiber bodywork. In the more restrictive environment of 2005's racing rules that was inevitable, but GM could have just as easily chosen to downgrade the C6R or cease racing altogether. This time around the company has decided to do what's best for both the street and the track. History ought to be doubly kind to any Corvette that comes out of that.

i had a 1995 Z07 Corvette white with red interior man...i loved that car i may have to get me one of these bad boys when they come out...

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
All the power and technology and they'll still rattle after 5000mi, just like a $10,000 Cavalier.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
lovebunny said:
man that is sweet. ive allways love corvettes and the new ones just amaze me. they look like ferraris. i love em. and that thing is insane
Never compare a Corvette and a Ferrari. NEVER they shouldn;t even be used in the same paragraph. :monkey:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
t66 said:
All the power and technology and they'll still rattle after 5000mi, just like a $10,000 Cavalier.
The interior is sooooo ugly to. Why would anyone buy that car. Urgh

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I think the only other american car that was better than a ferrari in its day is this...

foreing car, american muscle... the only other american car with such good history/name is the old ford GT 40 le mans car.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
these were featured on TLC's "Rides". first 'vette i've ever actually wanted. oh man, they are sweet.

black, black rims, dark tint, no badging, black/red interior....guess i better start wrapping quarters.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
JMAC said:
The interior is sooooo ugly to. Why would anyone buy that car. Urgh

cus some of us dont make 300 g's a year :eviltongu

but there are allot better used cars for that price. spend a little more and you can get a nice used audi...

edit: im considering buying one of these sweeties for my first car.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
The new corvettes are awesome! I think this is the best looking model yet. They do look very elegant(haha) and extremely fast. Ill just keep on dreaming now though.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
mack said:
cus some of us dont make 300 g's a year :eviltongu

but there are allot better used cars for that price. spend a little more and you can get a nice used audi...

edit: im considering buying one of these sweeties for my first car.
DB9 isn;t 300Gs, it's more like 200 canadian Gs;) and how much in the new vette selling for anyway?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
70 g's!!! bawffffff, what a hoot, i thought they were more like 40.... or somthing. you can get a maserati for that money.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Maserati's don't make the same horsepower, though they are more refined.

And actually, you may start to see more comparisons between vettes and ferraris. With 0-60 in the low 4's/high 3's, this is almost a direct competitor for the 575m, which may be on it's way out. Nowhere near as luxurious, nor does it have the desire factor, but it's faster, and with the 100-150g's you save, you can buy an italian girl to sit next to.

@mack, be careful with that car. If you really think you have the time, patience, and money, go for it, but otherwise get a jap or domestic car for your first. I know you want something fast and fun, and that alfa will be, but new brakes on that alfa could easily run triple what new brakes in a civic would cost. And you will need new brakes.

I just went from a civic to an Audi Quattro (83), and while the car is incredibly much more fun, my mpg halved in both city and highway, and there are things wrong with the car that i didn't even know could happen. Yeah, every time i hit the big pedal, my smile gets larger and all the worries go away, but you'll find yourself paying massively for odd bits and pieces. Unless you can find a donor, and you may be able to.

Other options, if you don't want something that is no fun, are the homologation specials, which include the 323 gtx, the impulse, merkur xr4ti, celica alltrac, etc. These cars are easier to find, and replacement parts won't kill you. 3 of the 4 have AWD, and all are turbo. The merkur is RWD. All of them are used in rallies, with the gtx being most common. They all have power to spare, but shouldn't get you killed either. If I could do it again, would I pick my $7000 Audi Quattro Turbo (Ur) or the $3000 isuzu impulse RS I had my eye on? That's a tough one...but i'm happy with my decision.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
This Z06 info is old news. It has been all over the internet for a while and Autoweek did a story on it at least two weeks ago.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
damn i guess i'm too "old school" for this bunch and dig american cars. :rolleyes:

the new mustang is a big let down from the awesome concept car but roushe and saleen's have made it better looking and the SVT mustang is comming out next year. i always dug the old camaros and firebirds and owned a 81 Z-28 an a 84 Z-28 5.0 HO and the poontang machine in college a 85 IROC-Z those cars were big rattle traps but fun none the less.

