Quantcast

2006 Corvette Z06

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you'll never be able to afford a stratos, if you could, you shouldn't be asking these questions....

the mercury capri is essentially a rebadged mustang fox body...which can be fun, but really isn't anything spectacular, unless you put a little work into it. They came with 5.0s and 2.3 turbo fours...either of which are cool engines, and probably produced similar power figures.

how much can you spend on said new car?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I think that the new corvette is taking after the designs of the older Mitsubishi 3000 GT, and the NSX:

It's as though the American designers have had their heads in their butts for the last 10 years, while the European and Japanese designers can rely on their audience to change quickly with new concepts........

Recently went to the Washington Auto Show, and saw this (very unobtainable) beauty, Mercedes SLR McLaren:

only $500k *sigh*

It would practically be a waste to have one in the States, though.
Just like having a Ferrari, Lotus, Maserati.....why have one in the land of 35 mph speed limits (unless you take them on the track)?

Something I would like:

only problem with it.......it's a rally car, but if you take it racing at all, and Mitsubishi finds out...... they void your warranty.

Saw this at the Washington Auto Show, Jeep Treo:

It's so ugly, it's cute.

What I was interested in was how they designed the bike carrier:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sandwich said:
<snip>
to hellcat: i've heard that one before, and it's still not funny. you've never seen a quattro? or at least heard of one? mine has about 220 hp, awd, 5cyl turbo....it was the first car with AWD...and it crushed rally in it's infancy.
It was top in its game in almost any class in which it raced because of the "light-years ahead of its time" AWD technology. I presume you've seen the special that someone did awhile back called something like "Unfair Advantage"? It was all about how the Quattro thumped everybody in racing for a number of years.

There's this one clip of a road race and it's raining cats and dogs. This Quattro takes the OUTSIDE line to pass a competitor on a sharp right-hander. It's amazing. :eek:

-S.S.-

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
id like to be able to spend about 8, but itll probably be around 6. maybe my dad could take out a loan for me, but i doubt it. :(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well the quattro in toronto is 5, and that may be in canadian...you can get a very solid car for that much. URs are fun, able, and fickle. Be prepared to get grease under your nails, but I highly recommend it. Full boost in these cars is like pure adrenaline...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Pix:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/gallery.aspx?section_id=31&section_prefix=comparisontest&webtrends_section=comparisontest&article_id=6331&window_id=1&gallery_id=920&page_number=1&seq=1

The ZR1 is a 600 plus horsepower super Corvette, with production is limited to just 2000 units a year. It will likely cost in the neighborhood of $100,000. The car’s platform is the already stellar Z06 Corvette that features an aluminum chassis and 505 horsepower from a 7.0-liter small-block V-8. The ZR1 takes the next step and uses forced induction by means of a new Eaton 4-lobe supercharger mounted on a revised 6.2-liter V-8. Horsepower isn’t known yet, but claimed to be well above 600.

To keep all that power in check are some massive brake rotors sourced from Brembo. In fact, they are nearly the same rotors used on a Bugatti Veyron and barely fit inside the 19-in. front wheels. The rear brake rotors fit comfortably in the 20-in. wheels and are the same as those used on the front of a Ferrari Enzo.

The Z06 is a superb track car, and the ZR1 is really pushing the Corvette envelope to the limit. But unlike the Z06, which is all about track performance, the ZR1 retains more civility thanks to Magnetic Ride control that gives varying degrees of damping—allowing the car to switch from comfort to sport with the push of a button.

You’ll recognize these on the road most easily by the carbon-fiber roof, enlarged air ducts and the clear hood window. Not to mention the smile on its owners face.