Quantcast

2006 UCI Masters Worlds (mega thread!)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
. . . when that trail turns into HP, it will be hell to ride . . .
I honestly don't see how they will ever be able to use that upper 1/3 again for any MTBing. With no water bars, spring breakup next year is going to strip most of the soil of it away and they'll be big gullies. They actually looked like ribboned-off skidder trails.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Sounds like a fair and even handed description of the event to me. Si is a very well respected racer from a country that has bred the 2 current World Cup champs, he's also just been put in charge of running the National series over here. If he says the track was below par, it was. .
He could be Steve Peat my opinion would be the same!! I think his view was very bitchy sounding and did not reflect the quality of the event. May be being used to NORBA races my expectations are low but I thought the race was fairly well run (although the 35-39 wait for results was lame). Anyway, the course was unique and fun (though scary too ride). In my opinion course don't have to all look the same. Variety is what makes racing fun. Sure it was different from what some people expected but in the end it required skills, strength and balls. What more is needed from a race course?

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
At first I hated the course but then found it fun to ride. That being said I still think it sucked as a race course (so did Shaums March who won the race). The course was a test of balls and fitness more than skill (look how close the times were). Alex is right, no off camber, few flat turns no roots or rocks, nothing really challenging. I have a business to run and don't like UNNESSASARLY putting my life and/or lively hood at risk to win a race. Vermont this year was crazy too but it still took skill to do well.

They had a few alternatives (barn burner and insanity one) that would of been much better. The timing was very suspect too, a lot of mistakes (my class was the last class to be post and they announced that one of the riders had been dq'ed for leaving the course and not returning where he left but the results did not reflect that, and the 35-39 class was way sketchy).

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
At first I hated the course but then found it fun to ride. That being said I still think it sucked as a race course (so did Shaums March who won the race). The course was a test of balls and fitness more than skill (look how close the times were). Alex is right, no off camber, few flat turns no roots or rocks, nothing really challenging. I have a business to run and don't like UNNESSASARLY putting my life and/or lively hood at risk to win a race. Vermont this year was crazy too but it still took skill to do well.

They had a few alternatives (barn burner and insanity one) that would of been much better. The timing was very suspect too, a lot of mistakes (my class was the last class to be post and they announced that one of the riders had been dq'ed for leaving the course and not returning where he left but the results did not reflect that, and the 35-39 class was way sketchy).

lots of riders blew berms and left the track and didn't get back on
where they left. all those berms, they needed more course marshals.