due to being a naughty boy and a few DUI's my hot car wings were clipped in late 96 when my 1995 vettes insurance tripled and i was paying $500 a month in premiums the car got sold shortly after that and i've been a toyota truck driver since then.

i really have not seen any car cought my fancy besides maybe a saleen mustang or a tricked out ram air trans am but if GM goes ahead and give the green light for this bad boy it's on!!! i'll be at the dearlership ASAP

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0309phr_5camaro/

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Just when I thought the vette was the ugliest car you post these new pics. I;m blown away.....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hmmm...seems Kitty and i have the same taste in cars. 'cept, i couldn't drive until '97, so i couldn't really appreciate poontang machines of the mid-80's.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
hell since we are at it...why not post some more cars that none of us will ever own JMAC

1988 callaway sledgehammer 898.0 bhp @ 6200 rpm 772.2 ft lbs @ 6200 rpm top speed 254.8 mph

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
i actually rode in one of these 85 ferrari 288 GTO one of the owners of the brokerage firm my father worked at was a exotic car nut (along with a coke and gambling addict) and owned one of these along with a lamborghini countash 5000 s that i aslo got to ride in.

the car was a f*cking rocket ship and so was the lambo the guy was so flush with cash that he owned a exotic car dealership for fun and would get all the "grey" market cars in he had an alpina BMW, one of the first AMG 500sl in the states along with some slant nose 911 turbos he had a ferrari daytona and a bunch of other hot cars in the early 80's

the best story was when this guy bought one of the very first 84 corvettes when they came out in 83 and rolled it less than a week later driving coked up and drunk in the rain at 3am he crawled outa the totaled car walked up to a strangers house knocked on the door asked if he could use the phone called his lawyer who came an picked him up before any cops could show up and give him a DUI. the lawyer told him to "hide" in the bushes so that cops coulden't find him to bust him near the car. he later tried to call it in as a stolen car but the cops found the keys in the ignition along with his wallet

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my aunt & uncle had a Ferrari back in the early 80s. later on they had a Porche and a helicopter. i only got to ride in the heli.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Quick Poll:

1. I'm not of age to drive.
2. I've been licensed for under a year.
3. I've been licensed for 1-5 years.
4. I've been licensed longer than 5.
5. I've lost my license.
6. I've actually driven the car I commented on.

:eviltongu

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Quick Poll:

1. I'm not of age to drive.
2. I've been licensed for under a year.
3. I've been licensed for 1-5 years.
4. I've been licensed longer than 5.
5. I've lost my license.
6. I've actually driven the car I commented on.

:eviltongu
#4 here AND I'll put $100 on that jmac & xthunder are both posers and have never even drove a vette

so I say they shut up! (untill they take one for a spin)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mack said:
70 g's!!! bawffffff, what a hoot, i thought they were more like 40.... or somthing. you can get a maserati for that money.
40? wtf? a damn toyota suv w/some options is $40k

and I doubt the '06 will be $20k over a loaded '05

2005 Corvette
MSRP: $52,525.00*
Interior: Leather, Ebony
Exterior: Millennium Yellow, Exterior
VIN: 1G1YY24U455106684

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Corvettes have unmatched bang-for-your-buck. Say what you will about the interior, the styling, etc. That's all subjective. That fact that, given the same driver, it runs circles around cars that cost twice as much isn't.

For anyone who file-shares with Kazaa or the like, do a search on C6 corvette + Top Gear (the brit auto mag). They hate everything american on that show. They hated the corvette. Then their driver took the car for some hot-laps on the track that they test all of their cars on. The corvette was somewhere near the top 5 overall. Bested only by supercars costing 4 times as much.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the DB9 is too heavy. always was.
never really like the vet. the new one does look a lot better though.
i'll stay with Ferrari's